Thread: Another newbie
View Single Post
Old 16-09-2020

Default Another newbie

Hi All

I'm looking at getting back into the hobby after a brief stint 12 years ago but ended having to give up due to going uni etc. Everyone was so friendly on here and helpful someone even went out of their way to give me an RB5 I won at a raffle after leaving my first race early due to the ESC melting...

Anyway I dug out the RB5 a few weeks ago and have nearly built it (I know parts won't be easy to come by but it's brand new and seems a good starting point). I still have some basic electrics from the B4 I bought second hand so was thinking of using the transmitter, receiver and servo from that to get me started. I know they are old but they are easy to upgrade although the trans and rcvr need crystals so not sure if that would be an issue.

I still had a brand new Etronix Probe 12 so bought a 15t brushed HPI motor to go with that and some 3300 NIMH from Modelsport literally just to get me started but starting to think it might be a mistake. I'm only going to be a casual racer going to the odd race meetings that I can so I'm not looking to be the fastest but don't want to be so slow I get laughed at or annoy everyone else. How much slower would this set up likely be than the other newbies at an average race?

I don't mind getting a budget brushless ESC and motor combo but don't want to break the bank, a lot of posts seem to say a 120A esc is pretty essential and motor needs to be 8.5t or below? The other problem is the RB5's battery is mounted in the middle and if it's fan cooled will it fit the RB5 shell in the standard set up?

Also wondering if NIMH will be abit ancient now, would 2s LiPo be adequate and if so what mah would be recommended and how many for racing?

Sorry for the long post but thought I'd better ask now before my order arrives then i can return and upgrade if I need to. If I can get racing using as much as I can of what I have and upgrade over time I would be happy. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Josh