Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 24-11-2016

I'm a bit disappointed that there's going to be two cars. I don't mind two 2wd cars but two 4wd cars

If you mainly race 4wd then it's no big deal but my main class is 2wd and I don't think I'd get enough use from them to justify it. I think I'll wait to see which one is the best all rounder and go for that I'm guessing the carpet version.

Modelsport UK Race Team | Schumacher KC
Old 24-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by J77MYF View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that there's going to be two cars. I don't mind two 2wd cars but two 4wd cars

If you mainly race 4wd then it's no big deal but my main class is 2wd and I don't think I'd get enough use from them to justify it. I think I'll wait to see which one is the best all rounder and go for that I'm guessing the carpet version.
It'll all depends on the differences between the 2 models. I suspect (don't know, pure speculation ), slipper and hard plastics being the main differences.
And it entirely depends on what surface you run the most in which will be the better allrounder.
I'm also a bit disappointed that they are starting a trend for more than 1 4wd, but like my 2wd, I simply refuse to run 2 cars. Instead I have the parts that I want for different conditions. Maybe not the easiest way, but it's my choice...
Old 24-11-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
It'll all depends on the differences between the 2 models. I suspect (don't know, pure speculation ), slipper and hard plastics being the main differences...
I'd guess that will be the case too, not a whole lot else to change on a 4wd besides maybe a heavier chassis for the high grip car?

I reckon whatever the spec's of both cars people will end up with a mixture of parts that works for them, like the guys in the US that all seem to be settling on the B6D but with the laydown gearbox.
Old 24-11-2016
Mad Member

i'd imagine the biggest difference between the 2 versions will be the center geared diff.
I dont see that being a feature used by many in carpet/turf conditions
Old 24-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
I'd guess that will be the case too, not a whole lot else to change on a 4wd besides maybe a heavier chassis for the high grip car?

I reckon whatever the spec's of both cars people will end up with a mixture of parts that works for them, like the guys in the US that all seem to be settling on the B6D but with the laydown gearbox.
Possibly a fuller top deck for reduced flex but that's all I can really think of.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 24-11-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
I did say..... lol

It doesn't really matter either way though.
It's a given i'm clearly the expert in all knowledge on this matter :P so i'll make prediction now. Dirt version to debut at the Reedy race in Jan, and the carpet/astro version to debut at EOS Feb 2017 at Hudy arena. Will be fantastic to see the AE team take it to hudy and spank the xrays on home turf.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 24-11-2016

Cos the yokomo's keep trying but get no where.

Xray XB2 '18
Xray XB4 '18
Old 24-11-2016

YeA new car sick too!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-_sm.jpg (5.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 25-11-2016

Default High low hot cold wet sunny edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
It'll all depends on the differences between the 2 models. I suspect (don't know, pure speculation ), slipper and hard plastics being the main differences.
And it entirely depends on what surface you run the most in which will be the better allrounder.
I'm also a bit disappointed that they are starting a trend for more than 1 4wd, but like my 2wd, I simply refuse to run 2 cars. Instead I have the parts that I want for different conditions. Maybe not the easiest way, but it's my choice...
I agree with this trend of companies selling 2 cars for different conditions and now we are seeing it in 4wd ; it's just a way of milking money out of us. No doubt other companies are going to follow suit and we are going to see high and low grip versions of the 4wd platform.

Not everybody like myself can afford 2 buggies and of course all the electrics to go with it.

A 2wd kit alone costs on average £300 + £250 minimum for electrics so you are looking at £1000 + for 2 cars. Way out of my budget.
Old 25-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmatrix View Post
I agree with this trend of companies selling 2 cars for different conditions and now we are seeing it in 4wd ; it's just a way of milking money out of us. No doubt other companies are going to follow suit and we are going to see high and low grip versions of the 4wd platform.

Not everybody like myself can afford 2 buggies and of course all the electrics to go with it.

