Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 16-01-2012

Default RTR or kit ?

i see that many of the 2wd and 4wd buggies that are out are available predominantly as ready to run.

how do people rate these compared to the build your own kits?

is it a benefit or a hindrance? i see that many people whom want to race take much of the electrics out and change the tyres and there dont seem to be the abundance of RTR cars for 1/10 on road from what i've seen
Old 16-01-2012
SHRCCC Legend

RTR is great if your starting out and to get to grips with the hobby, then you can select your own choices.
Old 16-01-2012

id have a kit over an RTR anyday.

Old 16-01-2012
Mad Member

Got to be a kit all day long

Bought a RTR when i came over from 1/8th nitro just to see if i liked it did 2 meetings and upgraded to a kit!
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo
Old 16-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Agreed, RTR is great, but tends to come with the most basic electrics,and in some but not all the shocks etc can be a bit on the cheep side..within weeks you end up reaching for your wallet

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 16-01-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

The problem with RTR are that the electrics are actually almost worthless (with a few exceptions) - the powerplants are typically brushed or sensorless brushless, when the preferred option is sensored brushless (which can be done quite cheaply if you shop around, Hobbywing ftw!), the servos are usually awful, though the radios are getting decent now, with 2.4Ghz and some adjustability.

That said, one club I attend has a lot of RTR Associated B4s, and they bounce them off the floor, the walls and the other cars with surprisingly little damage. As the very first car, RTR can work out cheaper in the short term, though long term, good quality components, perhaps bought second hand at the club, will lose less value.

Edit: There is one RTR I lust after - the Thunder Tiger EB4 G3 electric 1/8th - it strikes me as a bargain, and everything in it is race-worthy. Nothing comes to mind that's as good for 1/10th though.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 16-01-2012

I started out with a RTR B4.1. I had to change the tyres straight away to suit our track and got a bigger pinion but as I had no other RC equipment it got me racing.
Now I seem to have quite a lot and if I was to buy another car to use this coming season I would buy the kit version and use the electrics I currently have.
My B4.1 is still going and will be used this season but it has a different controller, ESC and motor and all the ball stud caps will be replaced with fresh plus the shocks have been worked over a little. It also has upgraded alloy parts were plastic have broken and even the chassis which cracked has been replaced.
After one years racing only the body and a few minor bits are all that's left! Perhaps I should have bought the Factory Team but at the time I could only afford the RTR and I wanted to go racing.