Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 07-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow.2 View Post
You can bend them back within reason but they will be more likely to break eventually.
Thanks again, sparrow.2
Old 19-10-2009

Well, I like what I've heard here about this kit, So mine is on order now. I also picked up the UJ driveshafts, and a slipper clutch for it. I've got 3 BL motor combos laying around a castle creations 5700, 7700, and a TRX VXL. Which would be ideal for this little monster. For batteries, I've got a few 6cell nimh sticks, and a few 2 cell lipo's
Old 23-10-2009

To be honest it really depends on the track size and how technical or straight it is, if it's a smaller or a more technical track I would go for the 5700 kv which is approximatley a 6.5 turn. If you are on a larger track with long straights then the 7700kv which is about a 5.5 turn...

Hope that helps
Old 23-10-2009

Cool, that actually does help. What gearing would you reccomend to start with on the 7700? I know the VXL one is a 3500 so the gearing choices are pretty wide open.
Old 24-10-2009

Again this does depend on how big and open the track is as the lower the overall ratio the faster the top end and more heat will be generated... I would probably start with the stock spur and around a 21 pinion and gauge it from there..
Old 26-10-2009

Well, I've given in, it's here, and I put the little guy together(sort of). Here's a peek so far. I did it strictly according to the manual, but, I don't like the toe on it. The tires are proline dirthawgs. They probally suck in the dirt, But they were cheap and i think it looks pretty cool. I tried really hard to hide the wires on it for a clean install. And i decided to go with the 5700kv on a 18t pinion, I'll have to let you know how it goes.

Old 28-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by widnerkj View Post
I don't like the toe on it.
Yeah, this is far too much toe in at the front.

I would adjust the steering turnbuckles so that the front wheels run parallel. Make sure the left and right steering turnbuckles are equal lenghts.
Old 29-10-2009

Yup fixed the toe, have it sitting pretty nice now. But I'm kind of dissapointed with the cc 5700. It was pretty good with a 20t pinion and the stock spur, but the motor would get really hot with 2-3 min of puttering around. So I opted for surgery. There will be pictures to come soon. But I swapped out the cc for a Trx VXL, and a 31t pinion. And now this thing is a bullet. I'm really impressed with this TRAX brushless combo. But the ESC is Friggin HUGE!! and it's running 12g wire to the motor.
Old 30-10-2009
Mad Member

Don't ever(!) braid your wires. It will do strange things with your car, worsen your reception and heat your wires.
Old 30-10-2009

Ahh. That explaines the weird reception issue it was having. I did it because I'd seen it a bunch on some other forum. Thanks for the tip
Old 30-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by widnerkj View Post
Yup fixed the toe, have it sitting pretty nice now. But I'm kind of dissapointed with the cc 5700. It was pretty good with a 20t pinion and the stock spur, but the motor would get really hot with 2-3 min of puttering around. So I opted for surgery. There will be pictures to come soon. But I swapped out the cc for a Trx VXL, and a 31t pinion. And now this thing is a bullet. I'm really impressed with this TRAX brushless combo. But the ESC is Friggin HUGE!! and it's running 12g wire to the motor.

Do you have the castle PC link up lead??? might be worth downloading the latest firmware onto the speedo and checking the timing settings..

I have been running the HPI version of this (exactly the same but rebadged)...Ran last time out with stock spur and a 24 pinion...temps well in the safe zone...approx 130F after about 7 mins ( 2mins warm up and 5 mins race)..(Castle recomend 200F Max but I wouldnt go higher than 180F to preserve the motor a little)

If you have got the lead download the latest firmware make sure the timing is either at default for the gearing I mention above or turn it down to lowest this will take about 30degs off the running temp, It will also give you alot more torque/punch and will then allow you to go up a couple of teeth on the pinion..

I have just done this and am running this sunday and starting with a 26 tooth pinion and stock spur and will temp check from there..
Old 30-10-2009

I do have the castle link goodies, I had turned the timing down all the way and reduced the punch to about 40% But it was still far to hot to touch. I may try the castle again later on, but for now the VXL is pretty good for my uses. I still can't believe how well this car handles! My only issue right now is using a Turnigy 5000mAh 2S Hardcase, all the weight seems to be foreward, so if it gets ariborne, the nose drops really fast. Even with the throttle pegged.
Old 30-10-2009

And here are the pictures I promised. The speed control was sort of a pain to get in there. Had to do some trimming on the esc itself. (if I was home and had my dremel it'd would have been too easy.)

Old 30-10-2009

B.T.W. .... the black on the wheel is what happens if you leave your buggy unattended in a tent that 16 other guys live in. And the dust is the famous Afganistan "moon dust" it's finer than talcum powder, and will stop any R/C car you drive into the deep stuff. It's rather confusing for dirt on account of how it flows like water. weird.

Old 01-11-2009

Well, now that I've bashed a little bit with this rocket. I have to admit, I've never driven a car that handles like this. And though the tires look as though they are only for the asphalt, in the hard packed dirt the car didn't slide very much at all. Has anyone else tried them?
Old 01-11-2009
Banned

thanks mate

Last edited by stampede vxlboy; 01-11-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2009

The Proline Dirt Hawgs that are on the buggy in the picture, the buggy was $199.99 from omnihobbies on ebay. And a fan for the vxl is comming in the mail.
Old 01-11-2009
Banned

how many diffs have you worn out ???

Last edited by stampede vxlboy; 01-11-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2009

Havn't cooked a diff yet, but I rebuild them every 2-4 days, and use tamiya ceramic grease. I figure it's better to err on the side of caution.
Old 01-11-2009
Banned

they sound like a good car

Last edited by stampede vxlboy; 01-11-2009 at 10:51 PM.