A 2wd kit alone costs on average £300 + £250 minimum for electrics so you are looking at £1000 + for 2 cars. Way out of my budget.
I agree. By the time you've got the car and kitted it out with decent stuff you can be approaching £1000.

Old 25-11-2016
Mad Member

I think in terms of 4wd its a bit silly and greedy to have 2 different cars.
I doubt that there could be much thats changed between dirt and carpet
Old 25-11-2016

Think the main difference between the two versions will be the diff's, Dirt version will be ball diff's and the Carpet/Astro version will be gear diff's....let's face it if the car came with Ball Diff's as standard we would all be complaining that we had to buy the Gear Diff's and the guys in the states would be complaining if the car came with Gear Diff's as standard.

Having had the expense of purchasing Gear Diff's in my Kyosho ZX6 then I for one am happy that we have a specific version for 90% of current UK tracks....
Old 25-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP9685 View Post
Think the main difference between the two versions will be the diff's, Dirt version will be ball diff's and the Carpet/Astro version will be gear diff's....let's face it if the car came with Ball Diff's as standard we would all be complaining that we had to buy the Gear Diff's and the guys in the states would be complaining if the car came with Gear Diff's as standard.

Having had the expense of purchasing Gear Diff's in my Kyosho ZX6 then I for one am happy that we have a specific version for 90% of current UK tracks....
Ball diffs? I find that unlikely.

If you go on the associated website and look at the picture it shows the gear diffs:

https://www.teamassociated.com/pictu...nR_Diff_sm.jpg
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 25-11-2016

I dont race 2 wd and if i do its 1 maybe 2 races in a year so i have the same problem need 2 cars .
That most brands bring out 2 cars in 4wd aswell i find that a good thing . Use the dirt for dirt or on wet astro and the carpet one for good conditions .
Saves u a lot of hussel when during a race day when it starts 2 rain .
And indeed it costs a lot .
So mostlyfirst year i have one car and the next i bye a new one and the old car becomes the wet and dirt car .
Eder way i find that the car looks damm good and think it will have lots of potential .
Rude-Bits
Serpent
Fba section offroad chairman.
Old 25-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniks View Post
I dont race 2 wd and if i do its 1 maybe 2 races in a year so i have the same problem need 2 cars .
That most brands bring out 2 cars in 4wd aswell i find that a good thing . Use the dirt for dirt or on wet astro and the carpet one for good conditions .
Saves u a lot of hussel when during a race day when it starts 2 rain .
And indeed it costs a lot .
So mostlyfirst year i have one car and the next i bye a new one and the old car becomes the wet and dirt car .
Eder way i find that the car looks damm good and think it will have lots of potential .
But that's my point, I don't want to spend £700 on 2 different 4wd kits alone.
There should be one car that can perform in wet and dry conditions with minor changes to setup. It's a marketing ploy IMO.
Old 25-11-2016

Quote:
There should be one car that can perform in wet and dry conditions with minor changes to setup. It's a marketing ploy IMO.
My apologies for going off topic.
Old 25-11-2016

Surely any 'dirt' car is designed for the usa and not applicable here, so seems good you won't have to buy parts to run on our surfaces.
Old 25-11-2016

Quote:
Quote:
I completely agree with you , but its us who are being sucked in to buying 2 cars the manufacturers have to develop 2 cars to compete with each other at the top end with top drivers . Remember we as club racers don't have to buy both as 99% of us are not capable of driving the car to the limit no matter what spec it is . Even if I had a carpet car on a carpet track and the other more experienced and talented drivers from my club had dirt cars on the same track they would still be lapping me . At the end of the day most of us will just adjust one car for any conditions and there is really no need for 2 but I am like everyone else who would love to have the latest version of the latest car , Is this one of the reasons why vintage is gaining in popularity ? Remember when we used to race for the fun of it.
Old 25-11-2016

I like the way kyosho have included everything in their new 2wd kit. It's a bit more money but you've got everything you'll ever need and more in one box.

Old 25-11-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Don't buy it then