Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Swindon RCMCC

Old 22-10-2018

Default Sad news for Swindon RCMCC

Quote from the club secretary:

Quote:
At the AGM today myself and Neil have stood down from the committee so we have vacant positions for Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer.

As explained today if these positions are not taken up the club will have to be dissolved, with this in mind it was agreed by those present that we would hold a EGM in one months’ time (18th Nov) at the track to allow people that were not at the meeting to come forward to fill the committee positions, we can still have practice sessions but no race meetings until this situation is resolved

Please contact me if you feel able to fill one of these roles
This, coupled with the fact the council have served the club with an eviction notice due to land redevelopment means an uncertain future for the club. They are meant to be finding an alternative venue for us but hey are moving very slowly, we have until march before the eviction is due to happen.

Without this club there is a massive hole in the area left behind - all other clubs are at least 1.5 hours drive in any direction.

Please - if anyone feels up to the challenge of filling any of the positions then please get in touch with either myself on here, or post in the Swindon RCMCC Facebook group.
Old 22-10-2018
Mad Member

Default venue

HI
I am currently looking for an indoor venue, preferably permenant but setup and strip down is an option. I'v secured EOS carpet and timing kit, I'm happy to look into anything along the M4 corridor.
Old 22-10-2018

Good to know, thanks Sam.
Old 23-10-2018
oOple Advertiser

Please take note for your consideration.

Early 2001 Hampshire Racing Centre was told that Offices were going to be built on the ground we raced at and we had to vacate a growing club that already held National events.

Till this day, nothing has been built there.

Just make sure and doubly sure that things are actually happening because a little club in the eyes of councils could just be forgotten in the paperwork.

Good luck for the future
Old 23-10-2018

Thanks Tony.

I'm not on the committee myself, so not privy to the exact official wording from the council, but here is what I know:

The land is in planning stages to be redeveloped into a sports facility, with an outdoor cycling track and cafe exactly where our track is.

We used to be on a yearly lease with the council, it has now dropped to a rolling monthly lease.

We have been served with an official notice of eviction to be completed by March.

The council have yet to gain additional outside funding for the new facility.

The council have yet to provide a suitable new venue, also stating that we have to be evicted first before they can find one for us... I guess we will just suspend all the track equipment and storage from giant invisible skyhooks during the transition!

A few of us have looked into private alternative sites to rent but not having much luck, with one farmer asking for £1000 a month rent for a bare field with no services!
Old 23-10-2018
Mad Member

This is a real bummer,
How many times have we heard this about clubs folding because the council pulled the land for redevelopment

Real shame for Swindon a, had a great meeting at the Short Course National and was looking forward to visiting more next year

On another note, this region could really do with an new venue or indoor club as there's a massive hole in the map, with Swindon now gone, for me the nearest club is now 90mins-2 hours away

And a £1000 a month is just ridiculous
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 23-10-2018

Thanks for the kind words, Derek. It seems to be a similar story from most non regular visitors to the track, that they all enjoy running there. It's a great facility and has come a long way.

On a personal note, I just want to add that I've only been back into the game for 18 months, but in that time the club has made me and my lad feel extremely welcome, we've both made some really good friends and it would be a shame to lose something like this. No-one is blaming the committee members for standing down at all, they have their personal reasons and it's not simply a case of deserting a sinking ship. I want to thank them all for what they have done over the years. Regarding myself - it's pure bad timing, as I'm between 2 ends of the country at the moment and have far too much on myself to devote any sort of time to a committee position at the moment.

I'm an eternal optimist so fingers crossed something good will come up.
Old 23-10-2018

You'd think that councils would encourage places where people can pursue their hobbies, so many people these days especially young men find themselves with nothing in their lives. There are a fair few skate parks and BMX tracks around, not enough, but much more than RC tracks. There should be an RC track in every town, get people young and old off their computer games. Maybe someone needs to talk to the council and tell them how great it is for the community, even just as a spectator sport, gotta try something.

That being said, RC enthusiasts need to realise we're on our own for now and sort our own land out. You can buy land all over the UK for as little as £1000 per acre. Of course, a lot of this is not for development, but a simple track, with a stand etc. This may be a choice? Anyway, Good luck.
Old 23-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy G View Post
HI
I am currently looking for an indoor venue, preferably permenant but setup and strip down is an option. I'v secured EOS carpet and timing kit, I'm happy to look into anything along the M4 corridor.
Interesting. How far down the M4 corridor is viable? Thinking one of the old hangers at Hullavington (J17, Chippenham) might be an option. Closer to Bristol the better for me as my nearest EOS venue is Midlands Raceway.

