Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 15-01-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by micholix View Post
Do you think, that this can have any positiv effect for Team Durango, or even worser?

http://www.redrc.net/2018/01/hobbico...or-bankruptcy/
It'll be the final nail in the coffin...
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 15-01-2018

So sad, realy hoped, they will benefit from this...

Does anyone have any contact with the guys at TD, like Adam Skelding, Chris Doughty, or any other guy?
How are they?

I wish them all the best!

My cars:
CatK2/CougarSVR/BossCat/Dex410v3/Dex410v5/Dex210/Dex210F/Yokomo yz-10‘94/Yokomo yz-10‘95/
Old 16-01-2018
Mad Member

Might mean that the IP for the TD cars comes up for sale at a "much reduced" rate. Rather than at market rate.
Old 16-01-2018
Mad Member

Personally I'm a fan; the cars are lovely to build and look at. That said, for any potential investors it won't be as easy as picking up where the old Durango left off.

First off, their patents (such as the DEX210 hybrid gearbox) are already lapsed since 2014 or 2015, which puts a huge dent in the value of Durango's IP. Next, Product quality and availability was 'on-and-off', which I think was the demise of the reputation and market share to start with. The brand won't relive unless that is tackled first, and that is easier said than done.

If this wasn't enough, then there's the fierce competition for market share in 1/10 buggy the last few years. The current market is oversaturated with brands and that situation cannot sustain. Support and availability aside, Durango's offering doesn't reflect what customers currently think they need. That puts Durango in a difficult position to maintain market share no matter how good their products are otherwise.

I guess in the end the most valuable thing Durango has is their brand name. After all they have a short but beautiful heritage with a World Championship and influential car designs. I just hope that if someone tries to revive Durango, they do justice to how the brand started

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 16-01-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 28-01-2018

aren't patents good for like 20 or 25 years? Has it been that long since it was dreamt up?
Old 28-01-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky View Post
aren't patents good for like 20 or 25 years? Has it been that long since it was dreamt up?
After approval and filing of a patent, fees have to be paid each year to extend its validity. I think management of Durango opted not to extend it in light of the developments in the market and the cost to keep it up.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy