View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020

1) I've recently come back to the hobby and I don't think relative cost is more expensive (taking into account everything) than 10-15 years ago. I have noticed less physical shops but A LOT more online ones.

Yes, A Modified Brushless motor RRP is now £80-90 and back then it is was £50 for a Modified brushed but you get a longer lifespan plus no ancillary costs like brushes, skimming etc. Yes it is technically a higher price but why is that....

As the years go by the RPI pushes pricing up given the impression that things are a lot more expensive - You'd expect around 2-3% increase per year. I think we just get used to things being a price and we don't want that to increase in particular if you don't get a 2-3% pay raise each year to offset it.

I think this has a knock on effect to the physical shops, as you'll need a bigger margin to cover your overheads (premises, staff, gas/electric etc etc) and things are more cost effective providing services online. There is also the convenience element thrown into the mix. If you are not in a prime location, you aren't going to get the footfall into your store. It's just retail evolution and it's just a couple of reasons the general high street is dying IMO.

2) Definitely Facebook has had an impact to life on here. Trying to figure out why, I can only think it's because there are lots of specific user groups where Oople Forum is an all in one.

3) I think the rate of growth is fairly similar to 10-15 years ago. Lots more 'bashing' products which is another route into racing, when people want to take the hobby further. I think if you lost that element then you may see numbers drop.

I used to utilise actually Oople forum regularly until I stopped previously. It was the first place I looked when I got some interest back but admittedly I find it easier on Facebook as I'm normally already on there.