Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 30-03-2012

you can thank John Watkins from Australia ,my club Pres who competed at the Cactus who sent me the pics of the x7
the car looks good ................like to know whats under the body thats such a secret !!!!!!
will be asking him a lot about the car when he gets home!!!!!!
hope u got on well Chazz as John is a top bloke!!!
i need a X7 now!!!!!!!!
Old 30-03-2012
Mad Member

We did a good podcast with John; it has been sent to the WebQueen and should go up, with a big bunch of others, in the next few days. The WebQueen is very pregnant, so some times things take a while.

Good bloke, John.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 30-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I managed to see it body off at the weekend...I won't try and describe it though for two reasons:

1. I'm sure the guys will show us when they are ready!

2. I've never really seen anything like it before, so I'd only describe it wrong anyway!
Old 30-03-2012

I don't think that shorty lipo would be enough in a 4WD (at the moment)
Old 30-03-2012

hmm gonna go out on a limb here and back up a statement i made much earlier in this thread about the trransmission layout.

If you look at the gearboxes, they are very small, and if you consider the size of a B4 type diff gear, well looking from the pics from the side its hard to see how theyve squeezed a diff, idler, and layshaft gear in there.

I think both gearboxes ONLY contain a diff and layshaft gear, which would mean the belts spin backwards to a regular belt driven 4wd.

This would then allow the motor to be rotated 180 degrees from a traditional belt driven car, so the motor would sit in place like it does on the Cat SX3 (motor shaft facing the left hand side of the car).

This way, there is no need for additional gears in the middle of the car, and it also means the motor can be used to control the car in the air much better.
Old 30-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
I managed to see it body off at the weekend...I won't try and describe it though for two reasons:

1. I'm sure the guys will show us when they are ready!

2. I've never really seen anything like it before, so I'd only describe it wrong anyway!
Same here, from a design point of view its rather interesting and well thought out. Just hope that some of these proto items actually appear on the car when its for sale to us lot.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 30-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
hmm gonna go out on a limb here and back up a statement i made much earlier in this thread about the trransmission layout.

If you look at the gearboxes, they are very small, and if you consider the size of a B4 type diff gear, well looking from the pics from the side its hard to see how theyve squeezed a diff, idler, and layshaft gear in there.

I think both gearboxes ONLY contain a diff and layshaft gear, which would mean the belts spin backwards to a regular belt driven 4wd.

This would then allow the motor to be rotated 180 degrees from a traditional belt driven car, so the motor would sit in place like it does on the Cat SX3 (motor shaft facing the left hand side of the car).

This way, there is no need for additional gears in the middle of the car, and it also means the motor can be used to control the car in the air much better.
When I was looking at the pictures closely yesterday I was actually wondering the same thing. It looked like there may be no idler gear in each gearbox which means reverse rotation belts. My way of thinking states that in 2wd we need to rely on some weight transfer from motor and gearbox rotation to help get weight either on the drive wheels during acceleration or the front wheels during braking but on a 4wd we'd want no weight transfer that isn't natural since every wheel drives and brakes. Counter rotating belts would help cancel out the rotation of the wheels to a certain extent and if the motor were placed near the center of the chassis it's rotation could be used to help chassis orientation in the air.

Keep in mind this is all opinion and speculation.
Old 30-03-2012

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

I love to see all the thinking and speculation I will say some of you are getting pretty close to the mark. Also, pretty much everything you guys are discussing (motor rotation, number of belts and placement, chassis layout, etc) has been tested by us over the last ~2 years, form the old "test bed" cars through what Ellis and I are running now. I am a firm believer in track testing ideas, rather than going from CAD to molds. Among other things, this is still the first whole car I've designed myself, and I very much want to get it right.

I know we come across as "teasing" with the no body-off shots, but there's of course a few reasons why. First, we have been changing nearly everything, and showing off the design last year or 6 months ago wouldn't represent the car we're working on now/going to be selling as the X - 7. Especially the electronics mounting room and weight distribution is much better now, and those are things that dramatically change the look of a car's layout. Second, I believe we've solved a number of issues regarding this drivetrain and chassis layout. It may sound slightly paranoid, but I'd rather not give competitors time to look/study/copy even before we're ready to release it.

All that said, I think we're getting pretty close. The new "v6.0" car solved a lot of issues we'd found with the older cars and had only one design flaw that needs fixing (I'll be honest, I bent the slipper shaft at Cactus. I had a spare and made a track-side hot-fix for it, but we need to re-design the supports as the spur/slipper assembly are too far from the supporting bearing at the moment).

It's been guessed/posted that they are 2-gear transmissions (diff and top shaft), and I think Chazz posted that it's a pure B4 diff inside, for parts continuity between all our cars. Small details I've been happy to share with people at the track but I haven't seen posted:
*The front and rear gearboxes are the same
*Pop a ballcup and pull 2 screws and the front gearbox comes out. 3 screws to get the rear one out because the left wing mount is in the way.
*Modular construction - the entire "rear clip" or "front clip" can be pulled off in 5 screws, much like an 1/8th scale car comes apart.
Old 02-04-2012
Mad Member

Paul's X - 7 was ballistic at ARCS Hobbies near Ashtabula, Ohio over the weekend. He finally got things together for round four Sunday AM, TQing the round by over 5 seconds on the only 18-lap run.

