Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 14-07-2011

Default Strange Howl

Ive searched threw numerous post and still cant find something that im looking for but Im sorry if this has been answered before. I have built my cougar sv prolly a week ago and since I have had a strange howl comming form the back. I have torn apart my diff 3 times now tryed it right and left positions to see if that was the cause. Loosen and tighten my slipper clutch and still cant find it. Reason im thinking diff is cuse i loose power when it howls.

I did the break in as any ball diff by spining a tire off the ground and back and forth, and built it per simons diff build wich was really helpful. Any help would be greatly appracated thanks again.
Old 14-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sounds like the diff slipping to me.

With the car facing away from you, hold the left rear wheel in your left hand, hold the spur with your left thumb. Now try and turn the right rear wheel forward with your right hand. If the slipper plates dont move but the wheel does then the diff is slipping and needs tightening. Do it a 1/8 turn at a time until the slipper plates turn when you do the test as described above. Dont forget to tighten the grub screw tightly against the thrust bolt when its set to lock it off or else it will likely come undone when you are using it.

A good starting point i found is to tighten the diff all the way, then back it off 1/4 of a turn. It wont be too far off from there.

HTH

See My Feedback

Old 14-07-2011

Thanks for the info going to give it a try and hopefuly that helps.
Old 14-07-2011

Now not to sound dumb but i thought i read someware that the big diff screw if the cars looking away is supose to be on the right hand side is this correct? I didnt see in the dirrection wich way this is supose to be pointing
Old 14-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Doesnt matter which way around it is installed. Is it slipping ?

See My Feedback

Old 14-07-2011

Havent tryed since i tightend. I backed the grub screw out then tighten the sliper and backed off a 1/4 turn and then tighten the grub in. I was just wondering cuse I also run a blitz and if the ball diff is in backwords it will work its way back out.
Old 14-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I swop mine around as the outdrives wear out to keep the wear equal each side. It doesnt matter which way its installed. You shouldnt need to try it to feel if its slipping. The bench test will tell you if its not too far off. The slipper plates should spin when you apply moderate pressure turning the right rear wheel forward. If its really difficult to turn, the slipper is too tight. If the plates spin freely then you need to tighten the slipper or else you may melt the spur gear first run. The diff action should still be smooth.

Its easy to do, not so easy to explain. You`ll probably need to fine tune the slipper for the surface you are racing on but the bench test gets it 90% right before you put the car down.

See My Feedback

Old 14-07-2011

Thanks Rich for your help greatly appracated and i think i know what you are saying about the slipper settings i think i read about it
Old 14-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by exacutionar View Post
Thanks Rich for your help greatly appracated and i think i know what you are saying about the slipper settings i think i read about it

Not a problem fella. Get the diff set right first then set the slipper when you are happy that the diff is smooth without slipping.

See My Feedback

Old 16-07-2011

Ran today no howl or diff problems but have noticed a termendus push in tight turns it makes the start of the turn some what tight could be tighter i think and then swoops way out . Nose keeps poping up just a little bit to push the weight to the back.
Old 16-07-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

put 7.5 gedree hubs on this will help it turn in corners, the fab break system will also help but isn't cheap,
Old 16-07-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
put 7.5 gedree hubs on this will help it turn in corners, the fab break system will also help but isn't cheap,
Should be interesting on a cougar SV!
Old 16-07-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

lol oops didnt see the cougar bit sorry
Old 16-07-2011

Send a message via MSN to TKG26

I once had a howl with my cougar. It was when i ran red CORE inserts i my mini pins. I could hear them spinning inside the tire. On and off throttle. They apparently are too small.