Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Healthy Stuff

Old 05-12-2011

I joined Weight Watchers 5 weeks ago and have now lost 1 stone (14lb / 6.35Kg). It hasn't really felt like I'm on a "diet" - just making sure my portion sizes are realistic and logging everything I eat.

I've done "fad" diets in the past and have often lost 10lb the first WEEK of my diet, but that's just mainly carb/water loss which goes back on very quickly after eating carbs again.

This feels like a much more healthy way of eating - lots of fresh fruit and veg and lean meat. But if I fancy an ice cream or a beer, I can have one as long as I log it and I don't go over my daily points.

It sounds similar to the Norwegian website linked above.

I've got another 2 stone to lose before May next year (wedding!), but I want to carry on from there and get another 3 stone off if I can.

Good work to all of you that have lost weight

Josh
Old 02-01-2012

Interesting thread this folks.

I guess I would describe myself as 'Bond-lite' - I've taken a similar approach after deciding that I was at risk of becoming a heart attack waiting to happen by the time I hit 40. There's a history of heart disease, diabetes and other such ailments in my family and I figured it would be easier to take preventative measures while I'm still young.

I've never been skinny and never will be - I'm fairly short and reasonably broad (thanks dad, not!), so with that in mind I don't pay a huge amount of attention to BMI and other statistical data.

I'm in the convenient position whereby I have access to a gym at work for a small membership fee of £20 a month. The fee comes out of your paycheck and the staff are also qualified in giving advice on nutrition and diet, as well as there being a lovely young lady who does sports massages! So, in October 2010 I thought "sod it, I'll give it a go" and joined. One of the best things I've ever done if I'm honest!

Since then I've been going twice a week after work to do mostly cardio stuff - running, cycling and a occasionally rowing. Running, without any doubt, makes the biggest difference to weight loss. I was apprehensive at first, but once I'd started to lose some weight I got on a treadmill. After that the weight started to fall off more quickly and I quickly went from being ready to curl up and die after jogging for a couple of km, to being able to sustain a medium to fast paced jog for 8km or more, after which I could get on a bike and ride 20km without much hassle.

As well as the gym visits I made quite a big change to my eating habits. I don't really eat anything different, and I'm far from being someone who lives on salad, but I do eat much earlier in the day. I usually have an average breakfast, then eat a main meal at lunchtime and then something light in the evening. I cut down on carbohydrates, have brown bread whenever possible, and do things like have less sugar in cups of tea (tastes hideous to begin with, but you get used to it quickly and it's not bad at all then!). I also drink more water - keep a bottle of water next to my desk and have to refill it at least 3 times a day.

Last of all, after significant peer pressure from my work colleagues, I bought a mountain bike! I used to love my bike as a kid - went everywhere on it, but when I learnt to drive and then started uni it all fell by the wayside. I bought something decent - it wasn't cheap - but that means that I'm more keen to make use of it! A lot of bike shops do 0% finance, so I took that option and pay a bit off each month. I go out riding down some local-ish trails on a Friday with half a dozen guys from work, and also on my own at weekends. I've recently invested in some high power lighting so that I can go out in the dark too - great fun!

With the gym, and mountain biking if you're alone, the other essential bit of kit you'll need is an iPod - I have no idea where I'd be without mine! When you hit 'the wall' it's the only thing that keeps your legs moving sometimes!

So, after all that, what's my progress? Well, in October 2010 I was 105.3kg, which is quite a lot for someone who's only 5'9" tall. I'm now just under 90kg and look and feel a hell of a lot better for it. I went for an annual medical at work last month, and they said "your blood pressure is much lower than last year and is now more in line with where it should be for someone of your age..." - so I explained why. I'm aiming to shed another 10kg or so this year, and then the long term goal will be to keep it off.

As Steve has said - forget weights and building muscle, that will come later, and some of it naturally during the process of shedding weight through cadio exercise. My advice would also be to set yourself realistic short and long term targets that you know you can achieve. Start slowly and don't over-do it and burn yourself out - ramp up the work rate gradually. Once you get into it you'll find it strangeley rewarding and invigorating, and dare I say it, enjoyable!
Old 05-01-2012

Default 2 Years Down

Well 2 Years down and 12.5 stones.. Muscles are bulging under whats left and Im as strong and fit as I have ever been. Gym for 2 hrs a night every day and some MTB when we get the weather. Just another 2 stone ish to go but these are the toughest..

And yes thats the same lady... She has lost 5 stones... We keep pushing each other harder and harder... She can run better than me though.. Not ready for doing distance running yet.

