Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 14-06-2015

Default Trackstar 9.5t motor speed

I've got a turnigy trackstar 9.5t brushless sensored motor coupled with a hobbyking x-car 120a esc and use turnigy 5000mah 2s lipo.

I've never really been that impressed with the speed on anything bigger than a small garden. I've tried it on a 2wd madrat buggy with all kinds of different gears from 21/80 to 27/80, although I've got slightly better speeds at the cost of more motor heat, It's never been to hot to touch.

I've now put it all on a turnigy SCT 2wd v2 short course truck with the standard 21/82 and although I could get a bigger pinion or smaller spur, I don't feel its going to make much difference.

For a sanity check I've just hooked up an old 12T brushed motor to LRP speedo and free-ran the two with no pinions. The old brushed motor sound way higher pitched on stock timing like its running about twice as many RPMs.

I've tried changing timing on the brushless on the back of the can and on the speedo programmer and it just never changes RPM at all.

I can run for 15 mins without the Lipos even looking to have drained at all too.
No matter how much grip neither buggy nor SCT will pop a wheelie.

Does any body have any ideas or advice? It's a great smooth motor, is it just not a hot enough motor for what I'm expecting? I thought seen as the fastest modified brushed motor I had "back in the day" was a 12T, a 9.5T brushless would be another league.

Do I just need to go out and buy a 3.5-4.5T motor or something? I know you can go 3s for batteries but I'd expect a Lipo and modern brushless setup to be at least as fast as an old brushed setup @ 2s voltage.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be much appreciated
1/10th Electric Touring: Schumacher Axis 2
Full Scale Petrol: 2013 Focus ST-3
Old 14-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters86 View Post
I've got a turnigy trackstar 9.5t brushless sensored motor coupled with a hobbyking x-car 120a esc and use turnigy 5000mah 2s lipo.

I've never really been that impressed with the speed on anything bigger than a small garden. I've tried it on a 2wd madrat buggy with all kinds of different gears from 21/80 to 27/80, although I've got slightly better speeds at the cost of more motor heat, It's never been to hot to touch.

I've now put it all on a turnigy SCT 2wd v2 short course truck with the standard 21/82 and although I could get a bigger pinion or smaller spur, I don't feel its going to make much difference.

For a sanity check I've just hooked up an old 12T brushed motor to LRP speedo and free-ran the two with no pinions. The old brushed motor sound way higher pitched on stock timing like its running about twice as many RPMs.

I've tried changing timing on the brushless on the back of the can and on the speedo programmer and it just never changes RPM at all.

I can run for 15 mins without the Lipos even looking to have drained at all too.
No matter how much grip neither buggy nor SCT will pop a wheelie.

Does any body have any ideas or advice? It's a great smooth motor, is it just not a hot enough motor for what I'm expecting? I thought seen as the fastest modified brushed motor I had "back in the day" was a 12T, a 9.5T brushless would be another league.

Do I just need to go out and buy a 3.5-4.5T motor or something? I know you can go 3s for batteries but I'd expect a Lipo and modern brushless setup to be at least as fast as an old brushed setup @ 2s voltage.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be much appreciated
21/80 would be massively undergeared for a 9.5 in a madrat, probably needs something like a 28t to 30t pinion, or the 27t pinion you've got and a fair bit of timing, boost or turbo depending on the speedo options.

Friday Night Buggy Racing nr. Milton Keynes - TCRCMC
Old 14-06-2015

I've been running a 27/80 for a while on the buggy and it's better but still tops out too quick. I've tried a 30t but it didn't have the grunt then, it sacrificed acceleration with no visible top end. I found 27t was about the best of both worlds. As I say though, would be fine for an indoor track but on a big enough bit of grass or road it gets a bit boring as the top speed just isn't there.
Old 14-06-2015

Ok leave it on 27/80 but add some turbo or boost (depending on the speedo settings) turbo won't change the bottom end punch. You could add 5 degree at a time whilst keeping an eye on motor temps, as long as you can comfortably touch it is fine

Old 14-06-2015

A 9.5t in a 2wd should be brisk but it won't be super fast.
I suspect you're just expecting too much out of it.
If you had a decent brushed 12t back in the day, for similar revs you should be looking at around a 6.5t brushless.
And if you want insane grunt/speed on 2s then you'll need even lower turns, something like a 5.5t or even a 4.5t...
A 9.5t will be fine on most tracks with the right gearing and a bit of timing in the other hand.

