View Single Post
Old 23-09-2011

As a non Mardave racer maybe I shouldn't try to push my opinion too much but I think having the next step up level could make things interesting.

Firstly I think a heatsink is not really a point in need of discussion is it? I can't see how the motors can get hot enough to lose much performance from not using one and they only cost £5 or so but clarity is the main point i guess, not so much the actual benefit of it.

Secondly, If the Mardave class opens up a little and splits in the 2, the "Top" class should not be completely open. There is an established ruleset which is being adopted by many clubs now which allow for things like open gearing, diffs etc but thats about it. I don't think we want to start goingg down the road of allowing custom chassis and suspension etc.

I'd reckon that if a 1S lipo, 13.5T no dynamic timing class was started which basically adopted the same rules as now but with added, diff, bearings all round and free gearing. The racing would be even closer than it is now.

The consistancy in battery voltage with all 1S lipo charging to 4.2V but a Nimh pack can vary depending on how good a pack is (usually also means how expensive) and we all know that a G2 has some variation in speed. I think these two things alone could make quite a difference overall.

Ever since the switch to Lipo and Brushless, I've become lazy in my RC racing as the cars seem to require less and less maintenance and I don't need to sit around putting my cells on a discharge tray and re-peak them at the right time and only use a pack once every 24hrs etc. I've not taken up Mardave for mainly those reasons. If there was a lipo brushless option available, I may be tempted to the dark side... but not until TC street class picks up a bit more