Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 11-01-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

When we had our extension done we needed an upgraded combi to run all the rads and stuff (there are 14 now...)
The only one that was upto the job at the time was an Alfa CB124X. I might have looked at it once in the 4 years it's been in the cupboard and that was probably cos I was looking for mugs.

p.s no outlet pipe so it can't freeze either
Old 11-01-2011

Thumbs down Ariston

We had an ARISTON combi fitted 4-5 years ago and have had it repaired twice - both times for the same thing (dodgy seals) , so i'd never have another one fitted.
Old 12-01-2011

" but have had the habit of freezing external pipes which stops the heating working....it is generally easily fixed though, as it is external plastic pipe that just fills with frozen condensed water."

Hate to correct you there matey but if your condense pipe freezes then your condense run has not been installed correctly. Upon reaching a run length of 3 metres or as I do as soon as the condense pipe runs to outside increase the pipework to 1 1/4". This significantly reduces frozen pipe risk.

The pipe freezing use to be more of a problem on older condensing boilers when the condensate point used to continually drip but not so much these days as the more modern boilers use syphonic traps to collect the condense in the boiler and then dump the whole traps worth in one go thus reducing freezing risk. Oh and btw there are many routes and ways for the condensate to be routed not just straight to outside. Oh and yes I also consider Worcester and valliant boilers to be one of the best but don't forget those nice little ideal combi logic + boilers. Very well made, easy to install competitively priced 5 years parts and labour guarantee and they are British ( please correct if wrong)
Old 12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
When we had our extension done we needed an upgraded combi to run all the rads and stuff (there are 14 now...)
The only one that was upto the job at the time was an Alfa CB124X. I might have looked at it once in the 4 years it's been in the cupboard and that was probably cos I was looking for mugs.

p.s no outlet pipe so it can't freeze either

Well no pipe outlet. It will as you require it for your pressure relief valve. Your condensate will probably be pumped or routed to the nearest internal waste point then or it's not condensing but that's very unlikely as it only 4 years old.

Last edited by jamiec; 12-01-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-01-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
Well no pipe outlet. It will as you require it for your pressure relief valve. Your condensate will probably be pumped or routed to the nearest internal waste point then or it's not condensing but that's very unlikely as it only 4 years old.
That's always a possibility. I should have said that there is no waste pipe sticking out of the wall.
Old 12-01-2011

Default Combi Boiler

We have a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837 with no concerns.
http://www.vaillant.co.uk/installers...2/combination/

We chose this one over the smaller models (which still had suitable central heating capability) because we wanted high hot water flow rate for decent shower.

If you call Vaillant they can assist in calculating the size boiler your property needs. Bosch also have a reputation of being reliable and helpful.
Old 17-01-2011
Super Moderator

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice so far, we're starting to get quotes from different plumbers for fitting a new boiler etc.

One only fits Worcester, another only Wiessman - they both think what they fit are the bollox obviously!

Obviously Worcesters have been covered, any comments on Wiessmans?

Cheers,

G
Old 19-01-2011

We had a Wiessman put into our last house and it wasn't cheap. Total and utter crap. I lost count of the number of times it broke, had to have a curcuit board replaced, then something else on the ignition went, then something else. All fixed under warrenty but thats not the point, you don't expect to spend £3-£4k on a new heating system and then have to wash in cold water while you wait for a new board to arrive.
Old 20-01-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

I must be getting old as this is the thread I have read the most over Christmas.

My Condensate pip froze twice over Christmas, it was -17 two nights. We just cut the pipe down so it drips out and cant freeze in the pipe. This is until we get a proper fix.

I will now be looking at a larger pipe as well as lagging it.

Ps Sorry no help to you Northy
Old 20-01-2011

The engineer who is currently fitting the system in our new house says its actually better to go for a smaller diameter pipe because these can be lagged very tightly. Suppose everyone will have their own ideas, but lagging would seem a sensible way top go.

Suffice to say we've not gone for a Vissesman this time!
Old 29-01-2011

We had a terrible time with our Ideal Isar boiler. It didn't work from the off, with the plumber stating we must've got a 'bad one'. So we had to wait for a new PCB to arrive before it would work.

It went again a year later - the Ideal engineer who came got it back up and running in no time. However, when it went out of warranty and broke down (roughly every 18 months) it was a case of arranging for a plumber to come and inspect the boiler and then another 4-5 days for the part (always the PCB) to arrive. We were without heating and hot water on each occasion.

It was a terrible boiler, and a quick google shows we weren't the only ones. It died for good last year (was repairable, but the insurance company had had enough of paying for repairs) so we now have a Worcester Bosch. The company who installed say they don't install any other make and have only been out to repair one once in 14 yrs. Could be bs but we're happy with it so far.

It also came with a remote control to control the thermostat and timer etc, so it also appeals to my inner geek!

Barry
Kyosho RB5
Tamiya M03
Schumacher Mi3.5
Schumacher Mi4LP

My feedback
Old 15-02-2011
Super Moderator

Hi boiler experts

We've been recommended (well plumber thinks its a little overkill, but i'd rather that than underkill!) the following:

Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 NG Cond Combi
Vaillant Eco std horiz flue duct 303933
Vaillant VRT360F wireless prog room stat

What do you think to that, and have you any ideas where I could get them for a good price?
Old 18-02-2011

baxi boilers are pretty good with good flow rates etc, may not be a option for but seem to being putting in a few heatrae sadia amptecs in :-)
Old 18-02-2011
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
any ideas where I could get them for a good price?
Might know a man who can if you have cash pound notes
Old 18-02-2011

Just to throw another boiler into the mix

http://www.idealheating.com/products...r.php#techspec

5 years guarantee

Don't take my word on it as i don't do domestic heating/plumbing. . .i'm more into the commercial and industrial side of things . But you can't go wrong with a Vaillant or the Worcester Borsch brands.
Old 19-02-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Dont get a Ferrioli boiler, mines been in 6 months and last night has packed in again. What boils my slash is the phone number on the info pack you get with the boiler for customer services, says its open 24hrs yet when you phone them its a monday to friday number. And the tw*t who fitted it will only answer his phone on weekdays.

Had a old glo-worm water tanked boiler before and that apparatly never broke down once and it was fitted in the seventys. Wish i kept it in now.
Old 19-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Hi boiler experts

We've been recommended (well plumber thinks its a little overkill, but i'd rather that than underkill!) the following:

Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 NG Cond Combi
Vaillant Eco std horiz flue duct 303933
Vaillant VRT360F wireless prog room stat

What do you think to that, and have you any ideas where I could get them for a good price?
Depending on what you,ve been quoted

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/i...ia=p&exactWord=
Old 19-02-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyG

I've got the Ideal Logic +.

It's the business, and plumbers drool over it.
Old 19-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

G - I know nothing about boilers, but when we did our house the plumber - a family friend - put us in a Vallient boiler, which he told us was the tits, and would run a much bigger house, it was a bit overkill - but he said it would outlast us, so we went for it.

It's still faultless after nearly 2 decades, and the only thing that went wrong was the timer (a separate box on the wall) died, cost £70 to get our plumber to fit a new one.

We have it serviced every year, without exception and it's never missed a beat.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 19-02-2011

christ get a Valliant man !