View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baD View Post
I would like to start a discussion thread here - one that will stay impersonal hopefully.

What are the responsibilities of a Club Member?

I find myself siding with DP in the matter of members helping/not helping at club events. I do not condone the tone of the posts but I support his message.

Members get a club at which to practice/race almost every week and in the near future may be able to race every day.
But what do they have to do for this? Pay a few quid here and there? Yes, pay your dues and help with all/any labours needed to ensure the club survives.

My personal view is to write this into the club membership agreement, or make it optional. i.e. a buy out clause to allow members out of the requirement to help out physically. Perhaps a £500 buy out per year?

Am I being serious, who knows, but the fact is I have over the years seen scores of parents and drivers give lip service to the idea of helping out and that's about the lot. They don't change because of the wonderful willing helpers who do the graft year in year out, and they pay the same race day and membership fees as the other lazy b*$t***s.

And I have to say this - the excuse that 'nobody ask me to help' is just total bullshit. Anyone with half a brain and can read, knows how much work is involved in Regionals and any other competition.

So - would anyone like to contribute suggestions to amendments of the constitution of JORCR?
I would like to take this thread right back to the first post.

What are the responsibilities of a Club Member?

The only answer is, Who knows?

Who can honestly say when they joined a club someone gave then a sheet of paper or verbally explained to them what being a club member involves?

At my place of work we have had alot of new starters recently and they all get several different levels of inductions.

They get an induction from Security, personnel, Their Senior Supervisor, Supervisor and then finally their Team Leader.

They are given a rule book outlining the companies terms and conditions.

Now I know this is extreme for a buggy club but imagine If you started a new job, did not get an induction or shown any terms and conditions, then got sacked a week later for leaving work early without packing your tools away????

You'd be straight down to a no win no fee solicitor to get your claim in.

My point again is:

How can anybody complain about club members not pulling their weight when the members have not recieved any information about whats expected of them as a member???