Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 08-06-2011

Cheers for the advice guys. What gearing was you running?

Old 08-06-2011

The recomended gearing is 34/87 but some will go higher and some will go lower, depends how fast you want to fry the motor ;-)
Old 08-06-2011

On the Saturday of the test weekend a few teams played with ratios and I think most teams ended back on the recomended gearing.

However that was on a different layout!
Old 08-06-2011

John & co..

question..

Would it be possible to leave the big urn for heating the hot water in the cafe area topped up & on the boil & made available so us poor racers in need of a caffeine fix to help us stay awake can bring our own tea/coffee making supplies without the need to bring a kettle & risk tripping the electrics or commandeering Mr Plimmers kettle to make a brew.
Old 08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1nce View Post
is 15 minutes a typo or a sneaky rule change? I was under the impression it was 5 minutes. Just double checked the regs on the website and that impression appears to be correct. Not really overly bothered as it'll effect everyone in the same way, just want to know for sure.
I was also under the impression it was 5 mins. 15 mins is going to seem like an age and will make the race hard to follow if teams will be loosing 45 laps at different times. I am guessing it's not going to be possible to show which team has been checked and which haven't yet for those watching. Maybe like in touring cars a few years back there was a dayglo strip that was removed when a pit shop had been done. Maybe cars could carry to stickers that were pealed off when they had been checked (or the other way around, and put a sticker on)

Also 15 mins could be a bit harsh on the driver it happens to if you are trying to split time between drivers as equally as possible
Old 08-06-2011

Talking

Excited!
Old 08-06-2011

This may be a daft question is there a kettle and microwave
Old 08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
This may be a daft question is there a kettle and microwave
read my last reply in this thread..
Old 08-06-2011

carnt wait now i will have energy drink running though my veins by the end of this lol as not planning on sleeping
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreeder View Post
I was also under the impression it was 5 mins. 15 mins is going to seem like an age and will make the race hard to follow if teams will be loosing 45 laps at different times. I am guessing it's not going to be possible to show which team has been checked and which haven't yet for those watching. Maybe like in touring cars a few years back there was a dayglo strip that was removed when a pit shop had been done. Maybe cars could carry to stickers that were pealed off when they had been checked (or the other way around, and put a sticker on)

Also 15 mins could be a bit harsh on the driver it happens to if you are trying to split time between drivers as equally as possible

Whilst I'm inclined to agree, it does at least ensure parity - five minutes doesnt leave a lot of time for error, meaning a check could overrun for some teams, or may mean that the scrutineers miss the large sharpened spike strapped to the front bumper.

Stickers are a good idea I think.
Old 09-06-2011

I think we're ready....

Old 09-06-2011

Love the Gulf shell!
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
Whilst I'm inclined to agree, it does at least ensure parity - five minutes doesnt leave a lot of time for error, meaning a check could overrun for some teams, or may mean that the scrutineers miss the large sharpened spike strapped to the front bumper.

Stickers are a good idea I think.
I am all for making sure all the cars are legal, but with pre-race checks as well, then 2x15min checks during the race it just seems a bit over the top. This will mean each car is being checked for half an hour during the race, there are 15 cars, is someone really going to do 7½ hours of checks during the race?

Also how much is going to be able to be changed between the 1st and 2nd in race checks? The car will be on track most of the time. I would have thought that 10 mins would have been more than enough to check the cars then a 2nd check of 5 mins. As John said in a previous post the check will most likely not take more than 5 mins, so it seems pretty pointless having the cars sat at the side doing nothing.
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
I am all for making sure all the cars are legal, but with pre-race checks as well, then 2x15min checks during the race it just seems a bit over the top. This will mean each car is being checked for half an hour during the race, there are 15 cars, is someone really going to do 7½ hours of checks during the race?

Also how much is going to be able to be changed between the 1st and 2nd in race checks? The car will be on track most of the time. I would have thought that 10 mins would have been more than enough to check the cars then a 2nd check of 5 mins. As John said in a previous post the check will most likely not take more than 5 mins, so it seems pretty pointless having the cars sat at the side doing nothing.
Take your points but its not 7½ hours of checks as its likely not 15 minutes each, probably is only about 5 - if it takes any longer than 5 minutes though you would be disadvantaged a lap or so even if you only lost ten or fifteen seconds. Whilst I agree I think its the lesser of two evils - at least with 5 minute checks its not likely that anyone will be disadvantaged.

If the checks are at random times my question is are the teams allowed to touch their own car for the remainder of the fifteen minutes once scrutineering has finished?
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
If the checks are at random times my question is are the teams allowed to touch their own car for the remainder of the fifteen minutes once scrutineering has finished?
Surely it should be your car gets checked and sits there for the rest of the 15minutes. If its failed scrutineering; after the 15 minutes you take it away, make it comply, then have it rechecked and off you go.

I'd be pissed if infringements where allowed to be corrected in the 15 minute window if my teams car passed twice! There should be a disavantage for rule breaks.
Old 09-06-2011

The teams should not be able to touch the cars during the scruitineering time, as that gives an advantage back to that team.

I know what you are saying about allowing extra time so that checks don't overrun, but I still think 15 mins is excessive. If it is thought checks will take 5 mins, then allow 8 or 10 mins. I just think with all cars being checked before the race, what is going to take upto 15 mins to find? (twice). These are not exactly complicated cars
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
The teams should not be able to touch the cars during the scruitineering time, as that gives an advantage back to that team.

I know what you are saying about allowing extra time so that checks don't overrun, but I still think 15 mins is excessive. If it is thought checks will take 5 mins, then allow 8 or 10 mins. I just think with all cars being checked before the race, what is going to take upto 15 mins to find? (twice). These are not exactly complicated cars
Just trust us, that's all i'm going to say. ;-) See you Saturday!
Old 09-06-2011

Urn and Microwaves are available to use providing you tidy up and wash up after yourselves!!! :-) We have a guy coming in to do full english breakfasts on Sunday.
Old 09-06-2011

I dunno, we are no where near France and the ACO (Ardent circuit officials) are up to their old tricks.
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
I think we're ready....

I'd tie the body clips to the bodyshell with a bit of fishing line. Nothing worse than the 3am battery change being delayed due to a lost clip!