Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 11-09-2011
Mad Member

got myself an la-11 for £4.72 and £3 postage from states on ebay last month,

cant believe how rare these are to find on ebay.

i'll soon have all the parts to build a mint shelfer
Old 12-09-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

They were rare ten years ago as well, but know these can be made as ive done the testing to see which plastics were needed. Soon (hopefully) the big job will be over and Matt can make a pile of them and other items to sell on to us.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 12-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
They were rare ten years ago as well, but know these can be made as ive done the testing to see which plastics were needed. Soon (hopefully) the big job will be over and Matt can make a pile of them and other items to sell on to us.

that will be great,

i asked matt ages ago for some la-11 and 2 or 3 front gearboxes, cant wait, he does a wicked job by the looks of the pics in this thread
Old 15-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoolaa View Post
that will be great,

i asked matt ages ago for some la-11 and 2 or 3 front gearboxes, cant wait, he does a wicked job by the looks of the pics in this thread
Yes, as good as the original, but I do have this thing for white bits on my car and does look rather unusual which is great . Layshaft gears are still going strong on my ZXS as well as the diff gear. Matt is a skilled dude .
Answer UK team driver
Old 18-09-2011

Default comparison question

hi guys, i have a lazer ZX and a optima mid special, and i have done restoring the optima mid special with lazer zx-5 suspension and lazer ZX shock towers. i will restore the Lazer ZX soon. But i am looking to restore to make it competitive with modern cars. My optima mid special project can be seen here http://superturbooptimamidspecialzx-5.blogspot.com/
I have a question for all you guys. As you all know the Lazer is basically derived from the LWB optima Mid. of course the Lazer is much easier to wrench on than the Mids enclosed drivetrain, from my own experience. I also know the lazers rear end is slightly lighter than the mid becuase of the abscence of the rear top gear and center gear. But about everything else its the same (i know the suspension is better on the Lazer) The Lazer and the Mid are both rear heavy cars and long wheelbase so they both understeer. I just ran my car recently and i find it understeers horribly and embarrasingly, the 2WD cars overtake me in the corners. But i beleive its becuase the optima mids original bellcrank comes with a very sloppy servo saver, on the ground when the car isnt moving with the servo turned full, the front wheels dont turn full lock. Question is, will a servo saver less A&L sterring bellcrank solve my understeering problem, from terrible understeering to mild understeering? what are your thoughts on this ?
Old 18-09-2011

All depends on what surface your running on. I ise 7 degree front hubs and zx5 rear hubs and get major oversteer. I believe your set up is the problem and not the car.

For more info look on radiocontrolzone for the lazer/alpha etc thread as ive gone through a shed load of changes to better the performance of this car as well as on this thread. Any help pm me.
Answer UK team driver
Old 18-09-2011
Mad Member

Alcyon

Fix the sloppy steering first and go from there.

I ran my zxr arms converted turbo optima mid special back in -97 in the swedish national championship.

the problem i had then was that i had just one pinion the stock one a 2-3 teeth lover should have done the trick. My home club held the event so i build it and raced it just because of that. And by the way i didn finnish last.

mvh isobarik
Old 18-09-2011

hey guys, i just noticed something i didnt notice before, looks like the ZX-5 suspension on the mid or lazer will not work so well, why? Cause the rear track width is less than the front! on the zx-5, the rear hingepins are designed 4mm further apart, so the rear hubs dont have offset. Placed on the mid or lazer, they will cause the rears to be narrower. i may have a workaround for this though, the kyosho tf-5 touring car rear hubs has a liuttle frther bearing spacing as well as ofsset the bearings more outwards. With the TF-5 rear hubs, i beleive the rear and front will be the same width, but you probably will have to use tamiya CVDs though. will keep you guys updated.
i just went trough my stash of stuff and i finally found my lazer ZX's front arms and c hubs, but i couldnt find the rear arms and hubs. anyone got any to sell? i also found my lazers ball diff pulleys front and rear and one FRP bateery hold down bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbospecial1.jpg (293.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 18-09-2011