Massive shame about the Swindon track. I dread to think what the overall cost of building that 10th track was. It has a bit of everything and is a real test.

Sadly Swindon Borough Council have previous. Ask anybody who follows the football and speedway teams. I'd hold out little hope for a niche rc club.
Old 23-10-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Interesting.
Thinking one of the old hangers at Hullavington (J17, Chippenham) might be an option. On EOS carpet !
Now there’s an idea
There is a karting track in one already

Driver - 'Derek'
Old 23-10-2018
Mad Member

Surely the council can't just do that. If they are building a sports facility why can't part of that faculty be an rc track?

If suggest letting your local paper know what's happening and labour the fact young lads will no longer be able to race and will end up hanging round street corners

Good luck
Old 24-10-2018

if trowbridge is an option for the guy looking for an indoor facility, there is a hall in the trowbridge sports center next to clarendon academy which would be perfect, its a massive hall, has a balcony overlooking which is perfect to use as a rostrum and has stacks of parking too. Dont know what costs would be but i know that some martial arts clubs hire the venue on weekdays for around 20 people at a time so I imagine it would be reasonable.
Old 26-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
Surely the council can't just do that. If they are building a sports facility why can't part of that faculty be an rc track?

If suggest letting your local paper know what's happening and labour the fact young lads will no longer be able to race and will end up hanging round street corners

Good luck
Orignaly we were included with the plans but in the last revision the track was removed and no reasn given.

We have talked to the local paper, but they dont seam that intrested in our issues
Old 26-10-2018
Mad Member

Planning application HERE if you are interested, shame RC cannot be included, perhaps it's not a sport ?

Looks like the RC area is being replaced with the pavilion & bin storage, is there a little bit of space left in the corner ? Cricket looks like it's being squashed up to fit the all weather football pitch, existing RC pitting area becomes the car park.

Edit: attach snapshots, trees are handy reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swindon RC.jpg (79.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: png Swindon RC new.PNG (495.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by JCJC; 28-10-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: removed bad url
Old 26-10-2018
Mad Member

More football just what we need
Old 26-10-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
More football just what we need
Bloody crap
Sorry for language but this really has pee’d me off

Why does this so called sport ( sorry it’s not ) get more respect than any other

As for the papers, probably no money in it for them

Driver - 'Derek'
Old 28-10-2018
Mad Member

Looking over the Sport England list of recognized sports I cannot see any reference to RC or the BRCA mentioned as a National Governing Body. (as a btb, model aircraft flying is recognized as a sport).

Lists HERE and HERE

EDIT 19th November 2018 : (Application Granted 15th November.)
I asked (today) the BRCA if they were on the list 'Sporting Activities and Governing Bodies Recognised by the Sports Councils'
from Sport England web site.
The nice quick reply from the BRCA is, 'You'll find Motor Sport and the MSA (Motor Sport association now operating as 'Motorsport UK') on the Sport England list.'
A search on the motor sport association website will find the BRCA

Last edited by JCJC; 19-11-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 28-10-2018
Mad Member

What have the BRCA said about this situation?
Old 28-10-2018
Mad Member

Looking again at the proposal referenced above, Sport England have been asked to comment and the pdf reply is interesting (19th Sept 2018).
(I try to link but.........)

They have mentioned cricket, football and other sports but Swindon RC Car track/club is not included and governing body not consulted.

I would have thought it would be a good idea for the BRCA to be asked for an opinion, precedents for other clubs etc at the very least.

Last edited by JCJC; 28-10-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 28-10-2018
Mad Member

The irony is that most of the road cycling facilities built in the UK have large open areas inside the oval of the track. Mostly just grassed over. I suspect that with very little extra cost, a space big enough for the track/pits could be found tucked into a corner of the road circuit. Would require some work to reinstate/rebuild, but still. Just getting rid seems slightly heavy handed.

FWIW our club was closed 5 years ago due to "imminent road works". We cleared out, then it took them nearly four years to actually get to that bit.