Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News > Previous years oOple events > oOple Off Road Open Series 2017

Old 03-07-2017
Super Moderator

Default Round 4 Results from Mendip

Another fantastic oOple Round at Mendip this past weekend with only the odd hiccup, more of that later!

The team arrived at sunny Weston Super Mare to be greeted by the Mendip track crew busy working on their bespoke astro track. Plenty of people were taking advantage of the kind weather to camp at the venue and all was good.

Saturday saw 113 entries racing 2WD, 4WD, Stadium and Short Course trucks all needing 3 hours of practice on what was a challenging but rewarding layout. Drivers briefing followed with the now traditional oOple raffle with 24 prizes handed out, some to very lucky double winners.

Saturday qualifying was run over four rounds followed by a further round on Sunday and its was game on between the locals and the visitors.

Local chap Mark Hancock eventually took pole position in 2WD followed closely by Gav Crolla from the North West and Mark Field from the South West. Special mention here to Matt Guppy who made his first oOple A Final in ninth!

In the main A final 2WD, Gav Crolla took a win in the first leg over Mark Hancock but Mark then took the advantage back in leg 2 so it was game on for the final leg. Gave Crolla got into the lead and held his nerve to finally win an oOple event outright, a feat he has been threatening to do for two years! Gave drove his Serpent car out of its socks and deserved his A final 2WD win!

Mark Hancock came second overall with Stephen Lawson a creditable third from the 7 spot on the grid.

In 4WD it was another local "ish" driver Craig Harris who put his Xray on pole with Mark Hancock having a great weekend in second and the consistent Gav Crolla in third. Craig basically dominated the first two legs of the 4WD A final to take the overall win leaving Mark Hancock to take leg three. A close battle over the three legs for third saw Welsh wonder Chris Mills succeed but nobody could touch Mr Harris!

In Stadium truck and 2WD Short Course it was a master class from Mendip club chairman Martin Owen putting his Kev Lee PR truck on pole and basically winning all the heats and finals he raced in! A good set of finals saw Sam Martin achieve second overall with the consistent Ben Kirkham third - looking good for Ben in the overall championship.......

In 4WD short course TQ was taken by Damian Whittle and he took the first two leg wins sealing overall victory. However, he was pushed hard by Jim Dixon and Neil Burdess who both had great runs in the last leg which pretty much entertained the watching crowd!

FINAL WINNERS:

2WD

E Final - Roy Davies
D Final - Matthew Hinks
C Final -Stu Evans
B Final - Tom Knowles
A Final - Gav Crolla

4WD

E Final - Gary Preston
D Final - Ben Kirkham
C Final - Mark Thornewill
B Final - Lee Fraser
A Final - Craig Harris

2WD Stadium Truck/2WD Short Course Truck

A Final - Matthew Owen

4WD Short Course Truck

A Final - Damian Whittle

Now the hiccups - Sorry, I forgot the trophies! We have all your addresses and we will get them out this week in the post.

Sadly the end of the meeting was marred by the theft of a little lads car and radio by some non racing people. We are working with the Mendip club and the great guys at the Big Blue Tent to help get him back racing, many thanks to you guys. A separate thread on oople is running to explain the situation.

A big thanks to Martin Owen, Rick Evans and Matt Guppy for making us feel welcome and providing us with another great track.

Thanks to the oOple team for making the long journey down from the North, I know you all enjoyed it!

And finally, VERY SPECIAL THANKS to ROB PAYNTER who ran a masterclass on how to run race control at a big meeting. He ensured the meeting ran efficiently, safely and kept the commentary going! You are a star!

Overall Results are here along with the championship tables:

oOoo's 2017 Champ Tables After Rd 4 Mendip.pdf

Overall Final Results Mendip Rd4.pdf

ROSSENDALE MODELS

BRITISH NATIONAL 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2012
BRITISH NATIONAL SERIES 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2013

Last edited by WHITTLER555; 04-07-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2017

Rob Paynter is a legend in race control. I think you guys should hire him to do all the oOple meetings!!! What do you think Rob?

A flipping fantastic weekend, dare I say, a lot better than the one I ran last year yes, yes I do dare say it! Well done to the Mendip crew for getting the place looking sharp and to everyone else involved, Mike P from No.5 RC kept us all rolling with the shop and the guys from Munchies were on hand to serve the hands down best, bacon, egg and cheese roll (barm to you Northerners) I have had in a long time.

Bollocks to the results. Yeah I made the A, but what an awesome weekend of racing and catching up with friends from around the UK.

Great to see everyone. On to BRUY!!!!!! Maybe A final no.2???

#allhailthebbt

CML - Team Associated - Reedy - Savox - Nuclear RC - Schumacher Racing

CML UK Team Driver - Team Associated B6.1 - T6.1 - B64 - B6
A State Of RC podcast presenter
www.astateofrc.com
[url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/483687655122491/[url]

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQ..._as=subscriber
Old 03-07-2017

Default Hello

Thanks for they kind words guys was a great team effort and would love to have you all back again:thumbs: And well done Matt on making that A final
Old 04-07-2017
Super Moderator

Overall results and Championship Tables after Round 4 are in the first post at the bottom of the page!!

ROSSENDALE MODELS

Old 05-07-2017

Really was a fantastic weekend!
Thank you to everyone who puts in there spare time and makes so much effort into making these meetings possible.
Your all legends in my book !
😊
Old 08-07-2017

Default Trophy

Winners Trophy arrived safe and sound.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2017
Super Moderator

Good stuff

ROSSENDALE MODELS