View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by styleone View Post
Good to see another convert ey...nice to see a great photo of the track you are running on as well and the fact your are finding success with the old mid guts on loose/dirt ...always good to see new owners enjoying this great platform ...as Paul said, it would be interesting to see what starting set-up you are running...oh...I'll have a look at your set-up sheet I'm so blind sometimes
Ta mate.
As for the track though, it's about to get ripped up, this coming Monday work will begin to put down a 37m x 20m clay pad which we are going to put our own layout down.
Kind of a shame as I have grown to like the current track but it is in desperate need.
Each time it rains (quite often lately), people have been going out with brooms to try and sweep the water off to get it dry in time to race one and it's slowly destroying what was left of the track (has been there for years but never took off last time, so has been neglected since).
The picture really does not show just how bad it is.

Would appreciate any tips you could give, have only been racing since end of March but things are only just starting to come together at the track and so I'm still learning lots of new things (even though I have been in the hobby for nearly 3 years now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic And View Post
You could try to change the front inline axles to trailing put the servo forward and try the 2hole piston in front shocks with 35 oil
Rear arm position and hub position all way front and for anti-squat try one big and one small washer
Mid-Motor cars need different braking style from rear motor cars
You must use more the brakes on straight and not inside the turn and try less EPA for brakes than usually did on rear motor car
I have thought about trying the trailing axles, I do have them, if I get a chance to get back to the track before Monday, I'll chuck them on and see how it goes.

The servo is forward already sorry, I made a mistake there.

I have slowly been trying different shock/spring/piston setups, I have a few to test with.
I have all kyosho pistons (and a couple of tamiya ones), with a set I have drilled out to 3x1.5mm, full set of Kyosho springs (I think it's a full set) and a set of Schumacher springs (missing 2 pairs I think).
I also have 3 sets of Kyosho velvets so I should be able to do some back to back testing.
I have AE 25w, 30w, 35w and 40w aswell.

I have been trying different hub/arms spots to see if I can notice much difference, at the moment I can only notice very minute differences, I havn't tried all towards the front yet though.

I'll try that extra anti-squat washer, I noticed the rear a little more planted in a straight line when I put the first small washer in.

Yeah, I am noticing a few differences with the mid motor, just a matter of getting used to it but so far I like it, feels more natural to me, can actually drive it whereas the rear motor stadium truck I had before was more of a suggestion and point 'n' shoot.

I'm still getting used to the features on my EX-10 Helios and will try out a lower EPA.
I also have the 211/boost/timing software on my Xerun 60a ESC which has more options for brakes aswell.
Whats the go with using ABS in 2wd EP buggies, just thinking there would be even less chance of locking up the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsykes View Post
I agree with Nic, the driving style is different to the rear motor buggy. I always run extra weight especially under the ESC and also to each side of the centre line under the lipo. The ride heights you were quoting on the setup sheet look a little low. Cannot comment on the shocks as I run Losi but generally higher weight in the front than the rear, 35wt & 30wt normal. In general my X6 weighs in heavier than my Cat SX.

Hope some of the above has been of help.
Yeah, I have lifted it up a bit more now, was a bit low, dragging the rear end around in some parts.

I was thinking about getting some stick on lead weights and running stiffer springs, as it is now, stiffer springs just make it bounce around too much but need them for the ride height and to stop it from dragging around.
My thought was a bit more weight would make the suspension work a little better with the stiffer springs (probably counter-intuitive though, haha).
The main problem with this is that I am running in a 17.5t class and don't have much power to spare.

I did originally have 25wt rear and 30wt front with the smaller pistons but figured I would try larger pistons but needed a thicker oil, otherwise it was pretty much like water.
In return though, it seemed the rear tyres were in contact with the ground more often but bottomed out easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
Weighting on the car is much different on dirt than on astro/grass, so be careful there. Check the various set-up sheets posted on our site -- you'll see the U.S. ones (dirt) usually have much less weight and some of it is positioned differently.
Thanks, I'll take a look at those setup sheets soon.
Main reason I am doing what I am doing now is because I want to learn how they got those setups, and make one that works for me, on the track that I race on.

If I make a lot of mistakes in the process, then hopefully, I'll be learning from them.

Cheers fellas.

Also, I have been messing about with it some more in the front yard and changed a few more things, seems more stable and predictable now, can really throw it into the turns (still need to confirm on the track though).

EDIT:

I have put on a sway bar (black B4, might get some piano wire to make a thinner one soon) and noticed it felt even better, pretty much planted and didnt break rear traction as often.
Steering felt a little more linear aswell.

I pulled the front end apart to take a look at the steering because I noticed that it didnt seem to keep the wheels pointed right in a turn, looked at the servo saver and noticed that the threads that the aluminium nut/bolt thingy goes into was partially striped.
So I glued the servo saver together and noticed another improvement.
Feels really good now.

I then changed the tyres to VP Pro 201 (I think thats what they are) and got a bit more mid corner/ on power steering.
I could do with just a little more but its feeling pretty good now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x6new.jpg (429.0 KB, 20 views)