View Single Post
Old 21-05-2012

Default Claying

Another + for claying from me. NEVER has the paint on my car felt so smooooooooth.

If you are interested in claying best to look on Youtube there are loads of clips but here's what I do to my car before claying and after. It is worth investing in some decent microfibre cloths, Solid WAX polish and natural sponge's.

Rule No 1 - It takes an hour to wash a car by yourself but a day to clean it so set aside a day to do this with no disturbance.

1. I wash the car using Zymol car shampoo and rinse. Leather off paintwork and leave to dry.

2. Find the worst affected areas ( normally horizontal like roof and bonnet ) by using a microfibre cloth gently on the paintwork and you will feel the cloth tugging and pulling on the paintwork if it's really bad. Do not use your hands to find affected areas, if you have rough hands this will scratch the laquer and push the muck you are trying to get out of the paint further in !

3. I use the Mer clay bar kit and it works really well, just follow the instructions in the kit for great results and do your roof and bonnet in 1/4's
4. After claying I will rinse and leather off the car again and allow to dry.

Once the paintwork is smooth does it have any scratches or swirling in the laquer ? If not you are a lucky soab and move on to the final stage.

5. I do not use any of the usual polishes available from the usual outlets, 90% of it is crap ( my opinion ). I use Harly Wax it is 100% No1 yellow carnuba wax ( the best ) and the results are outstanding. Application by a damp natural sponge and removal by a microfibre cloth. They quote that waxing your car should last 6 months but realistically more like 3 - 4 months if your car lives outside.

If you think all the above can be done in less than 4 hours you are a better man than me and deserve a medal.