Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 05-06-2015
Mad Member

So why don't we all come back to Oople and do something ourselves to remember Jimmy. Giving to charity or going to a race is not something that puts us out. A few keystrokes and that's done.

It seemed to me that Jimmy put himself out to provide the Oople forums and he did that maybe at the expense of other things he wanted to do - he did it because it was hard and involved some sacrifice, not because it was easy.

Shouldn't we honour his memory by doing the same? By taking ourselves away from the groups and the other 'easy' things that have diminished the participation here and doing the hard thing - coming back to Oople in our droves?

Just my thoughts...
Old 05-06-2015
Awesome Admin

I think the decal idea is a very good one as that what was funding the place wasn't it?

So like SlowOne said do it for us if I've read that right.
Why not if we can have the decals made and if it's ok with whoever makes them, the profits got to the development of oOPle 2 which Jimmy was working on and wanted for us all?

I for one would proudly put his name on any of my cars and even on my 1:1 car and truck. So I can show everyone that I am part of this great place that Jimmy dedicated a massive part of his life to just because he wanted to.
Old 06-06-2015
Mad Member

Fair point Peaky, well made. I didn't really make my thoughts clear.

The sticker idea is a good one. I still use stickers we had made for Mike Reedy and Dez Chand. It's something where I can remember the person every time I put one on the car and I would buy some to remember Jimmy.

I was thinking that the charity thing is a once only - a few key strokes, a bit of money and its all over. Stickers - and coming back to Oople from the other groups is like the stickers - we do something to remember Jimmy and we keep doing something that reflects the effort Jimmy put in for us to make our RC world different or better.

My view was that doing something that has a future is a better way of remembering people than a one-off that is done and forgotten.

I'm still not sure I have put my thoughts down that well which, when you consider the way Jimmy was able to do that in his race reports and articles just reminds me how much better he was at that than I am. I don't want to make a deal out of it, and everyone should do what they think best. As one thing had been suggested (charity donation) I was just suggesting another.

Thinking of Vicky and Jimmy's family...
Old 06-06-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Jimmys love was oOple donations can be made by clicking the PayPal on the top of the page,
No matter what group, what page, what race meeting, Jimmy will all ways be in my mind, and what's more he will all ways be with us.

Before we all jump the gun, can I suggest we give his familly and the oOple crew time....

Last edited by mark christopher; 06-06-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2015
Mad Member

Default JIMMY OOPLE.

What ever we all do. Its with Jimmy in our thoughts.

I for one would LOVE to have a memorial Jimmy/oople sticker made up. maybe a sheet of them, various styles etc all with the oople and memory of Jimmy on them. One on there being 1/1 size.
say a fiver a sheet(just an idea), should cover the cost of printing and post with some left over for a donation to a suitable charity.
But we ALL will have a permanent memory of Jimmy.

Personally, even thou I have only known the man himself for a few years and met a handful of times, I have spoken on the cyber world often, Have had some great chats and drinks at oople Invernational. His passing has effected me much more than I realised it could.
I would be more than happy to be part of a Jimmy drive for his memory.
I have plenty of Propel prizes I can add(RC helis/cars/drones) and make it something special if that's any help for anything anyone has planned other than the invernational of course.

If Vicky and Co need anything, just ask. I am here if needed.

Mr Oople is a true legend, will always be.

Darren....................................
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 11-06-2015
Mad Member

Is there a consensus yet?
Is there going to be a special Jimmy oOple decal created?
I am not a graphic designer so haven't immediately leapt in to design one, but is anyone?
How about folks try and put a basic "rough" idea together and we then put it to a vote and get the winning design tidied up a bit?

Obviously a donation can be included in the sale price, but the impression I see is that many folks (me included) would like some sort of reminder on their shells - I wouldn't be back in RC if it weren't for Jimmy so it seems fitting to me.
If this isn't the route that is decided on then so be it - I will simply make my own and paint it on as I can make vinyl masks, but not stickers!

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 11-06-2015
Mad Member

I haven't commented on any of this. I heard the news a little while ago now, and didn't know what to do, I never met Jimmy but I spoke to him via email a fair bit, strangely never about RC, we used to chat about Photography and Illustration. So with that in mind I've started to make a design but it will be too complicated for small decal, I was thinking about it as more of a T shirt for the oOple event later this year. I'm about 20 hours into this design at the moment but not in any way finished or wanting to show anyone yet.

I'm still lost for words on this and wish Vicky and Jimmy's family the best for tomorrow, my thoughts are with you.

As for designing a sticker, probably best to get the person who's printing them to do it, I know Jon from RCS has been mentioned and he was the first person I thought of.

My paintwork thread
Old 12-06-2015

I've printed jimmys stickers for as long as i can remember and would really like to be a part of this.
Old 12-06-2015

i am not gunna lie the thought of having to do a design for the guy who was nothing but design scares the bollocks off me, but i like the challenge and think with everyones input and seeing his designs over the years i should be able to get it right
Old 13-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneegrow View Post
I've printed jimmys stickers for as long as i can remember and would really like to be a part of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneegrow View Post
i am not gunna lie the thought of having to do a design for the guy who was nothing but design scares the bollocks off me, but i like the challenge and think with everyones input and seeing his designs over the years i should be able to get it right
after seeing your poster and knowing the connection, you HAVE to be the man for the job!!
Old 13-06-2015

^^^ agree with Mark 100%

The poster was brilliant, if you run some copies, I'd have one.

Chris
Old 13-06-2015
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
after seeing your poster and knowing the connection, you HAVE to be the man for the job!!

1. what poster?

2. I'm 100% behind that idea I can think of no one better to do them
Old 13-06-2015

Old 13-06-2015

Default poster

that would be cool as a parts box sticker or if someone could make a pit board out of one
Old 13-06-2015
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post

I wondered who did that I started to well up a bit when I saw it great work buddy. I can't think of a better person than you to do Jimmy proud
Old 13-06-2015

Lovely picture - very poignant.
Old 14-06-2015
BANNED

Jimmy was not someone who enjoyed being fussed over, a simple sticker sheet memorial would be appropriate.

In 2010 he was blown away by the response to the original running of 'his' meeting, the Invernational.

We are doing it all again for the sixth time in August - Invernational 2015.

All abilities welcome, heat 1 will resemble something from the Muppet Show, heat 18 will be full of International standard drivers.

He would have loved you all to be there.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 14-06-2015
Mad Member

Thats kinda what i was leaning to Stu, a Oople based, "Jimmy" sheet we can all show, and maybe fund something be each sale to a good cause, be it the site he loved, or a charity?

Lee
Old 14-06-2015
Super Moderator

Well said Stu.

G
Old 14-06-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
Thats kinda what i was leaning to Stu, a Oople based, "Jimmy" sheet we can all show, and maybe fund something be each sale to a good cause, be it the site he loved, or a charity?

Lee
I Think the above with the proceeds going to the the forum.