Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Silverstone

Old 18-10-2015

Default your tips for a newbie

Hi all

like many do im returning to the fold after many years away doing family stuff.
im really looking forward to getting back into it and hoping to get to the club this Tuesday or next just to chat.

ive gone out and bought a second hand schumacher kf off ebay but now need all the kit its a mine field to me these days but im buzzing and just want to get it running and attend a meeting
i know price is a factor but my skills used to be average so having the most expensive stuff is pointless, just want to be able to run it and not be getting lapped by everyone

i was looking at getting a wheeled controller 2.4g, is this any good
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1417835141...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

errm motor...no idea same with the esc wasn't sure what amp you all run and again batteries ! i know i need lipos but what size do you all run, i see this kf runs two batteries (shortys if im right?)

transponder ? or is that just on race days
tyres ? or can i just run the schumachers that are on it ?

arrghh so many questions

anyway im sure this is one of many thousand posts you get asking these questions but i just don't want to waste money i kit i dont need and i going crazy having a car that i cant use

anyway much appreciate any advice

kind regards
Steve
Old 19-10-2015

The best bet is to come along on a Tuesday and have a chat.
Schumacher is probably the most popular car so there will be lots of us able to help there.

A transponder is needed even for club nights so look to get an AMB Harry. The club has one or two that you can borrow for the first couple of weeks to get you going but you'll need your own soon. As far as Lipos are concerned you'll want a set of "saddles" (used in pairs), or a single "shorty" depending on your car setup. Check the Schumacher website for CoreRC lipos to get you up and running. 2 sets is about the minimum you need for racing.

Tyres we sell at the club or you can buy direct from insideline models, or Schumacher.
You'll want minipin rears and cut stagger fronts. Yellow compound.

That probably covers it. I'm not too sure about the radio gear but I always recommend just getting something cheap to start with and upgrade later once the other costs drop off. Getting started is always the most expensive time. The same goes for electrics really. Any 8.5 to 10.5 should be fine and virtually any Speedo.

Wingers

Schumacher KC / KF / K1 Aero / MI4CXL - SRCMCC - Puppy Paint
Old 19-10-2015

Hi Steve,
Welcome back to RC car racing!
Like you say, the best way to get back up to speed and answer all your questions would be to pop in and see us on a Tuesday evening, but as I can see you are keen to get your gear sorted I'll try and give some pointers.

Good choice of car by the way, the KF will go well at Silverstone
I race with sticks rather than steerwheel, so I'm not the best to advise on a set of radio gear, but my opinion is go for a quality brand, Futaba, KO, Sanwa...

As for motors, most of the top racers will be running 6.5T motors, but I would recommend you start with something a bit softer, like a 8.5T or even 10.5T while you remind yourself how to drive!
There are lots of good brands to choose from, a good budget choice is the Speed Passion V3 in my opinion, if you want to spend more there's Nosram, Thunder Power, LRP, Hobbywing... these are all good as are many others I've not mentioned.

ESC again theres loads of choice, I'm not too up to speed on the best budget options, I run Hobbywing V3.1 which are excellent but not cheap, I've used the Speed Passion Reventon before too. Others at the club can probably advise further.

You'll want a good spec servo too, something fast with a good amount of torque like the Savox 1258, I use the KO Rsx2 which is very good, but again not cheap.

For Lipo you need to decide which layout to run in your car. As standard the KF takes saddles (two short packs, one each side of the belt), the other option is a Shorty lipo (single lipo that runs across the car). Both will work well at Silverstone, in theory saddle layout should have the edge.
Brands such as Nosram, Thunder Power, Team Orion etc are popular and good quality. You will need a lipo sack for safe charging, this is a club rule.
If you want to get started with saddles, I've got some you could use for a couple of weeks before buying some.

You will need a PT (Transponder) to race, but I believe the club has some that can be borrowed for your first couple of weeks.

You should also organise BRCA membership to allow you to race at Silverstone (and elsewhere). Also worth joining the club if you plan to race regularly.
Booking in is here:
http://www.silverstonercmcc.com/booking-in/4589611651

Most popular tyre choice at the moment is Schumacher Mini Pin yellow rears and low profile slim cut stagger fronts.

Feel free to ask further questions if need be, and come and find me when you make it along on a Tuesday and I can help with setting your car up.

Cheers,
Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc190uk View Post
Hi all

like many do im returning to the fold after many years away doing family stuff.
im really looking forward to getting back into it and hoping to get to the club this Tuesday or next just to chat.

ive gone out and bought a second hand schumacher kf off ebay but now need all the kit its a mine field to me these days but im buzzing and just want to get it running and attend a meeting
i know price is a factor but my skills used to be average so having the most expensive stuff is pointless, just want to be able to run it and not be getting lapped by everyone

i was looking at getting a wheeled controller 2.4g, is this any good
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1417835141...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

errm motor...no idea same with the esc wasn't sure what amp you all run and again batteries ! i know i need lipos but what size do you all run, i see this kf runs two batteries (shortys if im right?)

transponder ? or is that just on race days
tyres ? or can i just run the schumachers that are on it ?

arrghh so many questions

anyway im sure this is one of many thousand posts you get asking these questions but i just don't want to waste money i kit i dont need and i going crazy having a car that i cant use

anyway much appreciate any advice

kind regards
Steve

Nigel Powell - Schumacher - Silverstone RCMCC
Old 19-10-2015

thank you to you both, much appreciated.

Im now scanning ebay looking for some deals
so ill probably be a tight arse then and just get a controller and receiver that looks more than it costs
for ease ill try and find a combo set and from your advice go for 8.5t
ive currently got a steeled servo in the front from an old nitro car
just found this but probably too cheap and cheerful

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKYRC-CHEE...Fmb8DoadSssuSw

one question, cars set up for saddle packs, im just curious about what size batteries i need, i see them range from 4000-6500!
really looking forward to coming over, work may prevent me getting over tomorrow though, luckily this is a rarity.

once again

thank you for your time
regards

Steve

Last edited by Merc190uk; 19-10-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 19-10-2015

In one race you'll probably use something like 1500-2300mAh. You should never flatten the cells so if you charge up after every race (highly recommended) then you'll need LIPOs that are 3000mAh as a minimum. As you've already seen, almost all of them are larger than that so should be fine on that front. Going for higher capacity cells can provide a bit more power, but only if you go for the more expensive cells (with high "C" ratings) and it's likely that you'll have worn them out before you need the power anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about that just yet. You also might want to swap between shortys and saddles so don't spend a fortune on the first sets of LIPOs. Once you know what format you want and are getting up to speed with it all then some Thunder Power/Nosram/Intellect cells would be worthwhile. There are plenty of others too but they're all going to be about 3 times the price of the cheaper cells.
One thing I would definitely suggest is getting two sets of cells from the outset as there isn't really time to charge one set of cells between races on a club night. You'll want to have one set on charge while racing with the others and then swap over for the next race. Doing it that way gives them time to cool down properly before recharging too so will make them last a lot longer.

Wingers

Schumacher KC / KF / K1 Aero / MI4CXL - SRCMCC - Puppy Paint
Old 19-10-2015

wingers, once again thanks, off to order two sets of cells and charger and charging sack.

i assume these are cheap for a reason but had to ask

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKYRC-CHEE...Fmb8DoadSssuSw
Old 21-10-2015

kit all bought, thanks for the chat guys and the valuable information.

decided to go sensible
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-pa...roducts/385527

nice to meet you both and hopefully be over soon.

kind regards
Steve
Old 24-10-2015

That looks like it should be a good system to get you started Steve.
Let me know if you want to borrow some lipos for Tuesday and I'll bring them along.
Cheers,
Nige
Old 24-10-2015

Thanks,
got everything now and all set up on the table as of this evening, my servo is a little slow but its high torgue so will do for now.

The only issue ive got is i bought a 24t pinion to go with my 76 spur but messed up!!
not sure what ive got but its not meshing, research shows i needed a 48dp.

ive ordered the right one now but not sure ill have it by tuesday.
ive stuck a random 20t on it i found but even that feels a little notchy and it would be screaming its nuts off down the straight lol

looking forward to the morning to give it its first shake down in the street.
would go in the garden but dont want to get it dirty
Old 25-10-2015

first run today and very happy.
nothing fell off so thats a good start

a little too low geared so my rear tyres are now completely shot.
i believe a Schumacher stand is on site so i will buy a new set of tyres on the night
i booked tuesday night, do i you pay cash on the door and what time should i arrive and do i just set up anywhere and who do see when i get there and when do i know im on and should i wear a L plate lol
Old 25-10-2015

Old 25-10-2015

We normally start laying the track at 5pm, but as its half term and the students are off I think people will be there about 4.30 on Tuesday.
Track normally opens about 6pm for free practise (book in at race control before going on track) and racing usually starts at 7pm or soon after.
We can answer the rest of your questions on the night.
Old 25-10-2015

brilliant thank you for the info.
see you Tuesday.
i dont finish work untill five and its a 40 min drive home so hopefully ill be there just after six.
Old 28-10-2015

my first attempt to race this Tuesday turned out to be "one of those days"
from the moment i left work :/

turns out if you want to race you
A) need to not get stuck in traffic and turn up just as the qualifying starts
B) have a license
C) have the right gear ratio
D) have tyres with tread on them
E) ...........and apparently most people actually bring there batteries with them ! sounds like a novel idea must try it next time.

but despite all that i still had a great time ! and met some really nice and amazingly friendly and helpfull guys who donated batteries wheels with tyres and lipo bags ( i brought a charger lol )
so a big thanks to those i chatted to through the evening, had i not i probably would have walked out and given it up before starting.

cheers
Steve
Old 29-10-2015

Hi all,

would a Mylaps RC4 transponder work at silverstone ?
or is anyone selling a transponder?
thanks

Steve
Old 29-10-2015
Mad Member

Yes, or an RC4 compatible MRT...

https://www.facebook.com/Model-Racin...8590320257568/
Old 29-10-2015

excellent thanks
Old 16-11-2016

Default its been a year !

just popped onto the forum to see ive been doing this 12 months!

times flown by and loved the experience being at SRCMCC
got to see in the new venue at moulton and made friends with some great folk

upgraded to a kf2 se and even see a couple of B finals (number of members attending were down those weeks )

im still running my original speed passion motor! so that was a good suggestion, thanks.

broke a few servos, loads of wishbones and a fair few bulk heads and scared to work out how many tyres ive bought in the last year

so from newbie to average ive had a great first year
looking forward to another 12 months.
Old 19-11-2016

What's the venue like at Moulton? I've not been there but had been to the other place in the hall - that was an amazing track.
Old 19-11-2016

Its a personal thing but for me I love the technical side of the tight track, lap times average for me 15-16 seconds so one small mistake is costly.
They have several videos on YouTube I posted one with the go pro on the car. Same user name on YouTube.

I'd say come over and try it