Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 25-01-2014

Default Heat

Hi all

Looking for some advice...my motor and speedo is so hot after a race and also not smelling great. I have run the same motor/spur/pinion for some time. Only thing I have changed is speedo. Currently running below:

- durango dex/210
- speed passion 7.5 motor
- speed passion gt pro speedo
- 87 spur
- 23 pinion

I have nothing special on speedo, no timing, no drag brake, fan is on speedo.

Any ideas on the above setup which could be causing excessive heat. Car doesn't cut out. What are people's recommendations on spur/pinion setup
Old 25-01-2014

What's the track like? Is it a tight track or fast track? What surface? It could be its a little over geared for the track. Personally if its a tight track on carpet/wood I would try 20t pinion 87t spur.
Old 25-01-2014

Tried it on astro track...quite big and quick and also last night on small tight mainly carpet. Both were heating up significantly but really noticed it last night. Any further thoughts very welcomed :-)
Old 25-01-2014
Mad Member

How hot?
Old 25-01-2014

Had a similar thing on my lads car the other week. Thought it was something running tight,(which it could be). Turned out that 1 of the motor wire solder joints had come loose. It was getting red hot. Worth checking them.
Old 26-01-2014

I think you will find its your speedo that is running hot.
I have seen this before with other speed passion causing the complete setup to become hot.
I was running my 7.5t motor on 25/87 so your gearing isn't to far off.

A friend swapped his speed passion speedo to another brand and has never had heat issues again leaving everything the same.

You have mentioned that the speedo is what you have changed recently.

Old 26-01-2014

If your running a speed passion gt check its on modified software with a LCD setting box. If stock spec has been installed it will run hot even if timing,boost etc are turned down. Gearing is spot on check for usual such as car binding and poor solder joints.
Old 29-01-2014

did you find the issue?
Old 30-01-2014

Thanks for all your responses. Motor is also speed passion with the bullet connector but checked all these over. Checked how tight spur/pinion was. Not bad but have loosened a little more. Only other thing I have changed recently if diff oil, could this cause anything.

Wes, you mentioned the below- I bought esc second hand and had some additional software on as the car was originally running twice as quick. I had a programme box which was just coming up with dashes. I took it schumacher and they loaded original software on so I could see values on the lcd box I had.

Interested what you mean that it will run hot with stock spec

If stock spec has been installed it will run hot even if timing,boost etc are turned down. Gearing is spot on check for usual such as car binding and poor solder
Old 30-01-2014

Am I correct in thinking you have the basic 2 digit programmer that came with the speedo? If so try and find someone at your local club with a advanced LCD box, ask them nicely to plug it into your speedo, when connected it will display some numbers followed by 'mod' or 'stock'. Ideally for offroad your looking for 119mod. If it is loaded with a stock software it will get hot running modified motors even with boost/turbo etc turned down (had same issue myself). To change the software you need to connect the speedo to a pc through the setting box and download off speed passion website.
Old 10-02-2014

Thanks Wes, really useful.

Would make sense as it was on modified software before I believe. Yes, I have the standard lcd box that comes with it....
Old 10-02-2014
Mad Member

And we even suggested you get an upgraded program box to fix your last issue.