Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > International fOrums > Aussie

Old 28-04-2008
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben
Default New section

Ill be the first to post on this section then.
What sort of tracks do people race on in australia? Are they dirt, grass, astro?

ben
Old 28-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

Whats the tyre choices? and which cars are common and which are rarely seen?
Old 28-04-2008
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

I've got an ancient VHS video of the 1989 worlds in Oz at St. Ives Showground Sydney, anyone remember this?

I've been to Oz (east coast anyway) didnt really come accross much racing though, do you guys have any clubs with website links?

Also we're having an indoor international grandprix later in the year Oct/Nov time at the Worksop venue sponsored by schumacher - you'll find plenty of pics on oOple of previous tracks, Its a heck of a long way to come but if any of you guys fancy coming to England for a hol and maybe a bit of racing we'll show you some top hospitality!
Old 28-04-2008
Administrator

Heres the only track I saw, and I think it's gone now. but of course they do have tracks and racing over in Aus!

And heres a pic (not mine) from the st Ives website of ben panics car - with nift oople name decals naturally!

Old 28-04-2008
Mad Member

Oooohhhh, I'd be interested in details of racing in OZ (east coast mainly)

I'm off there at the end of the year. I'm sure the other half wouldn't mind taking in a little racing

Don't think she'll let me use the baggage allowance for my racing gear though
Old 28-04-2008
Administrator

St Ives is near sydney - might join you there
Old 29-04-2008

Hi Fellas,
There is a bit of racing over here in Oz. 8th offroad would be the biggest, like most of the world on the moment. Most if not all the cars commonly seen in this class can be seen on the tracks. Mugen Ninja sponsored driver just one the Nationals last weekend (Wayne Walker). Tracks tend to be dry and dusty, as expected.

Electric offroad is on the rise, 10th tourers both gas and electric are still popular. 8th onroad and 5th onroad are run also. Some 18th going on both indoors and outdoors around the country. Probably a lot more that i dont see or hear of as Im in a pretty isolated part of the country.

There are about 100 clubs listed in Racing Lines, which is a popular Oz mag. A quick google search will bring up quite a few Oz sites.

Im looking forward to doing some racing in the UK in 2010. Im having a year off to adventure.
Cheers
Old 29-04-2008
Administrator

Where are you from Julius? We've been from around arilie beach in queensland all the way down to the great ocean road - but not as far as adelaide. And we've been from Perth to Albany in the south west. There seemed to be some decent racing going on in the West but I didn't actually see any - but the Australian guys in Japan (Worlds) all seemed to be from the east coast.

I think we're hoping to go over for a couple of weeks toward the back end of this year, maybe september / october time, and if I can fit a car in the luggage I'll bring one for a bit of a race
Old 29-04-2008

Hey Jimmy,
Im in Port Augusta, small town 300km north of Adelaide. I race at a nearby town about 50mins drive. Race 8th scale buggies and 10th electric truck over there. Have my own 18th scale offroad indoor track and 10th tourer outdoor track.

Yes, most action is on the East coast and over in Perth. Adelaide has a very good onroad facility in Littlehampton. Caters for 5th, 8th and 10th. Hobby Habit run an indoor offroad carpet track and asphalt onroad track. Morphetvale runs 8th and 10th offroad.

BTW love your reviews. Bought the Lazer ZX5, Tamiya Durga, Tamiya 16th and XRay M18T Pro after reading them. Admittedly I was always going to get the M18T Pro after running the M18T.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YG4O_EPKW6U
Early version of indoor track.

http://www.aarcmcc.org/
Oz governing body website

Cheers
Old 29-04-2008
Administrator

That indoor track looks fun!

We've not been down that way yet but I'm sure we'll make it along
Old 29-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Good day down under!!!!

Where is all the Aussies we met in Japan last year??????

Come on you lot, get in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-04-2008
Administrator

those guys were bonkers!
Old 01-05-2008

Greetings lads. Good to see an Aussie thread happening.

Some good stories came back from the Worlds That sort of behaviour tends to be pretty standard.

Off road is definitely on the rise here, both 1/8th gas and 1/10th electric. All our tracks tend to be outdoor dirt. Our climate usually dictates that tracks are dry and hence usually quite slippery. This can lead track crews to get creative with dirt additives.

At our Nationals at Easter an additive called 'dustex' was used, which turned section of the track virtually into concrete! This resulted in the tyres (controlled - Proline Holeshots) being destroyed in about 7 or 8 laps. In addition, the tyres were overheating, not to mention foams bunching due to the bulk traction.

The main racing action tends to be East Coast, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Some very fast racers coming out of Aus too now as more guys travel OS and get big race experience. Josh Pain's three-wheel Cactus B-main finish last year was a highlight

Cheers,
Scotty P.
Old 01-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Church View Post
Good day down under!!!!

Where is all the Aussies we met in Japan last year??????

Come on you lot, get in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we're here....

yeah good shot of my car with your decals Jimmy. Its heading in to turn one at St Ives, about to lean over hard and load up the BJ read end!

We will have a new track at St Ives in the next two months. Its undergoing a huge change and should see it come out the other side with new dirt, technical turns and plenty of jumps.

Take a look at the design.

Ben
Attached Files
File Type: pdf St Ives Final.pdf (19.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-05-2008
Administrator

Hey Ben, yeah I read something about the place getting a lot of new investment - wasn't sure if you guys would be getting kicked off or not though so good to hear you're staying
Old 01-05-2008

Talking about the 89 Worlds at St Ives makes me feel old - I remember watching it there.

Racing up here in Brisbane is a little slow at the moment - we only have two tracks and one (my local track) is being relocated.

The Qld titles are at the Pine Hills club on the Northside of Brisbane - they have a new track which looks pretty awesome:

Old 01-05-2008
Administrator

wow that does look very cool - is it electric also?
Old 01-05-2008

Yes, electric also. As you can see it's a fairly large track with lap times for electric cars being just under a minute depending on the class. From what I've seen you guys in the UK race on some interesting track surfaces, with some including astro turf, cobblestones etc all within the one track. How do you find it? Be great to see some pics if you have any..
Old 01-05-2008
Administrator

Hey, welcome.
1 min! that's a long long track! looks good tho & should keep the marshalls fit haha.

There's a few photos on here of the UK tracks - but heres one of my favorite multi surface tracks: http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/bury190507/

I like the multi surface tracks to be honest - going from high grip to low (or none!) makes it pretty interesting. Still, I'd love a big dirt track like you have there - I think most people would, but we don't have the weather or space for it

Last edited by jimmy; 01-05-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2008

That's a nice looking track. Never raced in astro turf but am quite keen to try.

The grass always looks greener on the other side.. True, when the track is well watered and in good nick (i.e. ideally race day after a good dose of rain) it's a great surface. Track is for both nitro and electric cars though and with significantly more nitros out there it can become very rough with marbles on top. Pretty tricky for 2wd mod esp. From my perspective the beauty of an astroturf track would seem to be lack of maintenance required to maintain a consistently good surface.