Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 19-02-2014

Default Yokomo B-Max III or Losi 22-4

Hi,

I am think about getting a 4WD buggy, which should only be used as "second" car. I do not want to put lots of effort in maintenance

Currently I am not sure if the Yokomo B-Max III or the Losi 22-4 is the better choice.
Which car requires less maintenance?
Which diffs are easier to access?

For which car do I find more "beginner" setups?

Thanks!
Old 19-02-2014

Hi. Interesting topic this, as I am too currently looking at both these buggies as an alternative to my current Durango 410 v3.

I do believe that neither of these buggies, including the Durango, are for 'beginners' though, as they seem to have multiple tuning options, which are only good if you know what you are doing!

However out of the 2 you mentioned, I would say the Yokomo would be the better entry level car, and an easier one to work on too....
Old 19-02-2014
Mad Member

based entirely on the fact that the bmax 4 III is geared diff and shaft drive i'd say its easier to maintain.
but as with everything else i'd say check what others at your local track are running no point in getting an easy to maintain car if nobody else has one and can advise on setups etc
Old 20-02-2014

Already considered the sworkz? Cheaper, easy to build and to drive, stronger, unique in it's design...
Old 20-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpower View Post
Already considered the sworkz? Cheaper, easy to build and to drive, stronger, unique in it's design...
"unique in its design" is a polite way of saying its uglier than a pitbull chewing on a wasp ;-)
Old 20-02-2014
Mad Member

"unique in its design" is a polite way of saying its uglier than a pitbull chewing on a wasp ;-)

You really are not wrong!
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 20-02-2014
Mad Member

We had 3x of the 22-4's at Mendip Raceway last Sunday. Even though the drivers were not our usual top lot they're cars looked amazing, this was on bumpy astroturf. One of the best 4WD's I've seen go round our place for sure.

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 20-02-2014

It's not the nicest shell, okay you got me there!, BUT
that's a personal matter of fact guys.

It's not a grey mouse(if we are gonna make comparisons with animals) like all the rest out there.

What do you say about the arguments "stronger" and "cheaper"? ... nothing I guess From the very first batch it was good. It could be raced without having fear to brake hingepins, towers, diffgears and other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post

You really are not wrong!
Old 20-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpower View Post
It's not the nicest shell, okay you got me there!, BUT
that's a personal matter of fact guys.
Can I borrow your rose tinted glasses, as I am really struggling to see how anyone would consider the shell to be moderately pleasing to the eye. Its horrendous, end of.

Quote:
It's not a grey mouse(if we are gonna make comparisons with animals) like the Xray, Team C, Yokomo or all other copies out there. You cannot go round the fact that it's more an original concept than the rest.
Being different is not always the best. If you look at the cars in detail, they are all different.

Quote:
What do you say about the arguments "stronger" and "cheaper"? ... nothing I guess From the very first batch it could be build from the box and races without having fear to brake hingepins, towers, gears and other stuff.
Not broken or had any issues with my XB4, set the slipper correctly (those that have issues generally have the slipper way too tight and are landing on full power) and dont forget, 4wd tends to need a bit more care with maintenance than 2wd in my experience.

Does the sworkz come with upgraded shock o-rings, as the one I was asked to work on (it looked terrible going round the track) felt like the o-rings were contributing to a considerable amount of damping.
Old 20-02-2014

If you build the shocks with one o-ring in stead of two (and just use an additional spacer)the problem is solved, and still leak free.

I agree on you though that a 4WD needs a bit more maintenance and the setup of the slipper plays a key role in the driveline longevity.

That said, for the money the Sworkz ain't a bad car IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-S View Post
Does the sworkz come with upgraded shock o-rings, as the one I was asked to work on (it looked terrible going round the track) felt like the o-rings were contributing to a considerable amount of damping.
Old 20-02-2014

I like the look of the Losi, I had a XX4 when they but first came out and loved it so much I bought a re release worlds kit when they were out.

I run the Yokomo 2wd so I went for the B-Max4. So easy to maintain and so easy to drive fast. The drivetrain is bomb proof too and getting diff access is only 4 screws. It's these little things that make it a pleasure to work on. Also with UK top drivers running them setups aren't in short supply unlike when they were first releases.

Despite the Losi's bigger pitched belts only time will tell if they solved one of the major issues of the old car. It doesn't look the easiest car to work on though. I keep having flashbacks every time I see one of trying change a belt. If it handles like the old car you won't care.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 20-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackster1980 View Post
I like the look of the Losi, I had a XX4 when they but first came out and loved it so much I bought a re release worlds kit when they were out.

I run the Yokomo 2wd so I went for the B-Max4. So easy to maintain and so easy to drive fast. The drivetrain is bomb proof too and getting diff access is only 4 screws. It's these little things that make it a pleasure to work on. Also with UK top drivers running them setups aren't in short supply unlike when they were first releases.

Despite the Losi's bigger pitched belts only time will tell if they solved one of the major issues of the old car. It doesn't look the easiest car to work on though. I keep having flashbacks every time I see one of trying change a belt. If it handles like the old car you won't care.
The pitch of the belts in the losi hasn't changed, what has changed is the material, they are bando belts which is the same brand the Schumacher range of cars use.

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 21-02-2014
Mad Member

The Losi is ace. I've been very pleasantly surprised by how well it goes. I confess that I have broken a front tower but it was a proper crash and would've broken any car.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO