Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 16-04-2012

Default <£300 competitive startup kit & electrics suggestions?

I'm returning from my semi retirement after about 5 years (with hopefully better results than Michael Schumacher) and a lot of things have changed but after doing a bit of research I've come up with the following..
Can anyone offer any better solutions I did look at the RTR options like the twister and mad monkey but I can't get on with the wheel transmitters

Any help welcome as I want to get out there racing

Buggy:link
madmonkey kit £62
Motor&ESC:link
Hobbywing EZrun Brushless 1/10 Car Motor Combo B2 9T 4300KV 35A ESC EZcomboB2 £89.99
Charger:link
iMAX B6 Digital RC Lipo NiMh Battery Balance Charger £23.22
Battery:link
Orion Carbon Sport 5000 45C 7.4V £49.99
Radio&Servo:link
AP2402 Acoms Techniplus 2.4G Stick Radio inc servo £45
Bearing kit:link
For MadMonkey £14.25

Total £284.45
Old 16-04-2012

Better off trying to get the EZrun 8.5 or 5.5 60amp combo as the 35 amp one inst the best for racing but ive had no issues with either of my 60amp 5.5t. Dont be put off by people telling you its to fast - just turn down the epa on the radio on the throtle and its fine even in the wet!

I have been getting them from Giantcod but there currently out of stock but there are some on ebay - check they are the latest V2.0 ones though and not copies.
Old 16-04-2012

you want a good servo too it makes a load of difference look on ebay for some deals
Old 16-04-2012

What would be a good servo these days? As it stands my budget only has about £20 left - I'm guessing this will still get me something better than the standard acoms items.

Thanks for all the help.. I think I'm nearly there..
Old 16-04-2012

Can get a bearing kit for £9.99 too rcbearings iirc

Need to think about diff balls and idler gears too - again circa £20 for the lot.

Used one of these servos in a monkey before and it was fine
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-u...roducts/359810
Old 16-04-2012
Mad Member

The Acom is a radio I've seen used... ever that isn't to say it's bad but maybe get down to your local club and see what cheaper radio's are being run. There are no set up options on that one and although I appreciate you're doing this on a budget don't mess yourself later down the line by having to spend more money and then not be able to sell the one you have because it's so so basic. It's false economy. The budget spektrum wheel radio with the dials to adjust everything is very very underrated, (CLICKY) I think it's about 70 quid ( but you'd still need a servo ). If you buy from JE SPares as you're a member on here you get a discount too

People upgrade all the time, you might find a used one on the for sale section on this site or ebay ?

Also the servo that comes with it is very very basic, with plastic gears. You might find better results getting an etronic's radio, cheap, not too bad and they do metal geared servo's for about 20 quid if you're buying new. Otherwise look out on here or one of the other forums for metal geared ones.

If you can get a good servo to start with the money will be well spent as you won't have to replace it in a few months, it will help you hold your line on corners too ! Link to cheap servo...

My paintwork thread
Old 16-04-2012
Mad Member

As a side note have you considered this, currently out of stock at JE Spares ( correct at time of me writing this )

http://www.jespares.com/electric-mod...tegory_id=1195

If your budget is £300 this is coming in well under, car, with radio, servo and ESC / Motor so all you need is charger and lipo.

Not sure what the better option is for you ?

My paintwork thread
Old 16-04-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
As a side note have you considered this, currently out of stock at JE Spares ( correct at time of me writing this )

http://www.jespares.com/electric-mod...tegory_id=1195

If your budget is £300 this is coming in well under, car, with radio, servo and ESC / Motor so all you need is charger and lipo.

Not sure what the better option is for you ?
I was going to suggest something similar - either the B4.1 RTR or the Losi 22 RTR, and then if you really can't get on with the wheel radio swapping the TX/RX combo for a stick (none of the cheap stick sets are that great, perhaps the Etronix or Code radio are the best bet, or a 40MHz Futaba 3GR for a shade more money). The Losi would appear to have nicer electronics and can also be built as a mid-motor for not too much extra money. Budget for a set of tyres to suit your track.

The Ansmann is probably a decent car but there will be a lot more setup knowledge and parts availability at most tracks for the Losi and Associated - especially the Associated which has been the de-facto 2wd buggy for a decade.
Old 16-04-2012

dont think the acoms system will be any good for race purpose as no end point adjustments on it although it is 2.4 and cheap, the code or etronics 2.4 system does have epa and there are a few drivers using them as a starting point, also heard that the 35a speedos get hot and cut out after about 4mins in a race situation so the 60a would be better choice and personally i would get the associated b4.1 as better quality than the ansman but then i would say that as got 2 already and love the. may be worth looking at something like the cougar sv1 as just over 120 quid as kit form then look for some second hand electrics to go in it
Carisma gtb x2
Schumacher gt12 x2
Old 16-04-2012

45 quid for a battery....can get 2 for that price that will be more than good enough for club racing and they last 5 mins too !
Old 16-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

go for the Xerun sensored 60A speedo with around an 8.5
far better control than the sensorless EZrun.

cheaper lipos available
get a second hand core code 2.4 radio, has all the adjustments needed for same price as acoms.
Madmonkey is an ace car. can't be beaten for value/performance

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 17-04-2012

Here's my two pennys worth if you keep your eyes peeled on here or eBay there is always someone selling a full setup & some with really decent equipment for about your budget & even if it's say £50 more you can offer them what you have in money terms & if they really need the cash some will drop the price just make sure you don't get stung try using PayPal and don't send as a gift also make sure it includes fees +p&p but you will ave to be patient and look regularly to catch a good deal Hope this helps
Old 17-04-2012

Thanks for all your help, I think I'm going to take the advice and go with the associated B4.1 RTR and try and get to grips with the wheel controller.

I decided against the second hand route only through experience I ended up having lots of annoying little problems popping ball joints and drive shafts just puts a dampener on a race day if you have to deal with that sort of thing, and I've had an associated buggy before and was always impressed with the build quality out the box.

One last question would I be better with 2x Overlander Sport 7.4V 3350 25C LiPo Stick Pack (Deans) at £24 each or 1x
Orion Carbon FLX 4000 45C 7.4V (Deans) at £50?

I was going to go for the Orion Advantage IQ404 LiPo Charger at £30 I don't suppose it can be that bad if it's Orion and it balances batterys and is mains/12v again any advice welcome.
Old 17-04-2012
Mad Member

There is a Losi 22 in the for sale section, mostly there, looks a good price, not checked feedback on seller and I don't know them but might be worth you having a look ? I know what you're saying about buying used but generally on here people know what they're on about, describe as is so they get decent feedback from whoever they sell it to and you save yourself a lot of cash.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98886

My paintwork thread
Old 17-04-2012

I seen that too is amounts to about £220 for everything car/ speedo/ motor/ battery I think charger just needs a transmitter and has a pro painted shell looks in good nick too