Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 07-02-2015

Default Yokomo YZ-2 steering issues

hi folks. Recently assembled roller and put all electornics in . Have problem with centering servo. Servo horn mounted at 90degree on servo. Gap between steering link ballcups is 0 as per manual. Wheels isnt in center whilst servo in neutral position. Then i moved servo horn about 60degrees to left side, however steering throw isn't equal. Then i made gap between ballcups and moved servo horn at 75 degrees. Bit better. Then altered radio subtrims 92% to left side. Seems ok now. Anyway looks dodgy considering yokomos roller cost. how do you guys sorted this problem? No shims on servo arms. I though moving servo wont sort the problem. By the way servo is savox 1257tg. cheers
Sanwa M12
Old 07-02-2015

Mine was the same mate. Just made the link longer and has been fine like that
Old 07-02-2015

Loads of people company about this but 2 notches to the left is correct with zero mm gap between the ball cups. As long as the throw (EPA) between left and right is more or less equal, mine stands at 80%. If you adjusted it so the servo horn was vertical then the throw would be stupidly out and you'd probably struggle to get full lock depending on what servo you use.

I think Yokomo know what they're doing when they designed the car and why the servo horn has to sit the way it does. Because it doesn't sit vertical isn't exactly a justifiable criticism as it's not asthetically pleasing to people's eye.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 08-02-2015
Mad Member

Quite a few cars have the servo horn offset, its not unusual or a problem..
Old 08-02-2015
Mad Member

I have set mine up with a Savox 1252, two spacers, two notches left, and a 2.5mm gap on the link, i get spot on throw left and right, perfect in fact.
I only put the 2.5mm gap in as i found the steering would lock if it was manually pushed full left, didn't notice it till i was working on the car and the steering cranked over while on the bench, tried to centre it and it had locked as the horn had too much throw, the gap helped, so, it all works perfectly for me.
An amazing bit of engineering, can't fault it.

One thing i did want to ask though, seeing as i drive like a loon, i did strip a spline friday night, was wondering if a servo saver could be used, not sure if it would though as it'll take out that wonderful steering feel, car really does turn in well, only thing i do wish id done, is put a ball diff in from the get go, had some snaky moments with the geared.

lee
Old 08-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
I have set mine up with a Savox 1252, two spacers, two notches left, and a 2.5mm gap on the link, i get spot on throw left and right, perfect in fact.
I only put the 2.5mm gap in as i found the steering would lock if it was manually pushed full left, didn't notice it till i was working on the car and the steering cranked over while on the bench, tried to centre it and it had locked as the horn had too much throw, the gap helped, so, it all works perfectly for me.
An amazing bit of engineering, can't fault it.

One thing i did want to ask though, seeing as i drive like a loon, i did strip a spline friday night, was wondering if a servo saver could be used, not sure if it would though as it'll take out that wonderful steering feel, car really does turn in well, only thing i do wish id done, is put a ball diff in from the get go, had some snaky moments with the geared.

lee
I don't know if the servo saver from the Bmax2 will fit. It's worth a look.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 08-02-2015

The bmax2 servo saver fits. But only just. You might want to trim off a bit of material of the front of the horn.
Because the horn will move forward when "saving" your servo.

Also keep in mind that the bmax horn is shorter. So check the steering throw.
Old 08-02-2015

Thanks lads. Seems i got it sorted almost. Made 3mm gap in the link. Put servo horn at 90degrees because i coudnt get right epa's. Then altered subtrims on radio. Seems ok, however i think epa's bit funny. Dont have full lock at the right. But i think thats servo issue or subrim works as trim on my radio. I can set epa more for right side to get it sorted, just wondering can that damage servo? Epa's is 100% now on the radio. And can get more steering throw due lot of clearance between steering block and hub carrier. Actual servo used in 1/8 buggy with 0 issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg servo1.jpg (241.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg servo2.jpg (243.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg servo3.jpg (229.0 KB, 28 views)
Sanwa M12
Old 08-02-2015
Mad Member

Put that horn on two clicks left, should sort your problem right away!

lee
Old 08-02-2015

That's how you need mate as ralphee said couple of notches from centre and you will have it perfect
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (293.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 08-02-2015

Thanks lads. will do. much appreciated.
Sanwa M12
Old 08-02-2015

Its a common misunderstanding in thinking that the horn needs to be vertical to get equal throw left to right. The actual requirement is for the horn to be at 90 degrees to the arm that connects to it.
Therefore if the arm is sloping down when connected to the steering 'rack' (like in the YZ) rather than horizontal then the horn needs to be angled to achieve the required alignment.
It does look odd tilted to the left but from an engineering perspective its 100% correct.
Old 08-02-2015

Yeh, 2 notches out of centre is how i did it, and works just fine... This car is by far the best i ve ever driven.
Old 15-02-2015

Are you using the 17mm or the 20mm servo horn?
Thanks