Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 12-10-2012

Default Clueless Newbie

Hi all

I have an Ansmann Mad Monkey, and getting frustrated by the juddering when pulling away. It seems I need to go sensorless, but what combo?

Looked at the Speed Passion Revention R, but might be over the top for an amature, as I don't need too much adjustment - I'll just get confused!

What are peoples toughts? I do like the look of the Speed Passion range. Preferably deans, with switch and fan. Must have reverse..

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

I too have a Mad Monkey but i dont get any juddering. I run a Bullistorm esc and an Ezrun 4300kva sensorless motor with no probs if that any help. Mine keeps up easily with others at our track who run things like Durangos and Losi.
Old 12-10-2012

Thanks, but even more confused now..... I thought sensorless had to be the way ahead!
Old 12-10-2012

Are you on 40mhz or 2.4ghz? I had some crazy things going on, mostly juddering at high speed and occasionally at low speed, tried all different electrics then did the 2.4ghz frsky mod to my transmitter and it's smooth as anything now
Old 12-10-2012

Default Sensored - Sensorless

Simply put, Sensored is better than Sensorless.

Sensored - the speed controller knows exactly where the rotor is while it is rotating via the sensor lead so starts and slow speed control of the motor is smoother - no 'cogging' or stuttering

Sensorless - the speed controller does not know where the rotor in the motor is so slower control of the motor sometimes means 'cogging' or stuttering starts but once the rotor picks up a bit of speed generally everything is ok.
Old 12-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE90 View Post
Hi all

I have an Ansmann Mad Monkey, and getting frustrated by the juddering when pulling away. It seems I need to go sensorless, but what combo?

Looked at the Speed Passion Revention R, but might be over the top for an amature, as I don't need too much adjustment - I'll just get confused!

What are peoples toughts? I do like the look of the Speed Passion range. Preferably deans, with switch and fan. Must have reverse..

Thanks!
If you have the motor that is supplied with a Mad Monkey RTR - then that is sensorless, and juddering from a standstill is typical of sensorless systems.

For a smooth start you need a SENSORED system which is what all racers use.

The SP Reventon is fine, I had the Stock Club Race version for a while recently until I blew it up (my fault) The amount of adjustment available on them is not particularly large unless you start messing with the boosted stock1 firmware. To be honest I can't think if anything very simple that is raceworthy.

You will also need a sensored motor to go with the ESC.
Old 12-10-2012

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes standard sensorless. So what do we think to these:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-pa...roducts/368090

or

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-pa...roducts/368088

and

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-pa...products/35157

Not sure what the difference is between the s and r. Perhaps the s doesn't have reverse? All very confusing!

Appreciate any more help before I order......

Yes, running 2.4GHz, so the transmitter mod sounds interesting....?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2012
Mad Member

The Reventon S is a 40 Amp ESC and has a motor limit of 9.5
The Reventon R is a 70 Amp ESC and has a motor limit of 5.5
The Reventon PRO is a 140 Amp ESC and has a motor limit of 3.5
Old 12-10-2012

Default 2.4Ghz

If you are already running 2.4Ghz then there is no need to do the FRsky modification. This usually means converting an older 40Mhz transmitter to run 2.4Ghz - Ideal if you have an expensive transmitter that you would like to keep on using but want to run 2.4Ghz, like an old Futaba Field Force 3 or older KO Propo systems.
Old 12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
The Reventon S is a 40 Amp ESC and has a motor limit of 9.5
The Reventon R is a 70 Amp ESC and has a motor limit of 5.5
The Reventon PRO is a 140 Amp ESC and has a motor limit of 3.5
Thanks, just not sure which one would best suit my needs. To be safe, I though I would stick to the same 10.5T as standard, otherwise I would need to change the gear??

What is the significance of the Amps? I am runnning LiPo stick pack.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2012
Mad Member

Personally I'd go for the 'R' if you can afford it.

The 'S' has a limit of 9.5 so would run the 10.5 but it limits further upgrades in motor and is running close to the limit, plus you get extra software advantages with the 'R', much more adjustability like the Hybrid Boost feature..
Old 12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
Personally I'd go for the 'R' if you can afford it.

The 'S' has a limit of 9.5 so would run the 10.5 but it limits further upgrades in motor and is running close to the limit, plus you get extra software advantages with the 'R', much more adjustability like the Hybrid Boost feature..
OK, great, thanks. Is this pretty much plug and play, I.e. easy to set up with the supplied program card? Is there a fan that will fit? Sorry, but what is the boost. Again, easy to set up? Just don't want to get frustrated by not understanding what I end up buying!!

Cheers
Old 12-10-2012

Also, what gear would I need if I went for the 9.5T or 8.5T?

Cheers
Old 12-10-2012

still dont count on being judder free, i run sensorless in everything and there are several drivers at the club who run sensored whose cars are not as smooth off the line as mine is. try gearing down slightly and if you can, try different timing settings on the speedo, believe me that can help a lot
Old 12-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE90 View Post
OK, great, thanks. Is this pretty much plug and play, I.e. easy to set up with the supplied program card? Is there a fan that will fit? Sorry, but what is the boost. Again, easy to set up? Just don't want to get frustrated by not understanding what I end up buying!!

Cheers

Both the S and R are supplied with a LED Program Card and Fan

To be honest though i've only got the Pro Version and is dead simples to setup !!

I'm getting the 'R' Versions for my 11 year old as i'm so impressed
Old 12-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgydiy View Post
still dont count on being judder free, i run sensorless in everything and there are several drivers at the club who run sensored whose cars are not as smooth off the line as mine is. try gearing down slightly and if you can, try different timing settings on the speedo, believe me that can help a lot
If a Sensored System is juddering or Clogging then there's a problem, something is wrong and needs to be addressed !!
Old 13-10-2012

Right, so sensored it is I think. If I go for a 8.5T instead of the 10.5T replacement, what gear do I need? How do I gear it down?

Getting there! Thanks
Old 14-10-2012

So just not sure what gearing I need if I go from a standard 10T to 8.5T motor....? Both brushless... Thanks
Old 14-10-2012

if you have the rtr mad monkey,the brushless that they come with is sensorless and is totally rubbish.it cog's so much that you'd think its faulty.the esc is rubbish.for a budget cost the EZ run esc's are easy to setup and use.the motors are not bad actually,its the esc.
i do have a hpi flux reload which is the same as the Ez run which i could sell to you for 27 quid posted.

thanks
hope that helps.

My Feedback : [URL]http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86486[/URL]
Old 14-10-2012

Sorry, so this is the ESC, but I would also to change the motor to sensored to completely sort the judder??