Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 19-09-2018

Default 22 3.0 Spec Racer Diff and Drivetrain

Hi All,

I registered here a couple of weeks ago as I'm thinking about doing some buggy racing. It looks like a great forum with lots of good people sharing information.

I'm afraid I'm going to do the typical newbie thing and start with a post containing a question! Apologies in advance for that.

I have picked up a used 22 3.0 chassis to build a buggy for possibly racing on dirt/grass next year. It came with a couple of gear diffs but I am thinking a ball diff would be more suitable on lower traction surfaces. I've just got hold of a 22 3.0 SR Ball diff and SR driveshafts. I know that these items have primarily been designed to be as light as poss to work with a direct drive system and a 17.5T motor for stock class racing.

My question is should I consider using these with the standard slipper and say a 10.5T or 13.5T motor or would this be too much for the lightened parts and composite outdrives?

I'm planning to build it as a relatively soft 'training' car, set up to ease me in gently so thought I may be able to get away with it. To start with I want to concentrate on getting my driving consistent. I'm happy to be circulating at the back of the field to begin with!!

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

McT.
Old 24-09-2018

Hey we're on the same path, I also did the same thing recently, 3.0s are a great platform to start with and if you shop around a few good deals on a roller.

I would not worry too much about the drive system for now and hop ups etc, just get going, with the old gear / what you have.

What size of track are you planning to run? This will help decide if a 13.5t or lower is really needed. I think in general you want top speed at the end of the longest straight for example I run / gear slower for more control and I have to be patient, the first few meets the you'll notice a step improvement and then the gain gets less, here you can start to fettle with set up and start looking at what the top guys in your final are doing in the attempt to get into the next final up etc. Everyone is generous with their time and knowledge. Just go out there and enjoy.

Re Sr drives I have run both one in a 6.5t motor and they are still going. I now have a 17.5t set up as well so you've given my the nudge to sort out which drive is in which car now 😎.

Keep asking / posting the tlr are out of favour at the moment so there are few of us around
Old 03-10-2018

Hi Bertros,

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I think I'll build up the chassis with the stand up gearbox I got with the car and install the SR ball diff and drives and see what happens. I'm picking up bits here and there used if they're affordable so I have a 6.5T and 10.5T motor at the moment to choose from but my collection of bits will probably expand a little along the way.

As for the track I'll run, I'm weighing up my options. I have clubs within a sensible drive that have dirt, grass and astro tracks. Eventually I will start making some contacts and start thinking about where I might start going but with a newborn in the house now I think that might have to wait for Spring. Stealing a few mins here and there to tinker on the workbench with what I've got will probably be the best I can achieve for a while.

Thanks again

McT
Old 03-10-2018
oOple Advertiser

My son runs my old 22 3.0 on carpet with a 10.5 motor and he uses the SR alloy driveshafts which so far have been fine, no bends or breakages. The plastic diff outdrives i would be more wary of since they are far more likely to break on impact, my lad is using the geared diff so not a concern for him since they are fitted with steel outdrives.

If you do end up running the ball diff with plastic outdrives then Exotek have just released same diff savers made of alloy to go over the plastic outdrives to strengthen them, much like the old Trinity ones years ago for the XX4 for those old enough to remember them. Part number is EX1819
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 04-10-2018

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the heads up on the diff savers. They will be perfect!! I will definitely add some of those to my latest shopping list.

McT