Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > DMS Model Car Club - Watford

Old 05-09-2016

Default Looking at return to racing

Looking at a return to racing after a break whilst I've been relocating to Watford during this year.

Not run 2WD for a long, long time but have a B5M to get me up and running again and may opt for a B6 if I get properly back into the hobby.

Looking at popping in to the club but wanted to ask which B5M setup works best for the grip level at the club? I have the 4 and 3 gear transmission and planning on running a LRP X20 8.5t or a 9.5t with Flow Works ESC. Anyone recommend which transmission would work better on the club surface with the mini pin rears and cut stagger fronts.

Is 8.5t a sensible choice for the size of the track at the club?

Cheers.

Ian
Old 05-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasher View Post
Looking at a return to racing after a break whilst I've been relocating to Watford during this year.

Not run 2WD for a long, long time but have a B5M to get me up and running again and may opt for a B6 if I get properly back into the hobby.

Looking at popping in to the club but wanted to ask which B5M setup works best for the grip level at the club? I have the 4 and 3 gear transmission and planning on running a LRP X20 8.5t or a 9.5t with Flow Works ESC. Anyone recommend which transmission would work better on the club surface with the mini pin rears and cut stagger fronts.

Cheers.

Ian
Hi Ian welcome to Watford I will say best for our club would be 3 gear transmission and an 8.5t motor will be fine. as for tyres mini pin and cut stagger work best we are back racing this week so if your around come and have a look around
Old 05-09-2016

Welcome to DMS and to Watford Ian.

As Steve said, the B5M will work well on the DMS carpet. It is medium grip and we have seen most sorts of transmissions work. Currently, most new cars are lay-down like the B6 but the regular B5M works really well with one regularly in the A final.

It is quite a short track (around 12-15 second lap time) with no big straights and LRP motors are usually quite powerful so either the 9.5 or 8.5 will be fine to start with.

Hope to see you soon!
Old 05-09-2016

Hello Ian
With the B5M you issue will be getting enough front end grip so put your front shocks as vertical as possible and maybe a brass front bulkhead if you have one. Not driven the 3 gear on the B5M but think this will be better as it should free up the rear end of the car a bit more and help wit the steering.
See you soon
John
Old 05-09-2016

Hello Ian
If you are planning to race at our club its best to use our online booking in system. Goto to www.dmsresults.co.uk and click 'race entry' and enter your details. I think it works out cheaper if you pre-book online. This site also holds the race results and more info about the club.
Old 05-09-2016

Thanks for the welcome and for the information from everyone.

I doubt I'll be running this week as the car is in pieces in the box it was 'donated' in....I'll drop the 3 gear and 8.5T in after rebuilding the diff.

John, I do have a brass front bulkhead which I'll also fit, thanks for the advice.

I'll try and pop in to say hello on Thursday.

Cheers again.

Last edited by rasher; 05-09-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2016
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasher View Post

Cheers.

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBash View Post
Thanks for the welcome and for the information from everyone.

I doubt I'll be running this week as the car is in pieces in the box it was 'donated' in....I'll drop the 3 gear and 8.5T in after rebuilding the diff.

John, I do have a brass front bulkhead which I'll also fit, thanks for the advice.

I'll try and pop in to say hello on Thursday.

Cheers again.
Interesting. You want these accounts merging into one?