View Single Post
Old 14-10-2011

As a relative newcomer to RC car racing I have read these comments and posts with great interest.
I came along to Beds RCMCC following my son Brandon looking on the internet for a suitable place to race the 4wd buggy he got for xmas.
When we got here, we found out that there were plans to race buggies later but for now it was touring cars or mardaves indoors.
Well, we couldn't afford 1 touring car let alone 3!! So we 3 boys clubbed together, went to Russell's the next day and bought one off the shelf. When we got home I stripped an old HPI car that had been lying about for a couple of years for the servo and esc and radio gear and made the mardave up.
We came along to Bromham the following Friday and the 3 of us have never looked back. We really enjoy the racing and are constantly barracking each other and always trying to outdo each other. The general bonhommie and friendliness between everyone that turns up to the race meets is one of the main reasons we keep coming along.
I now have to keep a close eye over my shoulder as they are both nipping at my heels and seem to get better much quicker than I do.....

Liam's car (No2) was bought on eBay for less than £50 with servo esc and spares. 2.4Ghz radio gear cost £30

Brandon then took over the new car we'd bought and I got another cheap (£45) off eBay (sorry Russell)
So far the most expensive thing we've had to buy other than the cars is batteries.
I know my esc was once the cause of speculation but following a swap with a HPI one of Pauls I can confidently say that there is no real difference in performance.

The real difference in performance comes from the batteries you use.
I have spoken with Graham, Paul and Brian (Roberts dad) and the general concensus is that the real difference is in the batteries, so long as the chassis and tyres are set up properly, and the charger you use is suitable.

The batteries I currently use are 4300mAh matched cells that I
bought again from eBay and because they are 2nd hand and both cost less than a tenner. Yes I took a bit of a chance but it seems to have paid off. Both in terms of cost and performance. (result!!!)
The boys batteries are both 3300mAh and cost a tenner each from 'VAPEXTECH' directly.

However all that said and judging from the amount of relatively standard cars regularly attending each week, I think a standard class should still be the main focus of the club. Primarily to keep ongoing costs to a minimum and to keep attracting 'new blood' to the club.
As a parent of 2 entusiastic drivers and as a racer myself anything we can do to keep costs down is a big plus.
Though I say standard loosley as everyone has different tyres, tyre size and differing battery packs. Some have a power capacitor, I'll bet none of them are rated at the same values and the true benefit is in driver confidence.
If a modded class is introduced then it should be allowed to showcase the technical posibilities available irrespective of cost, but I would have to strongly suggest, given that the top drivers are now lapping standard Mardaves as quick as the touring cars, then it should run alonside the TC's or a joint street tc/modded mardave class. This would leave the current successfull mardave series to run unadultered to the enjoyment of all.

It would also fill the grid of the tc's giving them some competition.

Jason

Brandon, Liam and I will be staying with the loosley un-modded class of Mardaves, well within the rules and general spirit of the club.