Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 02-10-2006

Default Custom length CVDs

Hi guys,

I have just started a new project, and had hoped to use off the shelf parts, but now im thinking im going to need some custom length CVDs. Whats the best way of going about this? I hear it is possible to chop a cvd bone a braze some steel tube in, but i dont know how well this will hold. I'd prefer to have some made for a cleaner look, but does anyone know where i could get some done??

thanks
Old 02-10-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think MIP will do them to length, I'm not sure how many you'll have to order though
Old 02-10-2006
Mad Member

I think it's a costly job, I seem to remember Doom (from DC Racing) looking into this when he started the Mako prototype.

That prototype ended up using the the cut and shut method you described. Seemed to work.
Old 02-10-2006

OK, thanks for the responses.

I'll try getting in touch with MIP, but like you say i think that'll be costly, and i only need a couple of bones, plus a few spare.

A friend owns a lathe so i may see if he can help knock some up.

And another question...Does anyone know the difference in length between the front and rear CVD bone lengths on the BJ4/BJ4 worlds???

Thanks Again
Old 02-10-2006

FYI:

I emailed MIP about custom sized CVD bones here's their response:

Dear Thomas,

The first way to go about this would be to give us the
length of the CVD bone. We will then have the engineer check and see the nearest avaliable CVD bone we have. If we can't find a bone that will do the job we can go the custom way. Enclosed at the terms to do that.

Best regards,
Sue Schlueter
General Manager

9/06

MIP Custom CVD™ Bones Program:

Price: $75.00
Quantity: 4 pieces
Additional bones: $15.00 each

Due to intense public demand MIP now offers a custom CVD™ system. Racers can now order a custom length CVD™ bone right from our factory via fax or email. Here is what we will need to proceed with an order.

1. You must provide us with an existing MIP part number that you are looking to alter the length of.
2. We need the overall length that you are looking for end to end.
3. You will need a credit card. All orders are prepaid via Visa or MasterCard prior to us manufacturing your bones.
4. We need your shipping information (this must match your billing info) as well as your shipping preference, which you are also responsible for.

When you are ready to place your order here is how it will work.

1. MIP will only manufacture a CVD™ bone that already exists in our system. All specs will apply with the new custom overall length (either longer or shorter).
2. MIP will only manufacture a CVD™ bone that meets our current minimum or maximum capacity per our manufacturing capabilities.
3. Once MIP’s engineer has signed off a custom order a MIP sales rep will contact you with the acceptance and the total due to be charged to your credit card.
4. Upon payment your order’s lead time will be 2 to 4 weeks.

Rush service details.

1. If a rush order is requested the base fee increases from $75.00 to $200.00 plus shipping and will have a lead time of 10 days (upon approval from our engineer).

...Thats not as much as i thought it'd be, but ive had a word with my friend who's now going to do them for me.

Tom
Old 02-10-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thats a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

BJ4 bones are 75.25mm front and 62.25mm rear to the centres of each pin
Old 03-10-2006
Mad Member

Much better than I thought too.