Thread: Intellect Bang
View Single Post
Old 23-07-2007

Send a message via MSN to gazbaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramey View Post
I bought 6 sets of ready assembled EP 4200 Mk II's from Modeltech and as I did not use them immediately I thought it best to discharge them and equalise them before their first charge.

The first 2 sets discharged without and problem but half way through discharging the 3rd pack there was an almighty bang and one cell had exploded across my living room floor, fortunately no one was hurt.

The other 3 sets discharged without any problem and I immediately telephoned Mike at Modeltech and told him what had happened. As instructed I returned the remains and the rest of the pack to him as requested. He was most concerned and apologised stating that they'd had no problems with the EP's, although another club member had one exploded whilst charging (don't know at what settings).

I said there was no need to apologise as he had no way of seeing inside these cells and he duly returned the pack with the defective cell replaced.

Although I never charge at more than 5 amps, with my driving more power isn't exactly needed, I could have understood it more if it had been charging but discharging!

I bought the EP's due to all the scare stories with the IB's and whilst a lot less frequent it would appear the EP's are not totally immune from problems.

I've not had any problems since, although they've only been used for one meeting, and hats off to Mike at Modeltech for standing by what he sells and sorting it so quickly.
Gramey
I got 5 sets of IB3800 and discharged plus equalized them as soon as i got them, ive had mine now for well over a year, and they still have loads of punch in them, ive had no problems what so ever