View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

EOS carpet does wear tyres, certainly as it ages. It's still very good though.
People do dislike it until they find a setup that works for their car, then they get it.

These options are all kind of irrelevant as the track surface will be dictated by your budget and the available space to fill, unless you have a bottomless pit of money, and no requirement to recoup the outlay to get setup. What do the building owners say you can/can't do?

I wouldn't say dirt tracks are dominant now in the rest of the world. Yes in america, but that's changing as they realise the benefits in the shift to a cleaner more car friendly surface.

New astro or carpet laid on a shaped dirt style track would be interesting for sure.

I love racing on Dirt, but many here in the UK don't like it, unfortunately. Mostly due to tyre cost, different setup/driving style needed, and wear and tear on the cars. Other environmental factors decide how good the dirt experience is, e.g. size, cover, is it cold in winter, is pitting outside, etc. We have RHR Dirt, which is the best dirt track in Europe, but when it was open for smaller club run meetings, people wouldn't come, or won't pay for tyres, which made it difficult to justify the work needed to get it race ready. One of my favourite meetings on there was a Yorcc run club meeting when it rained and the track was damp and sticky. The grip was awesome and the tyres didn't wear at all.
You can read and learn from the issues that unfortunately closed Storm Valley.

Sandy astro inside is a crazy idea, why would you do that, unless you had a huge pile of free astro ready to go, and the manpower and machinery needed to lay it.

An issue we've found with a permanent track is people seem to not like the fact that a track isn't changing for every meeting. Elsewhere in the world they lay a track and change it every few months or once a year in the down season. Here we seem to begrudge the fact that locals get more practice therefore must be faster than a visiting racer. I just don't get that argument, when for any "bigger" race meeting the people who build the track before also get lots of practice beforehand as a bonus for helping to build the track. At any meeting someone will always have had a bit more practice, and it doesn't mean they will win.

Is it a club venture, or a track as a business?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by neallewis; 08-11-2016 at 12:49 PM.