Weight loss only requires one frame of mind
" DO OR DO NOT ! THERE IS NO TRY "
Old 06-01-2012
Mad Member

Great News Steve,

Keep going.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 17-01-2012
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Lost my first stone
Old 17-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

good work all
Old 05-09-2012

Default A Little Run

Well They say to push yourself you need to set a goal. Well I set a beuty The Bupa Sheffield 10 K run on September 2nd 2012.
Me and the girlfriend entered and had a few training runs. An unscheduled trip to sick dad in portugal buggered up the training but hey I new I was fit lol. The problem was I was still to big to run. The Knees were killing and the hips were swollen and sore. I was in so much pain it was unbearable at times on the run but I grit my teeth and thanks to my loverly lady we finnished in a time of 1 hour 11 mins 57 seconds

Now back to the cycling

Old 05-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well done steve
Old 31-10-2012

*2009LocationRenishaw, Sheffield , UKPosts245

Cheers guysI havent done much running after tge 10k . Been busy getting the legs and arse ready for the bhf ride this weekend.*But i have not stopped doing different stuff..*My lady teaches dancing street/comercial and last sunday they had a review where all the parents /friends/family come and watch what they have done over the year. There is a family dance where a family member is taught a few steps. I asked karen if she would teach me something and she said NO.Lol like i do as im told. So along with craig Husbabd of Niki "who owns the dance group with karen" we secretly learnt a dance. Then at the prime moment we surprised karen lol. Luckly she loved it as did everyone else. Judging by her screaming she loved it
So enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31K...e_gdata_player

Old 22-11-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Been riding the new MTB bike for 9 weeks now and doing 50 miles a week on it. Also been on a diet of 2000 calories a day. Total loss is 16lbs at present which I'm very pleased with.
Old 23-12-2012
Mad Member

joining the downsize me club

after 30 years of being stood on my feet working all day for the last 3 years i have been mainly chained to an office desk .while this certainly has some redeeming features its not good for waistline

I walked past the bathroom mirror the other day and was almost in denial that it was actually me the scales dont lie 15st 11lb

so last two weeks been watching what i eat a bit more and dragged out an old tracksuit (more like a skinsuit for bradley wiggins now) and went for a walk two weeks later i just banged in a 10 mile jog with the local running club (mainly ladies section) there still a lot quicker than me but much easier on the eye to follow

trip to the scales revealed 15 st dead so well pleased I'm never going to see the sub 3 hour marathons i used to run but its a good start and my goal is to get sub 12 stone for next years works xmas do

probably catch up with Bondy at the next worksop in jan

regards to all members of the downsize me club and keep going

fid
Old 23-12-2012
Mad Member

Default New Weight watcher

A certain RC racer told me today he is losing 7 stone next year!! I wont name him! but i Hope he can do it! Lets see if he has the stomach (sorry for that) to come and announce to the world!!
Good luck either way! being healthy is a big plus when you get to over 35!

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 23-12-2012
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Wow great stuff - 7 stone in a year sounds like a big challenge!

Is anyone else making any weight loss pledges in the new year? I would pledge to lose the two stone that I've gained since starting this thread but I like my food too much so instead I'll work on getting out cycling and improving my general fitness levels.

I saw a friend on facebook using www.myfitnesspal.com which seems like a great resource, and makes you realise how many calories are in day to day meals.

Good luck everyone, congratulations on the success so far

Old 24-12-2012

I'll be getting out and about.

I moved a couple of years ago to Cambridge for work and have put on over 2 stone (Ale, tasty tasty Ale)..

Need to loose it!! hehe. I'm using Myfitnesspal as a diary . I hope it helps.

J

ANVIL-GFX
Old 20-02-2013
Mad Member

up date

weight is stuck at 14st 12lb running about 25 mile a week watching what i eat a lot more getting fitter definitely but not losing weight gutted

any one give me sensible advice ?

fid
Old 20-02-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Maybe try a bike instead of running?

Also, I've been on 2000 calories a day

Lots a fair bit!
Old 20-02-2013
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Fid - myfitnesspal is worth checking out, if you are watching what you eat it's a good way of keeping track of calories, some healthy foods contain a lot of calories.

Old 20-02-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

I'm guessing you're just doing long steady runs Dave? You need to mix up a bit with some core strength and intervals with a bit more intensity. If you're just on long steady runs you'll only be burning calories when you're actually running and you'll plateau - which it sounds like you have, mix the training up with higher intensity and a bit of core work and maybe a few weights and you'll charge your muscles and metabolism up more so you'll burn more calories during rest, should bring you onto the next level. See you sunday
Old 20-02-2013

Anyone using the 6 pack abs app from the App Store? I got it the other week, I have done 1 weeks worth of training and already feeling the benefits, it's worth a shot
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 08-03-2013
Mad Member

thanks james

i try to mix it up with club twice a week with different routines have manged to clear another 7lb over last couple of weeks so its now 14st 5/6lb so thats about 1 and a half stone since november

did manage a 50 min 10k on monday solo run so im getting there i dont do much other type of excercise but i couldnt bear the thought of spending good minipin money on gym fees

im watching food intake more but still probably eating the wrong stuff
lckily have avoided crisps beer chocolate macccy d's etc i have been in mac's but managed to steel myself with a grilled chicken salad its probably not the best salad but its better than a burger

catch up sunday james

fid