View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012
Mad Member

Exactly what Mike has said, especially with the weather as it is at the moment and it being so wet, that won't help the paints to dry any quicker.

Heat it to death with the heat gun and put on very very light coats with lots of heat in between, also when you begin to paint heat the shell / previous paint so it's warm, this ensures the next coat will on better and also dry quicker.

When you paint up against a mask it often creates a lip of paint, so with that lip sometime it sort of sticks up, if it isn't covered fully and you then put another different type of paint over the top you'll get a reaction.

So far I can see you've used Jon's paint, then waterbased and then back it with an Aerosol, by nature aerosols contain a high solvent content in their paint, this is how they come out of the nozzle and also this is how they air dry so well, but for us it's a major problem, if it penetrates any of that water based it's going to attack the other solvent based paint, this is where the reaction can happen. OR if you've put it on even slightly too wet and too quick the solvent and the water based will react against each other casing the paint to "pickle".

Those are the only things I can think of. Without standing over you and watching you do every single step I can't say what has cased it, it could be any number of things, and as I started with drying times in wet or colder conditions vary hugely and will play a key part in all of this weather you are using solvent or waterbased paints.

I'd say give your wife her hair dryer back and go and invest in a decent heat gun. I've got a power devil 2000 and it gets bloody hot, so look for something similar to that, hair dryers don't quite do the same job.

My paintwork thread