Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 10-01-2012

Default Looking to get started...

Hi,

I'm looking to get a car and hopefully join a club in the near future. Currently browsing the huge amount of cars to choose from and finding it hard to narrow down what to get as I'm not sure exactly what I need!Ideally I want to do off-road, messing around on grass but also just on the street outside too so presuming it shouldn't make a huge difference if 2WD or 4WD? Definitely after an electric, so I presume brushless is the way to go for beginners and also 1/10th scale? Have been told the Losi Mini 8ight Brushless Buggy is spot on, though what would be the benefits of one scale over the other?

My budget is £200 all in, and from watching loads of youtube videos I'm liking the below ones so far:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vant...products/40388

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/losi-min...roducts/366368

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick...products/39569

Any advice/guidance gratefully received!

Cheers
Old 10-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

for that budget an ansmann mad monkey rtr would be great. cheap spares for bashing, but also upgradable and very competive at club/regional level.
the brushless 2.4gz version would be ideal if you can stretch to it

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 11-01-2012
Mad Member

You haven't listed a location ???

Find clubs in your area ? Go along, see what it's like, speak to people and find out what is raced there both class and vehicles.

As has already been said though, the Ansmann is your best bet if you can't get any more money towards your new hobby. The Losi Mini 8 is about £240 I think, you need to check it's raced near you though.

If you just want to bash and aren't fussed about racing at all you just need to go with which car appeals to you the most. Thing is though, if you're just running it on your own and you get bored of that, if you've got something that is raced at local clubs you can go along. If you've got something that was cool to bash with but isn't raced you've got to start all over again.

My paintwork thread
Old 11-01-2012

Good point! I live and work in Birmingham, hopefully heading up to Fast Trax in Telford tonight to check that out, it's a bit of a trek if I was to do it weekly, hence looking at the 1/10th as they seem more standard at club level.
Old 11-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

1/10th is definitely the way to go. Micros are fun but are more of a winter thing and the novelty wears off a bit quick compared to 10th

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
1/10th is definitely the way to go. Micros are fun but are more of a winter thing and the novelty wears off a bit quick compared to 10th
Thanks Jim. I've been up at Hot Trax in Telford tonight, very friendly bunch and a friend had a few races there with his old 1/10th. I think the Losi mini 8ight wouldn't hold my interest, neither would just racing indoors. Is outdoors normally from spring to autumn? I can't seem to find any other clubs in Birmingham that would suit what i'm after, but this is just from Google searches and a few forums!
Old 11-01-2012
Mad Member

Coventry to far, http://www.cmcc-online.co.uk/home/

a club list: http://www.centralbooking.org/cbs/in...2clubs&s_ord=C

hope this helps, Coventry is a mix, but with electric 10th on astroturf outside, near the airport
big weekend meeting on 21st and 22nd, (10th on Saturday the 21st).
Old 11-01-2012
Mad Member

For 1:10 off road., you fall slap bang in the middle of the BRCA Mid-West region. So have a look on their website (www.brca-midwest.co.uk) for details of the participating clubs and their locations. The Regional series normally runs April - Aug/Sept and everyone's welcome to race no matter on the ability. The only stipulation is you're a member of the BRCA for insurance purposes.

Any questions, just ask here or in the mid-west section.

Cheers
Phil
Old 11-01-2012

Ah brilliant, thanks guys Just checking out the one in Frankley and found one close to me called NRC Raceway.

With off-road tracks, is it a mix of nitro and electric these days or will it be down to the event/track as to what they allow to run on it?
Old 12-01-2012

Best to check with your club as different clubs have different rules but the generaly it will be nitros and electric separate (BRCA rules)
Old 12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
for that budget an ansmann mad monkey rtr would be great. cheap spares for bashing, but also upgradable and very competive at club/regional level.
the brushless 2.4gz version would be ideal if you can stretch to it

+1 I run a mad rat and got everything for it for £200 with charger lipos and recharge bats for receiver.

Parts are cheap and I hear some of the pro guys change the x2c base plate to run monkey base in some events, as the width of it is better for grip.

Vince
Old 12-01-2012

+1 - go to your club. Watch a couple of races. Have a chat. Go for 1/10 2wd as it is probably the most popular class.
Take your time with considering your purchase. Ansmann is a good choice and very upgradable.
One of the most important things when starting up is your local club. I recently got back into the RC world with a purchase of a touring car. Only to realise that there is not a club near me. So get to your local track and start being social!

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 13-01-2012

Thanks again for the advice! Been down to the Dudley club tonight with a couple of mates, great club, really friendly and got loads of advice. Thinking of starting with a Mad Rat or Monkey and doing indoor and going from there.

Looking at chargers, is it worth ignoring the modelsport combo deals and buying separate?
Old 17-01-2012

Got it down to 2 choices:

Mad Monkey
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-...&ChassisID=823

or..

FTX Vantage
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vant...products/40388

prefer the look of the FTX and its' 4wd, but not sure about other pro's/cons like spares etc for that one?
Old 17-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

go with the monkey. 2wd is easier to maintain and cheaper to run initially. It is also generally more popular.
Ansmann is also a much bette supported brand than FTX.

The monkey is the low budget car of choice at present, mainly because it is capable of high budget performance and results!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 17-01-2012

I'd be inclined to go for the mad monkey, it shares parts with other Ansmann 2wd (mad rat, X, X2C) cars which are fairly widely used so you are much more likely to be able to buy or borrow spares of others if you need to. I've never seen the FTX but that doesn't mean it's no good.

Are you dead set on getting a RTR? If you get a kit and 2nd hand electrics you might spend a bit more, but you shouldn't need to upgrade stuff so soon in the future (plus if you need to sell, you won't loose as much). I got all the stuff for my son (new mad monkey kit and used electrics) for just over £200 (excluding charger and lipos which I already had). You just might have to wait for the right item at the right price to come along.

Don't forget to budget around a tenner for a set of ball races, the RTR (and cheaper Ansmann kits) only come with bronze bushes which I would advise replacing immediately.
Old 17-01-2012
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRacer View Post
Are you dead set on getting a RTR? If you get a kit and 2nd hand electrics you might spend a bit more, but you shouldn't need to upgrade stuff so soon in the future (plus if you need to sell, you won't loose as much). I got all the stuff for my son (new mad monkey kit and used electrics) for just over £200 (excluding charger and lipos which I already had). You just might have to wait for the right item at the right price to come along.
+1 with this
Great deals come up all the time in the for sale section on here, watch out for the cougar sv pro i am putting up at the weekend, it will come with spares, wheels/tyres, i will be looking for around £120 for the lot
If that's not for you then there were a couple of x2c's for sale the other day, i think they were new & going for around the £100 mark each

Last edited by gainsy; 21-01-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 17-01-2012

Hi,
I have both the FTX vantage and the mad monkey...and are both great cars....if i had to choose i would go for the ftx vantage...very solid with metal diffs,bearings,turnbuckles etc as standard....
Old 17-01-2012

Hi Tim,like you im just starting out,im looking at a hpi firestorm 10t flux,been quoted about £240 including lipo pack,should go like a scolded cat lol.apparently modelsport uk are very good on price,best of luck mate.
Old 17-01-2012

You would be much better off going for a second hand kit, nearly all rc racer if not all have kits not rtr.

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...hlight=matthew