View Single Post
Old 24-06-2012
Mad Member

The X - Fiber is something Speedy Dad made on his own -- he has a router and a mill in his garage and loves designing and building stuff of all kinds. He also has SW on his comp. From what I saw at Cactus -- the only time I've had the X - Fiber in my hands -- it would be extremely difficult to change the belt path on the molded chassis to something like what Dad designed.

Dad started with a flat sheet of CF, so his problem was how to mount the components. Most of the mounting is taken care of by the molded chassis; Dad designed and built aluminum parts to do the work, and these aluminum parts hold the driveline. From my memory, you would have to tear out much of the center belt tunnel, then build aluminum parts at least similar to Dad's to get the new path. When you cut out the belt tunnel, you lose much of the car's stiffness, so you may as well cut it all out. Heck, just start with a new sheet of CF as Dad did! LOL

We suggested to Dad that he might be able to sell the X - Fiber. At the time, three months ago, he said it would be far too much work to make small batches of them, and the cost would be astronomical. Plus, he has a wife, children, and a job. No time or interest to do production of whole cars. That's our job...

If you want to do it yourself, I think there is a pic on our FB page of the right side of the car that better shows how the thing works.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC