Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 09-09-2008
Mad Member

Default Recycling

I usually recycle the wheels by replacing the tyres on them but have recently had many wheels where they are a bit beyond it and it seems a shame to put them into the bin to go to landfill so does anyone know what the plastic wheels are made from and whether they can be recycled? I would also like to know if anything could be done with the excess rubber tyre that has to be gotten rid of as well. It would also be good to know if anything could be done with any other plastic parts that break on these cars. I sometimes keep the broken parts as I usually find a use for them later when I fettle them into a new part for other modelling projects but many still have to go straight in the rubbish bin as I simply would not have enough room! But I would rather be putting the plastic in the recycling bin instead!
Old 09-09-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

it depends what your local councils recycling policy is, I know in Cardiff, it all goes into the household recycling bag... and gets sorted and reused....
Old 09-09-2008
Mad Member

I have a recycling in which takes plastic but only particular numbered plastic so I was wondering what number the wheels and parts of the car would be. Shame they do not take rubber as I have a lot of 1/8th tyres as well!
Old 09-09-2008

tried your local refuse center??
Old 09-09-2008
Mad Member

I took a load of glass from my old lean to conservatory to them and they just said to chuck it over the side with all the landfill rubbish so I do not have confidence in them. Trouble is they are trying to reach better recycling percentage but with that attitude they are not going to get very far! I though that new laws are being made whereby the manufacturer should be supplying the details of the materials used in the product so that we can then find a way of recycling it after is useful lifespan to us.
Old 09-09-2008

problem is, it takes a lot of expense to make a refuse site suitable for sustainable recycling... my local one is nearly finished being refurbished... all new
Old 09-09-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

easiest way of recycling them is give em away to the youngster,
Old 10-09-2008
Woop Woop Member

beat me to it carl by about 7 hours . old tyres and rims can always go to younger or new starting racers.even if a little buckled bent or bald they will still be of some help and save them money. iv not met a racer yet who isnt gratefull of a bag of them

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 10-09-2008

but, in these days of being enviromentally friendly, I can see what the poster is asking, I have sometimes wondered if the distributors/manufacturers could offer a recycling system, I am sure Schumacher would invest in a rubber grinder to recycle the rubber carcasses into new tyres....
Old 10-09-2008
Lee-Mag

With the rubber tyres that i acetone off, i save them all and take them with me when i go offshore, just incase my chopper goes down, i know they would make a great smoke signal

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 10-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
With the rubber tyres that i acetone off, i save them all and take them with me when i go offshore, just incase my chopper goes down, i know they would make a great smoke signal
haha.... you sure you will have enough time to get them out dude.... lol... do you still legally have to do the life saving training incase your jelly copter falls out of the sky?
Old 10-09-2008
Lee-Mag

Yeah, we have to do the survival training where the chopper body gets dunked in the water and rolled around a bit then we have to break a window and get out, during the training you do this six times in various scenarios and positions under the water, to be honest if my chopper went down id be happy to get out once

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 10-09-2008

they keep the water cold too don't they??
Old 10-09-2008
Lee-Mag

Yeah, where i did mine the water was 4 deg to simulate the north sea, they create a storm effect too with wind and rain and turn out the lights and stuff, its bloody cold though, especially if the suit doesn`t seal properly around your neck.

At one point you have to jump 10 metres off a platform to simulate jumping off a spider deck on the rig then swim like mad to a life boat thats not nice either, hitting the water from that height tried to rip your arms and legs off or hands slip and break your nose

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 10-09-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Yeah, we have to do the survival training where the chopper body gets dunked in the water and rolled around a bit then we have to break a window and get out, during the training you do this six times in various scenarios and positions under the water, to be honest if my chopper went down id be happy to get out once
i hate getting my chopper cold,especial the body,
Old 10-09-2008

whats the rate of hyperthermia at thos temps, it isn't long, even in the survival suits you have to wear on the helicopter is it
Old 16-09-2008
Mad Member

just chuck em on the fire at Spaz Tonys track Grant

thats where all mine go
Old 16-09-2008
Lee-Mag

when i did my survival we were told if the chopper goes down and your in the water then you get 4 mins in the survival suit, the idea is to get from the chopper to the raft without getting wet. Thats the north sea.

In a perfect world

If it goes down in the middle east then it depends how hungry the sea snakes and sharks are

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 21-09-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
just chuck em on the fire at Spaz Tonys track Grant
funny Adam
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/