Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 10-11-2013

Default Paint colours

Hi,
I'm thinking of having a go painting my first shell with an airbrush so I will need to buy some paint.

I was thinking of using the Faskolor range mainly.
Is that a good choice?

Also, I would like an airbrush paint as close as possible to the Tamiya rattle can, PS23 Gun Metal. It's a metallic mid grey colour, can anyone advise?
I've seen there is a pearl charcoal in the Faskolor range, would that be similar?

If not, could I use the Tamiya rattle can on the same shell as the Faskolor paints without worrying about any strange reactions?

Was also planning to use some RCS chrome, so any advice on the combination (Faskolor, Tamiya rattle can, RCS chrome)? Which order to spray etc?

Thanks.

Nigel Powell - Schumacher - Silverstone RCMCC
Old 10-11-2013
Mad Member

Faskolor is perfectly good paint, I use most that combined with Createx AutoAir paints.

If you were doing that job I would start with the tamiya rattle can and get that down and sealed first, ( you should test on some scrap lexan that if you put chrome over the top it will be okay ), to be honest though as long as you dust the chrome on after you'll be fine ! Back the chrome with Faskolor black then lay down your other Faskolors and you'll be fine.

No Faskolor Pearl Charcoal is too dark. I would go for something like AutoAir Pearlized Black (4314) (CLICKY) the swatch on screen looks way way darker than it is.

Hope that helps, post up if you get and problems and I'm sure one of us can answer to help you out.

My paintwork thread
Old 10-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
Faskolor is perfectly good paint, I use most that combined with Createx AutoAir paints.

If you were doing that job I would start with the tamiya rattle can and get that down and sealed first, ( you should test on some scrap lexan that if you put chrome over the top it will be okay ), to be honest though as long as you dust the chrome on after you'll be fine ! Back the chrome with Faskolor black then lay down your other Faskolors and you'll be fine.

No Faskolor Pearl Charcoal is too dark. I would go for something like AutoAir Pearlized Black (4314) (CLICKY) the swatch on screen looks way way darker than it is.

Hope that helps, post up if you get and problems and I'm sure one of us can answer to help you out.
Thanks for the reply eyeayen.
A couple of follow on questions...
What do you mean by sealed? Covered with another paint?
Do you have any pics of a shell painted with the AutoAir Pearlized Black?
Old 11-11-2013
Mad Member

No trouble for the reply, happy to help !

Seal / Back is to just apply colour behind the other. Generally if you want to use Solvent AND water based paints put the Water Based down last as it won't affect the solvent. If you do it the other way around you're more likely to get a reaction.

Also Chrome needs backing with black to bring the colour out.

Yes I have a lot of photo's of pearlised black but to be honest it does look black where as in the pot and on the actual shell it looks more like a lovely dark metallic grey, a sort of gun metal colour, I even splodged some out on paper and photographed it for you but it comes out too dark in photo's.

If it's absolutely 100% critical you have the right colour I would just buy the tamiya one and spray it into your airbrush pot. I just buy water based paints because I like the colours, I might use them a lot, I might not I just like to have the stock. If you're going to airbrush one shell you are probably going to do a lot more after so I would just get some paints to cover the basics, in that if you buy a black and a silver you can mix your own colour to get the desired shade.

Hope that helps.

My paintwork thread