oh my god, i just done a search for part LA-26 the arms, and they are so bloody hard to find ! i might have to shelve my restoration! anyway i chacned upon this ebay member from belgium calls himself opelvectrabreak, says he has parts LA-26 and some others, lets see how much he is charging me for them..
Old 18-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
hey guys, i just noticed something i didnt notice before, looks like the ZX-5 suspension on the mid or lazer will not work so well, why? Cause the rear track width is less than the front! on the zx-5, the rear hingepins are designed 4mm further apart, so the rear hubs dont have offset. Placed on the mid or lazer, they will cause the rears to be narrower. i may have a workaround for this though, the kyosho tf-5 touring car rear hubs has a liuttle frther bearing spacing as well as ofsset the bearings more outwards. With the TF-5 rear hubs, i beleive the rear and front will be the same width, but you probably will have to use tamiya CVDs though. will keep you guys updated.
i just went trough my stash of stuff and i finally found my lazer ZX's front arms and c hubs, but i couldnt find the rear arms and hubs. anyone got any to sell? i also found my lazers ball diff pulleys front and rear and one FRP bateery hold down bar.
Sorry but I am confused. Do you mean the rear hubs on the Lazer ZX-5 as they will fit the ZXR as I use them. Basically they are identical to the 2wd Ultima RB type R and they fit too. The rear track width is narrower and it actually makes the car better. The wider the rear end the worse the car goes around corners. Also widen the front with the extra hole on the front castor blocks and longer Ujs as with that and the fractionally narrower rear the cars superb.
Answer UK team driver
Old 18-09-2011

Iso,

This site may be of interest to you and you may be up for buying a few.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-ky...0#ht_528wt_650
Answer UK team driver
Old 19-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Sorry but I am confused. Do you mean the rear hubs on the Lazer ZX-5 as they will fit the ZXR as I use them. Basically they are identical to the 2wd Ultima RB type R and they fit too. The rear track width is narrower and it actually makes the car better. The wider the rear end the worse the car goes around corners. Also widen the front with the extra hole on the front castor blocks and longer Ujs as with that and the fractionally narrower rear the cars superb.
yes i heard about that too, but isnt the original optima mid and lazer wider at the rear? it just looks odd that rears are wider than the fronts. do you mean to say its like that on the zx-5 also ? i talked to opelvectrabreak, and he wants Euro 28 for a pair of arms ! looks like i will go look at my local hobby shop which carries kyosho parts from wayy back then, cross my fingers he still has what i am looking for...when you said the worse the car goes, do you mean oversteer?
i just looked at the optima mid specs, front track 207mm, rear track is 202mm, looks like you are right after all. Do you know the track width fro The ZX and ZX-r ?
Old 19-09-2011
Mad Member

Welsh
Yeah i have seen those not on the but i have hade an offering to buy but i havent got any shipping price.

Alcyon

The ZX5 uses alot of different arms the longest rear arms should be the RTR version or just could try to switch them around if the mm is up setting youor just mount an washer on the inside before you put the reartire on.

mvh Isobarik
Old 19-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
oh my god, i just done a search for part LA-26 the arms, and they are so bloody hard to find ! i might have to shelve my restoration! anyway i chacned upon this ebay member from belgium calls himself opelvectrabreak, says he has parts LA-26 and some others, lets see how much he is charging me for them..

i would try opelvectrabreak first (oli4ke on here),

he's a great guy and ive purchased loads of parts from him..

if he has none then there are 2 links below

they have some here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYOSHO-LA-...item45fbf5fb2a

and here:

http://www.bandhmodels.com/index.php...=la-26&x=0&y=0

the ebay one says they are in france yet the site one is in lincolnshire uk..and both have the same pic, i'm guessing the ebayer used the pic from the site

they sell them in the states but the only problem is they wont send to the uk, W*****s, and kyosho uk dont want to help out either. W*****S...

