View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011

I'm a physio with about 10 years experience of working with musculoskeletal conditions. In answer to your question about the power of your leg following your lumbar spine surgery in 2008.

Your ability to recover depends on whether the muscle does not have power because it's nerve supply was affected and therefore became weaker or if the nerve was compressed enough that it is permanently unable to provide adequate signals to the muscle. If the muscle is just residually weak after the nerve returned to normal function then some strengthening exercise will help. If the nerve is compromised then it is unlikely to recover much strength. Given that you are still having problems now since 2008 I would think the latter scenario is the most likely one.

In saying that I would suggest that you find a physiotherapist near you who is state registered with the health professions council. That last bit is important as it means you will get a properly qualified physio. They will be able to assess you and advise you on how to maximise your function.

Good luck