Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk > Aero Racing

Old 31-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Aero Breakages

Saw a few Aero's running at worksop yrsterday, and a few breakages too!

In terms of good spares to carry, were any of the broken rear wishbones damaging other parts too, like shock parts, hinge pins etc?

Also, looked like most people were doubling up on front shock towers, was this to play safe or have they a tendency to fail?
Old 31-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Dave,

I did a rear tower and wing mount in one crash, and a rear wishbone.

The original plastic is not the best but aero are sending out new parts to those with the car, (good job aero)

The shock towers do seem weak in places but im not sure if that was the cork floor as much as anything, i also tool the ends off the screws on the shock towers so they couldnt dig into the cork.

I am thinking of having some 4mm towers made. If anyone else is interested let me know.

Once we have sorted the reliability, the car will be very fast. Afterall, it is still a very new car and we seem to be ironing out the creases, but it will help us learn the car inside out

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 31-03-2008
Mad Member

Just a quick question ??? Where the Aero's the only ones breaking ???

Answer: Nope....

I myself had the worst day for a long time, and that is a mixture of not liking indoor racing, new car, etc..

Didn't finish one quali and finished the final with 3 wheels!!! what a day..

I have to say the new plastic parts from Aero are strong and there shouldn't be a problem with them now. Only one barrell role at end of straight into brick wall managed to break the new ones.

There is stock available now at the Raceplace..
Old 31-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Good point John,

There were numerous cars breaking and i did land upside down off the table top to break my rear tower (clipped the back end on the top of the down ramp)

But because its a new car, people are watching it and if they see it break it gets the label as being weak. I even got it out of shape on the straight and hit a leg of a chair, it didnt break

I think once the creases are ironed out and we hit upon a setup, this car will be rapid

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 31-03-2008
Mad Member

The car is rapid no question but it is like everything that is new... takes time to perfect..

I didn't once put my performance down to the car, the main reason we went yesterday was to test various bits and bobs in a competitive field.
I have never done any good indoors as it just doesn't suit me.

We have a real test this sunday as we have 1st regional 'OFF ROAD' yippeee.

Speaking of the car, am i right you said in email about drill bits ???
Old 31-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Yes john i can get hold of them no probs

Do you want some for kiddy or sooner, i have just emailed bob to ask for some more pistons so i can make up a full set and some in betweens

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 31-03-2008
Administrator

I saw a couple of rear broken arms, but then to put it in perspective I saw two rc10 B4 chassis snap in half. Imagine if the D2 had been there and broken just one chassis, everyone would be having fits about it because it's new!
Was a shame about the broken arms but at least they are working on it and sending out revised parts
Old 31-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sorry guys, didn't mean to make it sound like I was having a go, it's "my" car too for this year, all I was interested in was around what was breaking, for example just wishbones, or were the wishbones taking the hinge pins etc with them? Also what broke with the shock towers etc.

I think its great Aero are sending the new wishbones, and expected the rears to be weak yesterday, after all why replace them if they're not!

I'm just working out what spares I need, for example I have been running a trf501x for a year, its built like a brick outhouse but on the odd occassion I have done a wishbones its also taken out the hinge pins and front brace, and the front shock towers have tended to go along with the shock screws. Therefore with the tam I carry as many hinge pin braces as spare wishbones etc!

Hope that clarifies what I intended!

PS speedwise, it didn't look brilliant yesterday but I'm not too worried about that, after all its the UK champ, I think it'll be fine!
Old 31-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Yesterday was odd for us all, none of us had raced on that surface and we never had a base setup to work from really. The car is still very new, i know from others that kev has been very quick when running his. Like i said earlier once the teething problems are sorted the car will be very good.

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 31-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

They look quick in a straight line and from what I could tell looked good on the high grip sections too, maybe not so great on the low grip surface, but Worksops really funny with the surface, I can't imagine too many cars goi great there first time out.

Were you all running kit toe in on the back, ie 0, on the low grip parts they looked a bit nervy under acceleration?

Were any other bits breaking when the wishbones went?
Old 31-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Dave, it was just the wishbones going, nothing else bent.

I think the handling is down to just finding the right roll centre and more than anything, i think once we nail that the car will be a lot easier to tune to each track
i think the rear shock combo of 30wt and an orange piston is about right too.

we are getting close now, its just about finding the final little bits to make it feel right

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 31-03-2008

parts used at the weekend, original wishbones snapped as i thought they would, replaced with new versions no problems after that, rx stopped working(not the cars fault), shock tower snapped, ellis suggested removing the excess bolt protrusion which helped, doubled them up anyway no further problems, 4mm versions will be available from aero.
rear wishbones snapped x 2, first one caused by wraggy spinning in front and catching the rear, second caused by a predator spearing the rear.
hinge pin brace was bent but hinge pins were straight.

also ran the car on 21x84t using a speed passion 5.5 and tekin r1pro, thermalled in rd2, dropped to a 19x84t and ran cool.
john (part time pit man and timekeeper)
Ko Propo, Spektrum,
Custom Blitz
Old 31-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Anyone know the final drive ratio actually, not sure where to start from on gearing?
Old 31-03-2008

I broke the rear wishbone (original) and the nipple (can I say that?) off one of the wing mounts.

I did fall off the table top though
Old 31-03-2008

The original plastic is not the best but aero are sending out new parts to those with the car, (good job aero)

Lee, do you know when this will happen as I had an e mail from Aero sometime ago to say they were sending them out but I haven't seen any yet?
Old 31-03-2008
Administrator

I talked to bob today and the first rear arms came out of the mould too quickly and I guess deformed. He said he could have drilled them to get them out to people but they would have looked nasty and not been ideal so they have been remoulded and should be about at the back end of this week....

I think!
Old 31-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Fingers crossed, I could do with getting it going for the first regional which is a week before the first national, to try and get some practice in.

I'm a lazy so and so, so can't be bothered putting the suspension on the car till the new bits arrive!
Old 19-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramey View Post

Lee, do you know when this will happen as I had an e mail from Aero sometime ago to say they were sending them out but I haven't seen any yet?
Still no sign of these parts, anyone received theirs yet?
Old 21-04-2008
Lee-Mag

Yes

Bob from Aero gave me mine yesterday, i have to say that the guys from aero are probably some of the nicest in RC, they did not know me and i had only spoke over email yet they, watched every race and were extremely supportive. I have to give them 10/10 for support.

I`m pretty sure if you send bob an email then he will tell you how to get hold of the bits your after, they are very helpful guys.

And my car felt very good yesterday, its just a shame i couldn`t keep it on its wheels.

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 30-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramey View Post
Still no sign of these parts, anyone received theirs yet?
I e mailed Aero almost a week ago asking when the upgraded parts would be available and they haven't even bothered to reply!