View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzie View Post
Can I ask, did you use 3mm spacer in the shock to remove the droop?

Does the car feel better with the copper roll bar on the front? I ran the black on Sunday
Yeah out of the box the car has the suspension travel of a 1/5th scale monster truck! I tried running it on kit setup but having so much droop made it roll and pitch a lot. The longer than usual shocks give you the option of limiting things exactly how you want as far as travel is concerned, I think a lot of people that run it will find a setup they like and stick with it but having the option of lots of droop if you've got a huge jump to land or something is still there.
One of the (many) things things that stood out driving it compared to my B44 was how little the chassis bottoms out. I could hit jumps and bumps at speeds that would have had the B44 slapping on the ground and double bouncing all over the place but it just took it no problem, even with the limited droop (it still has more than the 44 did).

I didn't play about with rollbars too much through the day, I just stuck with the kit copper/silver and changed other things as to me they felt about right. I know Nathan was messing about with different ones but ended up right back where I was, it felt more balanced and stable with the softer copper bar on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
Look forward to seeing it go Rich
Does look proper nice - did you not miss the slipper then at RHR?

How does the centre diff feel - still not sure what it's supposed to do in a 10th scale....
No slipper wasn't really an issue, the drivetrain seems pretty solid (I was intentionally landing on full throttle/brake trying to be really hard on it). It did wheelie on certain parts of the track, but my 44 would have wheelied just the same with the same power and the Durango diffs fitted. On the subject of the drivetrain it would be a good idea to leave a freshly built car running on the bench for a while, out of the box the bearings have quite a bit of thick grease in them so when you first run it can feel a little tight to the point of being a bit like a drag brake when you let off the throttle. Mine had all day running and it's still freeing up, Nathan's car had an extra day's worth of testing on it and it felt nice and free to drive.

You can really feel the centre diff working on hairpins and tighter parts of the track, the car seems to flow effortlessly round tight corners without scrubbing speed at all. Also unlike solid prop 4wd's you can brake really hard and late and still have steering instead of the fronts locking and ploughing straight on. I think it helps accelerating through bumps too - for anyone that's driven the new run onto the banking at RHR on the left hand side of the track the car was easily stable enough to be flat out right from jumping out of the bombhole by the stepup, all the way through the banked corner and to the end of the straight.

Initial impressions compared to other car's I've driven...
Rotates on hairpins like a DEX410
Forward drive and stability like a B44
Goes through bumps like a XX4
Zero understeer
Feels as agile and light on it's feet as a 2wd
Easily the fastest thing I've ever driven on initial acceleration out of corners

I've only run the shorty car so far, Niggs was switching all day but mostly running the saddle car. At the end of the day we put my setup on his shorty car and both agree that's what we'll be running at Kidderminster. The saddle layout was safer to drive but the extra agility of the shorty layout was better overall.