Last edited by charlesk; 14-06-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 14-06-2015

Cheers for the suggestions people.
Thinking I might get a 5T or something similar and put the 9.5t in my old touring car so I've got something for the road - I bet it'll be quite good in that.
Old 14-06-2015
Mad Member

I ran a track star 10.5 indoors a couple of years ago. "Manageable" would be a good word to describe it. Even boosted to buggery it was only slightly interesting outside. And it got hot. Really hot.

So I got an 8.5 trackstar. That's noticeably quicker, even without boost. Boosted, it can get a bit lairy.

(I've had a boosted 8.5 in the 4wd for a while, that's nicely quick with boost.)
Old 14-06-2015

Hi Matt,
That's helpful thanks.
I imagine this 9.5t would be great indoors without the terrain and wide open spaces that the outdoor brings.

If you're seeing a noticeably better speed with an 8.5t over a 10.5t then I guess I'm on the right tracks, probably expecting a bit too much from my 9.5t

I just can't seem to notice any difference from turbo settings to be honest - I don't really know how the variable timing works though through software. I mean would it depend on the sensor cable, could that be faulty if these finer details of tuning aren't showing?

Might just be my little hobby wing 120a esc that's just cheap n semi-cheerful lol
Old 14-06-2015

You should certainly notice a difference with 10 or 15 degrees of timing on the motor or speedo and turbo can be quite obvious when it kicks in. If the sensor cable is playing up you will have no timing or turbo, even adjusting the timing on the motor will have no effect

Old 14-06-2015

OK just got a chance to have a bit of a fiddle...
Found two things (one of which is very embarrassing so I'll leave until last)

Firstly - swapped the Sensor cable and suddenly my timing works, wow revs sound much better.

Secondly - noticed the trim under my throttle stick on Code 2.4Ghz Transmitter... "ATL"

What could this do? Lets flick it up from 50 to 100. Blip throttle, think it's so hi-pitched the dogs in the neighbourhood will be coming over to see what called them. So I have just reset factory settings on ECU, undoing my timing and it still sounds on par with fastest modified motor I've heard of.

So that's embarrassing..

Perhaps someone could shed a light on what the ATL function is for and why it would be 50% on the controller @ factory defaults? Does it stand for "A Throttle Limit" lol?

Too wet and dark to test it now but hopefully will stay dry now and get a chance to give it a quick go after work tomorrow night.

Oh actually 3rd thing - one of the wires had fallen off motor DURRRR!!! (I soldered back on and got more revs lol) but to be fair to me, it was soldered on fine on the buggy and that didn't wow me. I think the 50% throttle limit! and no turbo! might of been the cause
Old 15-06-2015
Mad Member

Might be worth cracking out the manual.....

(And now all you've got to worry about is set up and heat!)
Old 16-06-2015

Looks like it's the maximum throttle point. So by default it seems to be on 50% but I guess if I reset my throttle max point, neutral and reverse again it would probably fix it. I don't think I've done this since upgrading to a 2.4GHz handset and receiver.

But as for the performance - I've set timing right down to 6deg as programming wanted to set it to 24 as default. I've then set the turbo to kick in after 0.3s. I've also reduced my punch from 9 to 7 and put around 30g of weight across the servo, bulkhead and front bumper as I found it just lifted the wheels too much to be able to steer, etc.... Kept finding the wall.

It's really awesome now - not took it out somewhere wide open yet but based on the fact it can no longer top out on my garden and is now far too fast for my garden - I'm guessing it's going to be good.

Taking it to some holiday lodges this weekend that we are going to for a works do, will take it on the golf course and feedback

Thanks for the help people.