Thread: Front One-Way
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
Another plus side of the gear diff is how flexible the tuning is. Rather than mucking around with an extra 1/16th of a turn on the ball diff, then brinelling the plates, you just change the oil viscosity, you can dial out understeer quite easily by playing with front and rear oils. Or running with two gears instead of 4, and so on. Just because the one you tried understeered, don't assume they all do.

And they don't slip. My first car after i came back to racing had a ball diff. If it drove well, it slipped under high power, if it was tight enough to not slip, it was too tight to drive. And that wasn't even with a silly motor.

And as for C ratings, i found it only really makes a difference when you get near to the end of the battery, so sort of 8-10 minutes in. Unless you have really cheap batteries. Gens Ace are the only "low C rated" batteries i've had any joy with. The Nanotechs have a far higher C-rating, but don't seem noticeably better than the gens ace, and a very similar price at the time.
(Also, bear in mind that there are many ways of measuring C rating, and lots of manufacturers pad their results, or lie.)
Hi, can you explain how you might change the diff oils to reduce understeer, especially when turning in to a corner? Thanks