In the main it was clearly the fastest car on the track but was sidelined by the same problem as at Cactus, except on the other side: a front CVD stub axle broke. Wheel still on and rotating, but 3 WD now. We are looking into possible causes (could be too much steering throw!). This is why we test so much, as Paul says above. Yes it takes forever to get the car to you, but when you get it it's right.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 03-04-2012

[QUOTE=colmo;637895]+1. Are those front wishbones original, or from another car? They're huge! Are the diffs Team Associated, B44 or (N)TC3? The front driveshafts are also enormous...

This car looks the real deal, but I fear the cost will be astronomical with all that milled alloy and carbon fibre :S - maybe a case of 5 minutes of (wallet) pain, followed by several years of (racing) pleasure....

The gearboxes also seem to be delrin/nylon as opposed to alloy,as to wether they will be produced in alloy?

Also is it me or does the front appear to run two belts,seen through the window on the pic with the car facing you.possibly running a single belt fron the motor/slipper assembly,on one side then from the other side to the rear,still giving a two belt setup?
probably just my suspect eyesight!!

Still badly want one either way!!

My Feedback..http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85397
Old 03-04-2012
oOple Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILKY View Post
The gearboxes also seem to be delrin/nylon as opposed to alloy,as to wether they will be produced in alloy?
They'll probably be moulded plastic, but you cannot machine that kind of moulded plastic, you can with Delrin/nylon, that's why it's used in most prototype cars from diverse companies.
Old 03-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILKY View Post

Also is it me or does the front appear to run two belts,seen through the window on the pic with the car facing you.possibly running a single belt fron the motor/slipper assembly,on one side then from the other side to the rear,still giving a two belt setup?
probably just my suspect eyesight!!
Looks like it maybe a ladder brace running front to rear and up and over the motor,servo,receiver,esc etc as there's a similar piece of carbon on the right rear view
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 03-04-2012

the arms r schumacher the chassie is flat carbon with 4 plates at the top like ladder frame and i beleave two belts and two b4 trannies with 3 gears!
i also beleave it may hav a splliter for front to rear drive bias???????

cant wait to have one ......as its looking good and going by reports super fast!!!!

here is the best body off shot i can show u .....you cant see much but dont want to let too much out!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x7 body off.jpg (76.9 KB, 377 views)
Old 04-04-2012
Mad Member

It will be a CF car, which we will make in house, saving money for us and you. As with many other 4WDs, there will be a good few aluminum bits, so the X - 7 will not be the cheapest thing on the market. But it also will be far from the most expensive.

The transmission cases will be molded; Delrin is among the best materials to machine for precision parts like trans cases, thus prototypes from Delrin. The tranny mold will be made and run by the same company that makes our current 4-Gear trans; that is one beautiful trans so we expect top quality there.

We will mold our own arms. Current X - 7 prototypes are running Shuey front arms that have been heavily modified to fit.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 10-04-2012

Still not taking orders yet Im really looking forward to this, Ive already got my cash put away for it! Im currently running and loving my x6 Keep up the good work guys.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...517#post642517
Old 15-05-2012

Ellis takes 3rd at R2 BRCA national held at Robin Hood Raceway according to report here
http://www.rcracer.com/off-road-elec...honours-shared
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 16-05-2012
Mad Member

E's 3rd was with his Gen 5.2 car. The 6.2 will be shipped to him this week and he should have it for E.P.R.

Paul ran the 6.1 at Cactus and found two small issues, which we believe the 6.2 solves. We think the 6.2 is a pre-production car.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 25-05-2012
Mad Member

In response to a question on RCTech about body-off pix, I posted this:

"There are some things going on in the driveline, engineering principles we have been working with since the very first 'test bed' cars, which make the X - 7 accelerate and run faster, and we don't want people seeing them. We keep getting closer. Ellis and Paul are both assembling their new Gen 6.2 cars as I write, and Ellis will run his in the National at E.P.R.

The 6.2 is, we hope, the last prototype. If it works as we think it will, next up is to produce about 10 of them for Team drivers and work out set-ups, gearing, etc. During that time we also commission a body, and then we're ready to send out R.F.P.s to the Supplier Family."

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 25-05-2012

buy one when it comes out and then u will see whats under the body....

im hanging for this car!!!! after seeing BIG E,s car on video at the last round of the English champs the car has heaps of punch out of corners!!!!
also chazz we just had round 2 of our drivers championship and im glad to say im leading after the 2 rounds so fingers crossed for three championships in a row!!!!
the last round was held on a very slippery track and the X6 TQed the only thing i had to change was the rear spring the car was great!!!!!! u can find some pics of my X6 on my facebook page!!!

my X5 is still running strong but got smashed in the finals and had my car broken twice so was not happy!!!!

speedie dads x5 chassie mod looks great!!!!!

And as u know the X6 is the 2012 stock Australian champion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25-05-2012
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_doctor View Post

speedy dad's x5 chassis mod looks great!!!!!
Not heard of this, tell me more