if you know anyone in the states or canada get them to order some from kyosho usa via their local model shop as the have the graphite ones in stock at $9 a set..... bargain....(they will need to go through a model shop as if they dont then postage is a rip off)

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/SusArm-...--_p_9804.html
Old 19-09-2011

Default i feel so stupid !

guys, i went to my local hobby shop, and i found 8 bags of Lazer ZX arms from a 3rd party manufacturer calle MPP from 1990 ! i feel so stupid becuase it was right under my nose all this time and i didnt know ! i much prefer the ZX arms over the ZX-5.
now alls left is to get the rear hubs and front c hubs . quick question, the ZX uses an odd looking upper turnbuckle for the front outer link, it is possible to use a standard turnbuckle, or a ZX-5 ballstud kingpin with a ZX-5 ballstud? will it severly limit the front suspension travel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPP arms1.jpg (359.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg MPP arms2.jpg (604.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg MPP arms3.jpg (496.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 19-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoolaa View Post
i would try opelvectrabreak first (oli4ke on here),

he's a great guy and ive purchased loads of parts from him..

if he has none then there are 2 links below

they have some here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYOSHO-LA-...item45fbf5fb2a

and here:

http://www.bandhmodels.com/index.php...=la-26&x=0&y=0

the ebay one says they are in france yet the site one is in lincolnshire uk..and both have the same pic, i'm guessing the ebayer used the pic from the site

they sell them in the states but the only problem is they wont send to the uk, W*****s, and kyosho uk dont want to help out either. W*****S...

if you know anyone in the states or canada get them to order some from kyosho usa via their local model shop as the have the graphite ones in stock at $9 a set..... bargain....(they will need to go through a model shop as if they dont then postage is a rip off)

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/SusArm-...--_p_9804.html
thanks my friend, since i found the arms, i only need LA27 fornt c hub, La28 rear hub and La29 upper rod set (is this really necessary?) i tried bandh and the other fellow, but both of them dont have LA-27 the c hub. i ant to buy LA-27 and LA28 at one go. do you guys know which lazer does the front hub LA-59 belong to? LA59 is in stock with bandh.
will they fit on the ZXs front arms?
Old 19-09-2011

Quote:
thanks my friend, since i found the arms, i only need LA27 fornt c hub, La28 rear hub and La29 upper rod set (is this really necessary?) i tried bandh and the other fellow, but both of them dont have LA-27 the c hub. i ant to buy LA-27 and LA28 at one go. do you guys know which lazer does the front hub LA-59 belong to? LA59 is in stock with bandh.
will they fit on the ZXs front arms?
The LA-59 are the same of the LA-27 hubs but with an additional hole that allow to use use a wider front end setup with longer UJs (Zx-RR version).

Bye
Ema
P.S. No one that runs the car use the LA-29.
Old 19-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ema View Post
The LA-59 are the same of the LA-27 hubs but with an additional hole that allow to use use a wider front end setup with longer UJs (Zx-RR version).

Bye
Ema
P.S. No one that runs the car use the LA-29.
hey thanks, looks like i am buying LA-59 ! i just bought 2 LA-28 and 1 LA-59 from bandh. i tried buying 2 LA-59s but the checkout wouldnt allow me to. Cant wait to get them !
Old 19-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
hey thanks, looks like i am buying LA-59 !

you can use the stuff that you have

La219 in the front and the Sp107/La 304 in the rear.

Works super i have them...

Good find those arms ....

mvh isobarik
Old 19-09-2011

I will post pics later on of the rear hubs and front hubs on my zx so you can see why i run narrower rear end. Zx-5 (the shaft drive) rear hubs or (iso help me out here) the rear ultima rb type r rear hubs. Makes the car more dialable than the zx/zxr original hubs.
Answer UK team driver