Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 02-05-2007
Mad Member

Default "Spec" classes in buggy racing

Anyone have any thoughts on what "works" as a spec class in off-road, with the aim of cutting costs for the low budget racer, and/or encouraging newcomers into the sport.

Motors - how restricted can you go and what works? Tamiya 540? 19T?

Cars - any type with and modification? 2wd only? One car with restricted mods or box stock (e.g, Tamiya DF-03 Dark Impact, DT-02 Desert Gator, AE B4 RS)

Electrics - restrictions on packs (eg sticks below 2000mAh)? Restrictions on speed controllers?

Tyres - control the rear? all four wheels? or leave it open?

Dave
Old 02-05-2007
Lee-Mag

I think the spec classes is what has killed on road, when it was all modified it was fantastic but you start to ditute the talent and some people want to be a big fish in a small pond etc and go trophy hunting, off road in on the increase again and personally i think its fantastic, you dont need the best motors or cells to compete, i really wouldnt change it right now.
Old 02-05-2007
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

SRCC dirt spec series,

19 turn motor, blue schumacher rear mini spikes, open front tyre choice.

It works well.. but the fast boys are still the fastest, its only in the lower levels where it is evened out which is always good to see as it gives most people the chance to compete fairly.
Old 02-05-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

We have a spec class at oswestry and at BCL events. What we do is the only rule is that we have to run a 19t motor. Same everything else just a 19t motor. Its good because it gives the begginers a chance to be competative and be fighting for a tittle because against the likes of F1's andf2's f3's f4 esc they dont stand a chance. Then i just enter this class at club just to win the championship. And i suit 19t i jusy like the way it drives.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 05-05-2007

i would only bring in 19turn as a spec class,and maybe limit it to f5 drivers only leave every thing else as is
Old 05-05-2007
Mad Member

if it aint broke...
Old 05-05-2007
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

York runs a very sucsessfull "spec" class. Basically, anything 2WD goes with any electrics as long as you run a sealled can 540 motor.
Old 05-05-2007
Mad Member

spec classes are open to abuse take on road news cells every two months or so so called spec motors its a joke club racers dont stand a chance stick with current format it works well run wot u want thers only so much power u can handle usually less is better
Old 05-05-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

You could run a 19t spec class. don't run seperate heats for them but let them run with the other cars. so that you still feel part of the day. just have a different points board for them. leave everything else the same, that way they can use the same gear if they want to change class, just change motor.

and like dave said, limit it to f5-f4 drivers, and if they finish in the top 5 in the f5/f4 championship, they move up to the next grade, if they want.
Old 07-05-2007

In the states they race 27 stock buggy and even run stocks in the heavier trucks and 4wd. To be honest I love 'spec' racing especially how it would ease me in slower to this off road lark. Ive raced Stock and 19 turn TC at national level and loved it. Granted seperate classes does dilute the quality of the A-Finals but it does allow you to race good up and coming drivers. I remember when I used to qualify in the same heat as Olly Jefferies only four years ago now he narrowly missed out on the mod title.

Due however to the arrival of brushless power running a stock or Spec class competitively is probably more expensive to run.
Old 07-05-2007

Send a message via MSN to _JP_ Send a message via Skype™ to _JP_

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert digler View Post
spec classes are open to abuse take on road news cells every two months or so so called spec motors its a joke club racers dont stand a chance stick with current format it works well run wot u want thers only so much power u can handle usually less is better
its not really a spec class when you get people doing what ever it takes to gain advantage with motors, brush cutting and zapping cans, high voltage cells make a difference which we know!

I remember a TC meeting Butch and I made the A in "stock" class and they made our cars look like snails, yea we drove well to make the A but we could not compete lol!