Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 05-03-2012

Question "Blinky" ESC advice

Hi. Can anyone out there help me with my speedo choice?. I am planning to run my TC in this years Clubman Championship, with a "blinky" ESC, and my 17.5. I already have a Nosram Power Reverse 90150, but i have the chance to buy a Losi 9500 at the right price. has anyone had experience with both these ESCs in a TC, and can advise whether i would be better having the Losi's programmable curves, or to carry on using my Nosram, with it's marginal constant current advantage?, Thanks,
Wozza.
Old 06-03-2012

Stick with the Nosram, they are a popular ESC in blinky (not sure about your specific model, but in general Nosram/LRP ESCs work well).

Any of the features on the Losi that might make it faster will be disabled in Blinky mode.
Old 06-03-2012
Mad Member

One thing to bear in mind is that the Clubmans will only allow ESCs from a certain list. The BRCA site is unavailable for me right now which isn't helping, but its worth checking that your ESC (and certainly the one you are thinking of buying) is actually on the list.

The BRCA list has until now been mostly based on the ROAR list from America - http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=737 - and the LRP version of your current speedo is approved, as well as the Losi 9500. That doesn't guarantee BRCA approval though so you should check with the organisers.

As far as the ESC goes, if it has been working well for you until now, I don't think there will be any advantage from going to a different ESC - that is the brilliance of blinky, the ESC (assuming it can cope with the motor) doesn't come into it. If you find that the ESC doesn't have a good throttle feel or good braking (for example) you might like to try something else, but it won't make your car any faster.

I'll be doing some 17.5 blinky racing this season with a Hobbywing/Much-More speedo.
Old 06-03-2012

Thanks for the help guys. My Nosram was on the BRCA 1/12th list the last time i looked, i'm still waiting for the Clubmans one though. I probably should have realised that the power curve on the Losi would use some sort of Dynamic timing!! .The worst thing is, with the start of the new season so close, by the time we get the list, i bet most places will have sold out of the best ESCs on it when i need to buy one!!.
At least i can switch back to my speed passion 2.1 and 13.5 from last year, if i need to...

Last edited by wozza; 06-03-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: lists confused.
Old 06-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

BRCA Blinky list

http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...9;s%202011.pdf
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 06-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozza View Post
Thanks for the help guys. My Nosram was on the BRCA 1/12th list the last time i looked, i'm still waiting for the Clubmans one though. I probably should have realised that the power curve on the Losi would use some sort of Dynamic timing!! .The worst thing is, with the start of the new season so close, by the time we get the list, i bet most places will have sold out of the best ESCs on it when i need to buy one!!.
At least i can switch back to my speed passion 2.1 and 13.5 from last year, if i need to...
You do realise that your SP has a blinky mode as well and is probably a far better speedo than either the Nosram or Losi you mention?
Old 07-03-2012

Hi. I realise that my SP has a blinky mode, but i don't think that it would be "Far Better" than the other two escs, as zero timing takes away it's "Supercharger" feature, and makes all ESCs of comparable performance!, surely that is the aim of running a zero timing class?.
I do intend to do some drag race style comparisons between the two escs, when i can get my mate to gear his car to match mine, and we have some better weather!!. But for me to use my SP, i would then need another decent esc for my 10.5 Short Course to compete in the Regionals, so i might as well buy the Losi anyway. Thanks, Wozza.
Old 18-03-2012

Personally the just stock speedo from hobbywing seems the cheapest option dose it not? And as you said speedo going to play very small part :-)