Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 16-05-2012

Default *NEWBIE* Cougar SV gearing and Motor/ESC recommendations

Hi guys,

Excuse the ignorance and bear with me as I'm new to electrics after a 15 year break with nitro only. I've picked up a 2nd hand Schumacher Cougar SV roller and am in need of some recommendations as things seemed to have moved on a lot from the old brushed days.

What I'm after is a 'robust' budget brushless set up that isn't going to melt down within 5 minutes and may be race worthy for a beginner if I feel that way inclined. I'd rather spend less than £120 for a motor/esc combo at this point and then upgrade further down the line if I dig 2wd electric and race with it.

Will probably be running 4000mah 25c 2s lipo and options seem to be the Speed Passion Cirtix, Orion Neon or Castle SV2 combos, I've heard good things about Hobbywing 120a esc's but they seem to not be stocked in the European warehouse of Hobbyking.

So my question is what kv or wind would you recommend for the motor and what combo floats your boat or are any of you running in that price bracket? My understanding is that gearing is far more critical with brushless so as to not put too much drain on the system and cook it, if anyone is running a cougar with standard gearing would a 25t pinion be a 'safe' place to start?

Cheers

Adam