Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 20-06-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

the only picture that i can see any hints of flex from is this one:

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/x6/im...6oople-15.html

but this just seems to me that the shell is mounted unevenly, as you can see at the front on the shock tower - the shell has been placed on crooked.

all but 3 other pictures are static images and i cannot find any signs of flex anywhere?
Old 20-06-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/x6/im...6oople-14.html

Only reason I point it out, as I am not sure, chatted to Jim about it, but there 'appears' to be a significant delfection between the wing mounts and definately a difference in height of the wing mounts.

But I might be wrong, or it is an exageration of minor flex as the tower is mounted behind the box so any twist will be amplified.
Old 20-06-2006
Supah doOpah

i think thats just distortion from the wing mate, my x5 wing is very flexable, as are most others.

my wing is cut roughly the same as chris's on that picture and when going around high speed corners you can actually hear my wing rubbing on the tyre because it is flexing!

the wing mounts are spaced out, i presume only to reduce the flexing that the x5 gets and it looks very minor, and could be tricking the eye to think it is the rest of the car flexing?

i think it is just the wing though, i would'nt look too far in to it
Old 20-06-2006

I dunno, one part of me says, phot angle etc but my engineering mind has already calculated how a wing deflection like that can happen, lol.... Distortion shouldn't happen if the mounts are reasonably stiff and that distance apart, the whole idea of it is to stop the ends of the wings from flapping.

As I say, it could be a slight twist in the chassis (which most cars do) being over amplified due to it being further away from the 'stiff' part of the chassis.
Old 20-06-2006
Administrator

I will pull the picture if people aren't sensible about this. The photo is 1/2000th of a second in time.. this car is not flexing around a corner, it is landing from being airborne and the wing is deflecting.
I have photos of other cars on the same corner with more wing deflection than that - but because of the X6's wing mounts being further apart the middle can twist. Like paul said, this is thin plastic after all.

I have explained this on RC10b4.com as someone pointed it out there, people just need to be sensible about things. I see so many photos like this.
Old 20-06-2006
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM
I dunno, one part of me says, phot angle etc but my engineering mind has already calculated how a wing deflection like that can happen, lol.... Distortion shouldn't happen if the mounts are reasonably stiff and that distance apart, the whole idea of it is to stop the ends of the wings from flapping.

As I say, it could be a slight twist in the chassis (which most cars do) being over amplified due to it being further away from the 'stiff' part of the chassis.

Hi steve, the wing mount height hasnt changed. The right rear corner of the wing has been deflected down, the wing, pivoting on the wing mount, has pushed the centre of the wing upwards, twisting it in exactly the same way as all the photos I showed you of other cars. The only difference is the way the wing is mounted- the twisting from landing is the same.

This is a very very silly conversation though I have to say.
Old 20-06-2006

I think it is probably me over-analyzing Jim.
Old 20-06-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The wing is still a bit loose on the wing mounts. Imagine fitting a wing to a B4 without those plastic shims? it wobbles a lot doesn't it.... well that is how the wing sits right now as I need some of those B4 shims. So the wing is literally rattling all over the place - the car certainly isn't flexing as much as it would need to if it was distorting the wing that much, as it would snap - its rigid.

Anybody got any of the B4 wing shims spare? :flower:

Steve, if it had faults - you would know about them, just have a read on 2wdrc.com and Chazz is 100% open on everything. Please keep the questions coming, but also please don't pick holes where there are none.
Old 20-06-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM
I think it is probably me over-anal-yzing Jim.
Agreed :jimmeh
Old 20-06-2006
Administrator

How about some of that chassis protective sheet under the wing holes chris ? I have some of that I can bring on friday ? just to stop it rattling about.
Old 20-06-2006
Supah doOpah

ive got some of them shims here you can have chris, or go with jimmys option. ill remember to put them in my pocket for the weekend if you want them
Old 20-06-2006
Administrator

John price has his secret team driver tip, he has the middle of another wing under his wing, so it supports it really well where it matters and stops it deflecting.. You'd be able to quench the rumours as well! haha
Old 20-06-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

trouble is, people that see pictures know more about the cars in the pictures than the people that design them.

I don't know if you read the thread on RCTech about Ellis' car, someone was convinced that it was a xx4 body and it is was pretty much a xx4 with a 2WD front end attached...

I mean come on, do you not have eyes???

or is it a xx4 with a 2WD front end.... muhahaha ha ha aaa
Old 20-06-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The protective film idea is good for adding strength to the wing too, but I don't think it will be thick enough to stop the rattling. Hope you don't mind me taking you up on that offer Paul, I appreciate it, I'll have a cold beer waiting for you... ....

Two losi buttons per side would just about do it too, but I only have 1 pair left which were taken off my BK2. But the B4 shims are what it needs really.

The body is very twisted in that picture. I had fitted it in a rush and it needed more time.... its on well now and will look good for Jimmy at weekend.
Old 20-06-2006
Administrator

All I know chris, is that the XX4 is flexible!!!!!!! look at that wing

lol.. no, I read that post by that fella. I have no idea what XX4 he had seen ! lol.
Old 20-06-2006
Supah doOpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
John price has his secret team driver tip, he has the middle of another wing under his wing, so it supports it really well where it matters and stops it deflecting.. You'd be able to quench the rumours as well! haha
not a secret team driver tip no more
Old 20-06-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I did have that big fat red fire engine driving over me in that pic Jimmy!

nice one Tricky
Old 20-06-2006
Supah doOpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong
Hope you don't mind me taking you up on that offer Paul, I appreciate it, I'll have a cold beer waiting for you... ...
one beer per shim hey? :drunken: haha nah, really you can have em mate its no probs.

lets give some good criticism about the x-6 though hey. im really impressed with the work that every one at xfactory have done! the mouldings of the car are really professional, clean and look to be up to the job.

ill no doubt be looking out for both chris's and dan's cars on the weekend with alot of interest.
Old 20-06-2006
Administrator

Having held the car and examined it, I have to say the mouldings and all the Xfactory parts are ace. You really cant tell where the B4 ends and the X6 begins, its that professional.
I cant wait to see the cars at batley this weekend.
Old 20-06-2006

Cheapest solution to the rattly wing, go down to any stationary/craft/hobby shop and buy a small sheet of card foam, it is about 3mm thick, cut out a strip, double sided tape to the underside of the wing, covering the holes. Does two things, bridges the gap to stop it rattling and also stops the wing mount from scrathing the paint off to.

Chris, hope your not classing me in the same bracket as the American bafoon