Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > North West

Old 22-04-2013
Mad Member

I agree totally on tyres, the few people who had full spikes had a HUGE advantage. The nationals have a controlled selection of tyres, so should regionals
G Paint
Answer RC
Old 22-04-2013

Have to say it was a shame about the weather although living in Bury we are used to it down here, on the subject of controlled tyres don't think anybody gained an advantage did they?!?!? Everybody should have a trusty set of 10 year old full spikes just in case!
Old 22-04-2013

Many thanks to the organisers at Barrow for the meeting, a real shame it had to be cut short.
I also found the public vote a waste of time as the decision can only be made by the official BRCA regional committee so in some ways it made it more frustrating for the masses who wanted to continue.
I do feel that results based on two rounds if qualifying does not really give a true reflection of the day but having checked the BRCA regional rules it is in fact the correct procedure so we cannot really complain too much.

Heats for round 2 are generally based on round 1 results but due to the indifferent weather this may not be the best way to structure them in my opinion. Personally it makes no difference, i had a very poor two rounds but as I've recently returned I am an F5 so will be in the lower heats regardless but it could cause heats to be massively varied in ability for others if heats are based on two rounds of qualifying from round 1.

Just a thought....

Chris
Old 22-04-2013

Definitely agree on adopting control tyres for next season, even for the remainder of this season if possible

We don't want racing regionals becoming a tyre war and getting towards the cost of running nationals.

Chris
Old 22-04-2013

Control tyres at regionals jus sounds silly ,ive jus had a look and you can get schumacher full spikes off jemodels which is wat alot of people ended up running , im sure theres a rule about tyres as long as they are comercially available too all they are allowed ? Woody will know more about this . Tyre choice is part of racing in my eyes but thats just my opinion
Old 22-04-2013

Its not about making sure the tyre is available, its to try and limit the amount of tyres people have to buy/carry around. If you limit the spike and brand then it means you don't have to have a box full of different types of tyres. You just need the different compounds in mini spike form.
Old 22-04-2013

Most regonals run control tyres.

This was just a suggestion.
Old 22-04-2013

It's not about adopting a sole control tyre it's just a limit for financial reasons. For example at the nationals you are allowed to use any Compound on Schumacher or Ballistic Buggy minispikes on the rear axle of your car. These are the most commonly used off road tyres in the UK so almost everybody running the regionals will have some of these in their pit box.

I'm all for a bit of home advantage but if there is such a clear advantage with another tyre, as there was with full spikes yesterday many will simply not be able to compete without them too shelling out £20 quid or so for new tyres that will probably be useless anywhere else.

Chris
Old 22-04-2013

Arrow

It's not about adopting a sole control tyre it's just a limit for financial reasons. For example at the nationals you are allowed to use any Compound of Schumacher or Ballistic Buggy minispikes on the rear axle of your car. These are the most commonly used off road tyres in the UK so almost everybody running the regionals will have some of these in their pit box.

I'm all for a bit of home advantage but if there is such a clear advantage with another tyre, as there was with full spikes yesterday many will simply not be able to compete without them too shelling out £20 quid or so for new tyres that will probably be useless anywhere else.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bitter towards anybody using them yesterday, I admire your foresight it's just an idea to make an expensive day for many due to the distance of travel a little bit more inviting and guaranteeing closer racing.

Chris
Old 22-04-2013

With 40% of our regional tracks being on grass it's just common sense for any driver to have a set of full spikes. Why degrade racing enjoyment for the sake of a few quid, or those who don’t wish to plan for the obvious. Let’s face it, most none locals would spend more than that on petrol just getting to the track.

Also, they don’t wear anything like mini-spikes. I've had mine for three years and the spikes are still very good.
Old 22-04-2013
Mad Member

My personal opinion (and this is MY OPINION) I don't think there is a place for grass tracks in this day and age with the state of the British weather. When I started racing (thirty years ago now) there was only grass tracks but the weather was or seemed a lot better (we actually had a summer). Now with the invention of AstroTurf and the technology within which enables very hard wearing AstroTurf has made us have truly all weather racing, just two sets of tyres needed for wet or dry. Not many cancelled meetings due to rain safer for marshals. Maybe grass for club meetings but regionals and nationals where people travel a distance astro only. As I say this is my opinion only and not a slur to the fantastic organisation of the barrow club but the weather won again.
Old 22-04-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

the other side of that coin is we don't use them at nationals,so wont base a setup for them ether and as most tracks are astro now why would we need to.tire rule gets my vote run and base it on a tire we all have all use keep it simple,
PS the really fast people had tr32's on and they are not only not made any more but haven't been for a long long while
and spencers post is better than mine well said spencer MULcahey
Old 22-04-2013
Gypsy Member

In regards to tyres i think it's awful to have a controll tyre
If the Brca let ya run em then So should the event
And also grass track racing is great fun for a lot of people and suits some people's syle of driving better
Off road racing is good because of the variety of surfaces to race on keep grass tracks in and spikey tyres to
Old 22-04-2013

I thought tr32's were not allowed, which is why mine stayed in the box. The other option open to everyone is come to a club meeting or two on grass to figure out a basic setup and tire choice, and wear some decent shoes rather than flat trainers!
Old 22-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The thing about a control tyre is that in cases where a full spike would suit best if restricted to minispikes that basically means a brand new fresh set, or rather several sets over the course of the day.
Which is hardly cheaper than having a set of full spikes in your pit box.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 22-04-2013

This not not true buddy....

Only one set needed because its wet they don't ware, as would have been the case yesterday and was at kiddy also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
The thing about a control tyre is that in cases where a full spike would suit best if restricted to minispikes that basically means a brand new fresh set, or rather several sets over the course of the day.
Which is hardly cheaper than having a set of full spikes in your pit box.
Old 22-04-2013

Strangely Carl I agree with this completely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
the other side of that coin is we don't use them at nationals,so wont base a setup for them ether and as most tracks are astro now why would we need to.tire rule gets my vote run and base it on a tire we all have all use keep it simple,
PS the really fast people had tr32's on and they are not only not made any more but haven't been for a long long while
and spencers post is better than mine well said spencer MULcahey
Old 22-04-2013

Maybe we should vote or discuss at the end of the year with the Wood master
Old 22-04-2013

Grass tracks sort the men from the boys . I would bet most people have stuff in there pit bags that cost more than a set of full spikes that doesnt see the light of day from one meeting to the next .
Old 22-04-2013
Stu-Perstar

Maybe if people would of decided to come to the meeting and not suggested just the clubs come to the meeting then things might of been different.

All these things can be talked about if and when people come to a meeting.

Anyway, I thought it was a good venue and everybody would of loved it if it was dry!

I have to think about the safety of all drivers and marshals and there was alot of people slipping and if a car hit them in the head while on the floor, then what would you all say?

Sorry safety first.
I know we all should ware the correct shoes but we all dont have walking boots.