Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Large Scale / Petrol Powered

Old 21-03-2014

Default which 5t

Hiya I'm goin to get a losi 5t but don't know which one is best the buggy or the truck as one is lighter but has less power please could u point me in the right direction cheers
Old 21-03-2014

I have been doing a lot of research into this as I'm going to be buying one.

The buggy DBXL isn't a 5t and doesn't share any parts with it. The original design wasn't even done by Losi but by an Asian company.

If you look at all the reviews the DBXL is getting quite a hard time, there appear to have been issues some builds quality and many people think the 23cc engine simply isn't up to the job. The 5t is a different story with pretty much all good reviews and a super strong following.

So here's the slightly odd news, based on all this I have ordered a DBXL. For me it's a better looking machine, the issues with the engine seem to (in part at least) be caused by poor tuning and a couple of simple mods should bring it up to scratch. The thing that sealed the deal for me is the price of spares. If I smashed the 5t and had to find the cash for a full new shell it would make me cry!

The DBXL is about £150 cheaper and come RTR while you will need a transmitter for the 5t. I have already spent more than the difference by buying a performance exhaust and clutch bell housing but I would have got these for a 5t too. If you order a DBXL from Free Prawn racing for the price of a 5t you can have a DBXL with a 28cc motor. Again as sensible as this sounds I don't do that either, I wanted to support my local hobby shop so got them to order me one in.

So basically it's personal choice if you want something super awesome straight out of the box then the 5t is the best bet. If you are prepare to have a tinker and want something slightly smaller, lighter and less "truck" looking the. The DBXL looks like a winner (I hope)