View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018

Default Getting back into the hobby

Hello there!

Feels good to be back... I have been out of the hobby for about 3 years, thought I'd try and get back into it. I'll soon be in the market for a new RC once I've sold my current ones (Xray 808 .28 and Mini Erevo). I've owned quite a few over the years such as the Revo 3.3 and original ERevo, HPI Vorza, and a Kyosho Mega Force back in the day.

So as soon as I decided I wanted to get back into RC, I headed straight to the Traxxas site to see if they'd released anything new in the past few years. I was greeted with the new ERevo 2.0, and I thought it looked pretty good, even though it is pretty expensive. I enjoyed my old ERevo I sold a long time ago, however I did feel that even on 6s it didn't have the blistering speed a was after.

I then had a look over at HPI, but nothing new. I enjoyed driving the Vorza when I had it - I was actually using the Castle 2650kv motor on 6s for insane speed, which was not recommended as the motor could frequently exceed 60,000rpm if I remember correctly.

Whilst googling Traxxas, I noticed that they've become involved with a manufacturer called Arrma. After doing a bit of researching I am left with a slightly sour taste in my mouth regarding Traxxas. I also did some research on this company that was new to me, and I gotta say Arrma make some kick-ass kits! I was very surprised, and now the ERevo 2.0 has taken a back seat in my mind.

So! Apologies for the long intro, I've now got my sights set on an Arrma vehicle! Having researched them all extensively, I STILL can't figure out which one will suit me best... Price is not necessary an object if it is justified. I've "narrowed" my choice down to these:

- Nero (w/ diff brain)
- hard to get in UK, spares availability?
- heaviest therefore slowest?

- Kraton
- Looks decent, heard the Talion is faster

- Outcast (found one used for £350)
- Similar to Kraton, marketed as more of a 'fun' truck
- not really liking the stock bodyshell

- Talion
- Leaning towards this the most, potentially fastest.
- But looks like the cheapest (eg. no mudguards or centre brace) but is more expensive than Kraton?

- Fazon (can't find in UK)

Avoiding the Typhon as I'd like a change from buggies.

And that's my dilemma! I just can't decided which one to invest in. I don't race, only bash - typically in my local park which has a bit of everything, including asphalt. I'm terrible at making up my mind, so any help would be truly appreciated.

Cheers