View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmount74 View Post
My eldest son is only 9 but pretty handy. The main problem being he is just so unaware of the cars around him. He is concentrating 100% on his driving and not on any car coming to lap him. The guys lapping him were A finalists so should know better. However shouting abuse at a 9 year old is not really on. I do understand that its frustrating to get taken out/held up but hey its only fun right? I make a point of trying to educate him with driving etiquette and it will come with time but we shouldn't put them off.
I've seen this myself and also had it myself when I borrowed a mates car that was an absolute dog ( tamiya mini - battery fell out on corners and everything ), some bloke got a right cob on when I didn't move over quick enough for him. I went straight over and apologised for upsetting his lap as soon as the race was over. He wasn't interested ( I'm 38, not a young kid ), it was his attitude. The thing is if they're 'that' good and can see you're coming up on a slower driver they should allow for that and pass him in an appropriate place, there are plenty of opportunities to go around someone rather than through them ! I hope it hasn't put your son off. These people seem to be above this though and forget we all have to start some where. New blood should be encouraged into the sport whatever it takes, so if you get taken off or are a lap down at the end of it maybe better to go and give the person some encouragement and some hints and tips rather than putting them down. It took the guy who got arsey with me at the start of the evening all night to come over and say he was just caught up in the moment of the race but he did at least bother, just before I went home...

This is a great thread, I hope shops and clubs are going to take note of it.

My paintwork thread